Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Sep 2008 (Tuesday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Few Lightroom Questions

shomat
730 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by shomat.

Sep 30, 2008 18:10 |  #1

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 30, 2008 18:14 |  #2

Go to Edit > Preferences > Import and select the "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" option.

Gear List

shomat
THREAD ­ STARTER
730 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 30, 2008 18:20 |  #3

FedkaTheConvict wrote in post #6412302 (external link)
Go to Edit > Preferences > Import and select the "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" option.

Thanks Fedka, I did that and now I can see the jpegs in Lightroom.

Do people usually keep both the jpegs and raw files in Lightroom? Or do they just use it to manage the raw files? I am wondering if it is worth it to move my jpeg files into the folders alongside their respective raw files... although it might be confusing to see two of every photo in the Lightroom grid view.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 30, 2008 18:31 |  #4

I rarely ever shoot JPEG but when I do I keep them in the same folder as my RAW files if they were all shot on the same date (My folders are organized by date only and I use keywords extensively so I can easily search and locate photos).

My workflow is different from yours so I can't really answer your question. When I shoot JPEG I tend not to edit those files; my RAW files are exported as TIFFs if I want to do further work on them. Only the final version is converted to JPEG and I rarely ever retain them so they aren't managed in Lightroom.

Gear List

shomat
THREAD ­ STARTER
730 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 30, 2008 18:34 |  #5

OK, so you only manage your raw files with Lightroom? I'm doing some web searches on various workflows and I seem to be finding that a lot.

I retain all my raw files, but I have a jpeg for every raw file. This is especially for when I do work in Photoshop that can't be stored in the raw file.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 30, 2008 18:54 |  #6

Unless you're doing extensive editing to every RAW file then I don't see the need to have a JPEG for every RAW. You will also find that much of the editing previously done in Photoshop can now be done in Lightroom...the notable exceptions are layers and selections.

Gear List

shomat
THREAD ­ STARTER
730 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 30, 2008 18:57 |  #7

FedkaTheConvict wrote in post #6412494 (external link)
Unless you're doing extensive editing to every RAW file then I don't see the need to have a JPEG for every RAW. You will also find that much of the editing previously done in Photoshop can now be done in Lightroom...the notable exceptions are layers and selections.

You are correct. Now that I can do spot edits in Lightroom, most of the editing will stay with the raw file. I do wish that I could geotag with Lightroom. The program I currently use only works with jpeg files.

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 30, 2008 21:24 |  #8

I organize ALLLLLL my images in Lightroom. I don't care what format they're in... I bought LR to organize, so I'm gonna make it do that I tell you. I used to shoot a lot of RAW+Jpg because LR/ACR's default conversion was so bad as to be nearly unusable. With the addition of the beta profiles (I suggest you download them from Adobe) I'm shooting more RAW only.

Still, I'm keeping my old .jpgs I already have around... the transition of RAW+Jpeg to RAW ONLY in my catalog will be a reminder to me of the day when Adobe finally listened to the valid complaints of its users, stopped calling them idiots, and did something about it.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 30, 2008 21:26 |  #9

shomat wrote in post #6412520 (external link)
I do wish that I could geotag with Lightroom. The program I currently use only works with jpeg files.

Not sure what you're using, but you might try Geosetter... I use it to embed the geotag plus the Country, State, City keywords for me directly into my .cr2 before importing into Lightroom. Lr then automatically sees the geotag, and some of my keywording is already done too.

David C.

itansley
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 01, 2008 09:21 |  #10

There is a lightroom geotag plugin from Google,
Do a search for - geotag-lightroom-plugin

Ian
Canon 7D | EF100-400L | EF70-200 F4 L | EF100 F2.8 Macro | EF50 F1.4 | EF-S 17-55 F2.8 | 580EX II | 430EX
Homepage (external link)

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 01, 2008 10:42 |  #11

I shoot almost exclusively in RAW. I import all RAW to LR with generic keywords that apply to the whole shoot. I weed though and 'reject' images I don't want to see in LR (X-Flag) and set my flag filters so the rejects are not viewed. I use LR to do 90% of my edit/pp work. On occasion i take an image into photoshop which i have set to open as a tiff 16bit image and to stack in LR with the original RAW. When i am done with a whole set/shoot I rename them to indicate the content, something like SmithWedding0001, etc. with the last four digits being index numbers.

This 'set' is now the golden post processed 'originals'. Now I can generate (export) any file type/size I need from this 'core'. But I do not re-import these exported images and i always export them to a subdirectory of the orginal directory I put the RAW files into. i name the subdirectories to indicate the files, such as JPG640 for jpg files with a max pixel dimension of 640, or JPGfullRes, for max res jpg files, etc.

The reason I never re-import these into LR is because these are always intended to be outputs from the main 'golden' post processed originals. No further work is ever done to these exported images. If an image need more work I go back to the golden version, edit that one, and re-export it.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 01, 2008 12:42 |  #12

itansley wrote in post #6415939 (external link)
There is a lightroom geotag plugin from Google,
Do a search for - geotag-lightroom-plugin

I took a look at that. While its promising, and good to see people are developing it, it still doesn't appear to have the functionality of Geosetter such as adding City, State keywords and adding location data for files that don't sync with a track (or without having used GPS at all) by placing a marker on the map window, and syncing the marker with selected images.

Thanks for the reminder about that plugin though, I'll have to be sure to keep an eye on how it progresses.

David C.

shomat
THREAD ­ STARTER
730 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 01, 2008 21:30 |  #13

I don't have any sort of GPS device. I position Google Earth over the location where the photo was taken, and then I drag & drop the image file onto a shortcut in my Dock to a program called "Geotagger". Geotagger fetches the current longitude & latitude coordinates from wherever Google Earth is positioned at the moment, and writes them to the image's meta data fields.

JasonSTL739
523 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 01, 2008 22:04 as a reply to  @ shomat's post |  #14

I guess I don't see why you'd need the jpeg? I know I would NEVER edit a jpeg for example - especially twice. I'm not sure why you'd work off those files?

Certainly don't need a jpeg for each RAW to be stored long term. Work with the RAW files, export to CS3 where necessary as a TIFF or PSD, and when necessary for website/client/etc export as jpegs to a temp directory. There are some pretty major quality reasons to work exclusively from RAW files and TIFFs.

Time for a change in workflow?

http://www.sedura.com (external link)

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 01, 2008 22:16 |  #15

shomat wrote in post #6420137 (external link)
I position Google Earth over the location... drag & drop the image file onto a shortcut in my Dock to a program called "Geotagger". Geotagger fetches the current longitude & latitude... and writes them to the image's meta data fields.

That seems pretty slick. Unfortunately (looking at website) it doesn't embed lat/long info to RAW (jpg only), doesn't mention if it adds City/State/Country metatdata tags, and its Mac only. (Of course my preferred, Geosetter, is Windows only...)

David C.

sponsored links

1,739 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Few Lightroom Questions
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.