Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Sep 2008 (Monday) 15:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Medium format lens to the APS-C DSLR? Good or bad idea?

robgr85
890 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 29, 2008 15:21 |  #1

I've started similar topic at Strobist.com group, wonder what are Your thoughts about my idea:

I am wondering about buying manual medium format primes to my EOS400D. There are mounts with AF cheating chips (AF confirmation) giving me the ability to connect medium format lenses to my camera. I am not worried about manual aperture setting and focusing. I am using now some M42 mount type lenses, and know how to cope with "full manual mode".

Just wonder about the image quality. What about image optical resolution (MTF)? Will it be better than with normal APS-C type lens? What about chromatic aberration and other distortions? I'm considering getting some Mamiya 645 sekor C lenses. Which ones? I would be pretty interested now in 80mm f4 macro and 210 f4 prime.

But... is it worth it? What about the image quality of Mamiya/Hasselblad prime lenses connected to aps-c body? My first thoughts when hearing 'mamiya' were allways associated with 'quality'. But how about connection canon-mamiya?

Or maybe the advantage of medium format photography is only in its sensor/film size, and the lenses does not need to be opticaly better than the ones dedicated to 35mm cameras?

I googled the topic, but it is very hard to find any samples :( Does anyone from here tried it? Can You post any samples? Did You performed any optical tests in similar setup?

direct link to the topic on flickr:
http://flickr.com …iscuss/72157607​540066435/ (external link)

Any comments here on POTN apreciated.

Robert

Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,783 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 29, 2008 22:57 |  #2

The larger the format for which a lens is designed, the lower the lines/per millimeter rating achieved by the lens. This is because of the need to cover a larger image circle, so achieving high rating in lines/mm is more difficult and expensive. Microfilm lenses offer super high resolution but they only need to deliver it to tiny microfiche sized images. You are right that the lenses for medium format do not need to be higher resolution than 135 format lenses; but they do not trail far behind, for the higher quality lenses.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

robgr85
THREAD ­ STARTER
890 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 30, 2008 06:56 |  #3

I do not know if I correclty understand You: You do claim that generally medium format lenses resolution is lower than small sensor ones.

Will there be any difference in image quality if I would manage to cover the APS-C sensor (lets say by bringing the lens closer to the sensor) with the entire picture generated from 645 format lens (is it technically possible to achieve that?)?

Cheers,
Robert

Blog (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,783 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 30, 2008 07:55 |  #4

robgr85 wrote in post #6408644 (external link)
I do not know if I correclty understand You: You do claim that generally medium format lenses resolution is lower than small sensor ones.

Will there be any difference in image quality if I would manage to cover the APS-C sensor (lets say by bringing the lens closer to the sensor) with the entire picture generated from 645 format lens (is it technically possible to achieve that?)?

Cheers,
Robert

Generally, Yes, the expectation is lower lens resolution. Reality may be wrong...an especially great medium format lens vs. an especially mediocre 35mm lens might have the medium format lens deliver more resolution, but that is an exception...usually at best you might assume equal resolution from the two lenses.

To answer your second question, while using a small medium format lens might provide greater resolution (I don't recall seeing this validated in tests) than a larger medium format lens (like 6x7), in theory what you say in the second paragraph is better.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

robgr85
THREAD ­ STARTER
890 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 30, 2008 17:13 |  #5

Thank You for Your explanation.

Cheers,
Robert

Blog (external link)

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 30, 2008 21:17 |  #6

robgr85 wrote in post #6408644 (external link)

A 645 lens will easily cover APS-C. There WILL be a difference in image quality, though. Imagine taking a 645 camera, taking a picture, enlarging it to a 24x36 inch poster. Now take an APS-C sized crop out of it and enlarge it to 24x35 inches. You'll have had to enlarge the APS-C image 3 times as much to get to the same output, which means that the detail density (aka resolution) will be 3 times lower.

Wilt wrote in post #6407248 (external link)
The larger the format for which a lens is designed, the lower the lines/per millimeter rating achieved by the lens. This is because of the need to cover a larger image circle, so achieving high rating in lines/mm is more difficult and expensive.

And it's not necessary, because larger formats are enlarged less, and therefore don't demand so much on-film resolution.

That said, the Mamiya rangefinder lenses for 6x6 and 6x7 are as sharp as almost any 35mm lens out there, they consistently get 80-100 lp/mm. The Hasselblad-Zeiss lenses get 80 lp/mm, as do the Rollei-Schneider lenses.

But I don't see much of a point in adapting MF lenses for small format unless you're using it as a tilt-shift lens with an adapter.

Canon 5D Mark IV, 24-105L II, 17 TS-E f/4L, MPE 65, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L, 400 L
Film gear: Agfa 8x10, Cambo 4x5, Noblex 150, Hasselblad 500 C/M

robgr85
THREAD ­ STARTER
890 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 01, 2008 05:42 |  #7

Tilt - shift is the primary project in which I want to use my Medium Format lens, but I wonder If there could be any other good usage field for that lens...

Cheers,
Robert

Blog (external link)

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 01, 2008 20:48 as a reply to  @ robgr85's post |  #8

If you're interested in a tilt-shift, then I'd get a tilt-shift. The adapters for MF lenses are expensive unto themselves, and you have to be comfortable with manual aperture settings, etc. It's not a simple solution.

And since you mentioned it, I'd like to sell my Canon 24mm tilt-shift lens, which is in outstanding condition -- just need the funds for other things. So let me know if that interests you.

Canon 5D Mark IV, 24-105L II, 17 TS-E f/4L, MPE 65, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L, 400 L
Film gear: Agfa 8x10, Cambo 4x5, Noblex 150, Hasselblad 500 C/M

sponsored links

8,237 views & 0 likes for this thread
Medium format lens to the APS-C DSLR? Good or bad idea?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.