Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Feb 2005 (Saturday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

E1 Hand Strap

pcasciola
POTN SHOPKEEPER
3,130 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 12, 2005 10:06 |  #1

In case anyone is interested, I just got a Canon E1 hand strap for my 20D. It has a really nice feel to it, but was not very easy to figure out how to attach correctly, and comes with no instructions. I'm not sure about the 10D and 300D, but on the 20D you have to have the BG-E2 grip attached for the additional eyelet to attach the strap too.

After poking around for a while I came across these instructions, so I figured I'd post them here in case anyone else buys this strap and is stumped on the proper attachment of it.

IMAGE: http://www.casciola.com/pics/e1strap.jpg

Philip Casciola
Pro Camera Gear (external link) - POTN Shop (external link)
Canon 7D, EF 50/1.8, EF 85/1.8, EF 300/4L IS, EF-S 18-55, Tamron 28-75/2.8, EF 70-200/2.8L IS
Sigma 1.4x & 2x, Tamron 1.4x, Gitzo 2220 Explorer, 322RC2 grip

sponsored links
Paul_O
351 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 12, 2005 10:44 |  #2

Without going to far off topic, for those that don't have the Battery Grip, I use the Hakuba hand strap on my 300D which is readily available on Ebay and I'm sure many brick and mortar stores. To me it's much more useful than the neck strap however it's got an additional lug on the left hand side so you can still use the neck strap if so desired.

Paul

My Gallery
http://www.pbase.com/p​aul_oh (external link)

My Gear
30D, Tokina 12-24 f4, Tokina 28-70 f2.8 ATX-Pro, 70-200 f4L

RJSorensen
Goldmember
1,706 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 12, 2005 11:24 |  #3

Can you still use the neck strap with the Canon model? How does that work . . . or not.

"With Some Practice . . . I Am Able to Believe Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast!"
5D, 20D, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 16-35 L, EF-S 17-85, EF 24-70 L, EF 100-400 L, 1.4 TC II, Tubes, 550 EX, 580 EX.

Edgar ­ in ­ ATL
374 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Feb 12, 2005 11:41 as a reply to  @ RJSorensen's post |  #4

It's one at a time - neck strap or hand strap. That's the major drawback to my thinking.

See correction later in thread, although I have not figured out how to do it exactly.

Canon 70D Owner

Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
7,333 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 12, 2005 11:44 |  #5

pcasciola wrote:
but was not very easy to figure out how to attach correctly, and comes with no instructions.

Canon sneakily hide the instructions. They come with the battery grip not the strap itself, cunning, eh? :lol:

Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsport (external link)/Canoe Polo (external link)/Other Stuff (external link)

pcasciola
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN SHOPKEEPER
3,130 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 12, 2005 12:11 as a reply to  @ RJSorensen's post |  #6

RJSorensen wrote:
Can you still use the neck strap with the Canon model? How does that work . . . or not.

Yes, you can use both at the same time, Check out #6 in the instructions, that's how to hook the neck strap to the hand strap. I'm not sure which hand grip Edgar is referring to where it's one or the other.

Cadwell, good call. I just checked my BG-E2 instructions and there it is. I never would have thought to look there.

Philip Casciola
Pro Camera Gear (external link) - POTN Shop (external link)
Canon 7D, EF 50/1.8, EF 85/1.8, EF 300/4L IS, EF-S 18-55, Tamron 28-75/2.8, EF 70-200/2.8L IS
Sigma 1.4x & 2x, Tamron 1.4x, Gitzo 2220 Explorer, 322RC2 grip

stu
60 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 12, 2005 16:32 as a reply to  @ pcasciola's post |  #7

I bought the handstrap last year but took it back off the camera with the point of it being dificult to change lenses without the neck strap but it has just been put back on and i will try it out tomorrow,didnt think of looking at the battery grip instructions about the fitting of a strap,:) thanx

FlipsidE
Goldmember
1,701 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 12, 2005 16:35 |  #8

Honestly, I had no idea that's what the handstrap looked like. I think this would make things a lot easier for handheld shooting. I might have to pick one up. Thanks!

FlipsidE

FlipsidE

RJSorensen
Goldmember
1,706 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 12, 2005 16:54 |  #9

Thank you Phil . . . I can see it now.

"With Some Practice . . . I Am Able to Believe Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast!"
5D, 20D, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 16-35 L, EF-S 17-85, EF 24-70 L, EF 100-400 L, 1.4 TC II, Tubes, 550 EX, 580 EX.

cc10d
812 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 12, 2005 16:55 |  #10

As Phill says, you can have both the neck strap and the handstrap on at the same time. I ALWAYS (well almost) have the neck strap on and use the handstrap for added convience. Wouldn't be without one myself.

cc

Patrick ­ 10D
87 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 13, 2005 02:14 as a reply to  @ cc10d's post |  #11

cc10d wrote:
As Phill says, you can have both the neck strap and the handstrap on at the same time. I ALWAYS (well almost) have the neck strap on and use the handstrap for added convience. Wouldn't be without one myself.

I have both the hand strap, and the neck strap - but my 20D is strapless! Neither is attached to my camera. I must be too stupid to figure out how to install both of them - even with the #6 image above ...

LOL. Should I send my 20D to Canon and ask them to install the straps ???

EOS 1D Mark II N
17-40 L 24-70 L 70-200 L 300 L

IanD
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
5,332 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Feb 13, 2005 04:27 as a reply to  @ Patrick 10D's post |  #12

The hand strap it a great accessory. It gives a more secure feeling while holding a lot of money in your hand.:)
Without the instructions, some folks have found it a challenge to install, names with held to protect the guilty:):):):):):):):)

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)
Have You Hugged Your Mallard Today?
More Images- (external link)My Gear
flickr

cc10d
812 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 13, 2005 09:27 |  #13

For those that still do not see how the neckstap and handstrap get on the camera.

Maybe this will help, it is not perfectly illustrated.

Note the handstrap is being installed on the camera with the bg-e2 grip in the illustration above. #s 1-5.

In illustration 2, there is a slot left open in the tab the straps are going through.

This open slot is then used to put your neckstrap attatchment through. The strap shown with the arrows in illustration 6 is the neckstrap.

I hope this helps to visualize the two separate straps used together. First the handstrap goes on, with one of the three slots left open, then the neck strap is attatched using the open tab.

cc

Patrick ­ 10D
87 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 05, 2005 07:20 as a reply to  @ cc10d's post |  #14

I can now see that I would never be a good sailor - I cannot tie knots, or deal with anything related to thread, fishing line, string, rope, laces, or straps. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I finally got my E1 attached to my 20D! I printed out the diagram (above), looked at it for 20 minutes (watching the Tour de France at the same time), and had two beers. 30 minutes later, it was "installed" and adjusted. I was so pleased with myself, that I gave myself a pass on mowing the lawn.

I will say that the handstrap is excellent and I can see that it makes me feel less concerned about carrying the camera around. Maybe next year, I will figure out how to attach the neck strap ...

EOS 1D Mark II N
17-40 L 24-70 L 70-200 L 300 L

martook
396 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 05, 2005 09:53 |  #15

LOL!
I got my strap yesterday but didn't have a clue as to how to attach it. Being an engineer, I of course worked it out. Let's just say that it doesn't even resemble the way they did it in the picture above though... :D
*grabs the camera and starts all over again*

./Martin

A 20D with katzeye screen, tons of lenses, a couple of
pods, a flash and some bags. Also some MF cameras,
like a RZ67, Moskva 5 and Agfa Isolette I, II, III :)

sponsored links

128,787 views & 0 likes for this thread
E1 Hand Strap
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.