Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 28 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 20:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Satellites and Planes

bowtie`
488 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 28, 2008 20:17 |  #1

Probably most people that get an image contaminated with a plane or a satellite throw the image in the trash. Anyone keep any that made a neat looking image? Here is one from last evening of both planes and a satellite in one image. I also will post a crop of the area to see better.

Camera 5D, ISO 200, TV 484 sec., AV 4.0, Lens 24-70mm @24mm, single image

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
Simoli
685 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 28, 2008 21:07 |  #2

Not finding the satellite

Jim (external link)
www.simoli.net (external link) || Gear List

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 28, 2008 21:32 |  #3

Looking good ! I see two plane trails and one satellite trail . The satellite actually looks like a IF (Iridium Flare) which is a satellite that comes over and increases in brightness over certain areas of earth . This is caused from the angle of the solar panels reflecting the suns light after sundown .

jrader
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 29, 2008 18:50 |  #4

I keep most of mine anyway just for memories sake. I took a long exposure one night, and I had a car, a boat, an airplane, a helicopter, and a satellite migrate through the image. You can't control the environment around you unfortunately.

At least the shot was in focus! I throw more of those images away.

Keep up the good work.

John

www.GreatEscapePhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)
Instagram: @greatescapephotograph​y (external link)

bowtie`
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 29, 2008 20:13 |  #5

Thanks Celestron and jrader. I liked how the satellite and one plane came real close to intersecting at the celestial north pole. When that satellite flared-up I happened to be looking right there and I was amazed at just how bright it got even to the naked eye. I was kind of hoping that it would show up in the image well, and it did.

pretzelhead
72 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 30, 2008 17:40 |  #6

Did you fire the flash to get the silo lit?

7D |EOS 20D | Nifty Fifty | Canon EFS 10-22MM f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200L 4.5 | EFS 70-300 | EFS 18-55 3.5-5.6 |

bowtie`
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 30, 2008 20:48 |  #7

pretzelhead wrote in post #6412109 (external link)
Did you fire the flash to get the silo lit?

No I did not fire a flash. I do not even own a flash. The yellow glow on the front and right side of the silo is from the sky-glow of Indianapolis which is about 25 miles to the southwest. It is really bright on long exposures. The green on the left side of the silo is from a florescent secuirty light from a farm between an eightth to a quarter mile away in that direction. I really need to invest in an Light Pollution filter to do these better.

Jeff
Goldmember
1,457 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 01, 2008 07:13 as a reply to  @ bowtie`'s post |  #8

This is an otherwise junkie image of M27 but it caught a satellite passing through.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff
70D | Tokina 12-24 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon 28-135 IS| 430EX
Astrophotograpy: QHY9M, Optolong LRGB filters, Meade 10" SCT, Orion EON 110mm APO, iOptron CEM60 to keep it all off the ground.
MY AIRPLANE PICS (external link) | MY ASTRO PICS (external link)

John_B
Cream of the Crop
7,206 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 01, 2008 07:25 |  #9

bowtie`,
I like how the silo got lit up :)
I also have run into similar light pollution like in this photo a plane flew right into the picture, but I liked it :)

Star Motion

IMAGE: http://johnbdigital.com/misc/star_motion.jpg
click for specsIMAGE LINK: http://johnbdigital.co​m/misc/star_motion.htm  (external link)

Sony A6500, A6000, Apeman A80, & a bunch of Lenses.............  (external link)
click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,255 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 01, 2008 07:43 |  #10

I really like the first image - the plane/satellites definitely add something there.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 01, 2008 08:21 |  #11

jseivert wrote in post #6415345 (external link)
This is an otherwise junkie image of M27 but it caught a satellite passing through.

Jeff that is a bummer in this perticular image . An imagers night mare but i have been there also . Can you clone it out ? Outside the plane it looks like a very nice image tho !

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 01, 2008 08:23 |  #12

Bowtie , still another very nice star trail image . Keep at it tho cause you will eventually get a clean star trail image .

john123
Goldmember
1,166 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 01, 2008 08:27 |  #13

Interesting , I had never thought of photographing satellites.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 01, 2008 08:58 |  #14

john123 wrote in post #6415645 (external link)
Interesting , I had never thought of photographing satellites.

Theres lots to be imaged but you really have to know your night sky enough to find out when and where they travel . Go to Heavens-Above (external link) and register and if you have google earth then find your location and write down your latitude and longtitude and fill in your location at H-A and save it and everytime you revisit you just sign in and your fixed for your location for all objects coming over you . It also gives you sky maps to show their paths and time to be very accurate . Even when the ISS comes over or IFs' (iridium flares) , comets , other satelites . Lots info here and its' free and your safe cause your info is strictly confidential ! Look HERE (external link) at my website , i have an image of the ISS and an IF i took in the past .

sponsored links

2,886 views & 0 likes for this thread
Satellites and Planes
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.