Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 29 Sep 2008 (Monday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

May 19, 2010 11:58 |  #436

bwolford wrote in post #10204814 (external link)
I've been out of touch with our little club... Some nice posts here.

My daughter's season ended at Region 8 regionals. She needed a 8.5 on floor (where she's never scored less than a 9.0) to make the national team. She complained of a sore back (it was broken 2 years ago and she said it felt like it was broken again). Despite the sore back she decided to compete her final event (floor). On her last pass, she landed poorly and dislocated her ankle, uglies injury I've ever seen. It was her last pass. She couldn't finish the routine. As she was being wheeled to the ambulance (we thought it was a complete fracture just above the ankle) she asked what her score was. 8.0 despite not finishing the pass. She still came in 14 AA. Would have been 4th or 5th if she had finished... Ugh. So 3 months of rehab is about to start after 6 weeks in a cast.

See you next season!!!

Sorry to hear that Brice. Part of the sport I guess. I hope her physical therapy and recovery is successful...

Emily finished surgery & 5 months of rehab only to have her knee dislocate again on the floor. I carried her off. 7 months to the minute of surgery. I know because I have the date stamp from the pictures as she hit the ground...........

Part of the sport I guess.

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

sponsored links
bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 19, 2010 12:16 as a reply to  @ post 10205567 |  #437

Thanks guys. She'll be fine.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

May 19, 2010 12:17 |  #438

Hikin Mike wrote in post #10204069 (external link)
My daughter competed in her last gymnastic meet of the season on Sunday. I was really wasn't looking forward for to it because parking is terrible and I really don't care for the town (Berkeley). We were happy to see a few vacant spots close by, so I was pretty happy with that. The lighting is by far the best lit gym so far.

Out of 15 in her age group (Level 5, 11+ up), she placed: Vault 8.2000 5th; Bars 8.7500 3rd; Beam 8.1500 8th; Floor 9.1000 1st; AA 34.200 3rd. This was here best AA (All-Around) so far, despite a fall on the beam. Our team came in first for that session (Level 5) to boot!

Nice scores for her!

These gyms are impossible to work with. Personally i have made a conscious effort to shoot wide open and as close as I can get to the action to try and blow out the horrible backgrounds. And even then things get too busy.

Using some unusual angles helps:

IMAGE: http://www.ymcagymstars.com/2009-10%20Photos/Wausau2010/slides/RST_9333.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.ymcagymstars.com/2009-10%20Photos/DoorCounty2010/slides/RST_0643.jpg

Shooting wide open....at least in this one, the damn sign in the background is slightly OOF. Why do these gyms hang yellow, orange and green paper everywhere?

IMAGE: http://www.ymcagymstars.com/2009-10%20Photos/DoorCounty2010/slides/RST_1071.jpg

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

BSully
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 08, 2014 20:34 as a reply to  @ GBRandy's post |  #439

My 50D, a new (to me) 135mm L + Awesome tips I picked up from lurking on this thread = a really fun competition to close out our Level 3 Season for 2013/2014!! Thanks to everyone on this thread. C&C welcome, the lack of face / eyes drives me nuts, but I could not get in the perfect position due to the typical positioning of equipment. My PP may need some work as well I realize...

The most fun thing about the 135L is that I have no one to blame but myself for out of focus and other technical issues - forces me to do a better job.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

NetJohn
82 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 09, 2014 12:21 |  #440

Hate to say this BSully, but neither of those would have made my cut, especially the no-face bars shot. There is a reason that my company shoots Floor and Beam mostly, and Bars from straight on: faces.

Remember, you can step down the 135/2 to 3.5 or so to increase your DoF.

Leos look very familiar. What gym?

John

Canon Shooter

BSully
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 09, 2014 22:46 as a reply to  @ NetJohn's post |  #441

Thanks John. I'll mess more with the dof at the next competition. I know that I've got work to do, I did not like the angle for bars at all, but I shot what I could. I was very happy with the photos from this meet because they were a vast improvement over previous photos with the slow to focus nifty fifty and the slow (glass) 28-135 mm IS. You mention your company which sounds like people pay you for your shots, I hope they are much better than mine, as I'm just a Dad with a day job. Don't take me wrong, I do want to improve my skills, but I was pleased to get some bright photos with frozen action. BTW - the gym was very dim at the bars and I would have been nervous about stopping it down. An 85mm would have allowed me to get a different angle for the bars, not sure if it would have helped in the end or not.

NetJohn
82 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 10, 2014 08:08 |  #442

BSully, I understand the day job, no problem. I just noticed you're shooting a 50D at ISO 1600. I don't have a 50D, but I recall that the noise increase wasn't that bad going from 1600 to 3200, which means f/2.8 is a possibility.

For the Vault, I would have got her just before she flipped (face-on), then again as she's vertical. Of course, the salute to the judges at the end (typically with a big smile!) are always great shots.

With the exception of the DoF, the are technically very good. You'll be there soon.

And FYI, my shooters use either a 85/1.8 or 85/1.2 or 135/2 when we get the bad gyms if needed, although with the 1D4 and 5D3 high ISO, most of the time we can still use the 70-200/2.8.

Where abouts are you (roughly)?

John

Canon Shooter

BSully
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 10, 2014 16:48 as a reply to  @ NetJohn's post |  #443

The 85 is on the list for sure!!! More for the wider view than the additional stop. I do like primes and will probably not get any other zooms.

Thanks for the tips on the ISO. I was afraid to push that any harder because of my lack of pp skills, plus inexperience shooting such high iso. Sadly, any additional experience will need to wait. I need to send the body in for repair, it has never gone into manual mode properly. I should have sent it in right after I got it, but I did not. This will probably cost me in the end!! I hope it is just a short in the selector switch.

I did get some shots "just before" as you mentioned, I'll have to pp and post those. My favorite shot of the day was before she got onto the beam. No action, but I had the front facing shot and some good context.

I'm in SW Ohio, but I think the Leos are ordered from a catalogue, so they might be the same as something you've seen before.

I'll try to post the other 2 later tonight.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 10, 2014 17:12 |  #444

The 85L II is workable for gymnastics so long as 85mm is the focal length you want for the shot. But overall the 70-200/2.8 IS II is more flexible, and if you are buying an 85mm lens just for gymnastics then the 85/1.8 is probably a better choice.

I have an 85L for other things, so I use it for sports sometimes too. It can work, but has limitations.
Here is the 85L on the horse.

HOSTED PHOTO

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

BSully
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 11, 2014 21:12 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #445

Went through all the photos from the weekend again and I do have a lot of work to do. Still happy with all that I learned from everyone posting on this thread, but I'm amazed at how often I missed the focus point (AI Servo) or how the f2 was a little too thin. Pushing the ISO up higher and stopping to f2.8 will be on the practice list until competition starts again next year.

HOSTED PHOTO

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 11, 2014 23:24 |  #446

The 85 1.8 is a great gymnastics lens, last year I added the 135 to compliment it and at the end of the season I loved the 135 compared to the 85, for the contrast and sharpness it delivered, but the 85 framing was working much better with the crop factor in place on my 7D.

I would not get discouraged by having things to learn, I remember going initially with a 450D and a 70-200 f4 and posting the results on the internet and having them pretty much shredded, but I kept at it started to get better each time I went and took photos posted them and learned what to look for; the more time you put into it the more you'll evolve.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

90,838 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.