Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Oct 2008 (Friday) 09:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are any of these ebay lighting packages any good, or are they all junk?

ace3
60 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 03, 2008 09:06 |  #1

i want to get some lighting, and want to take advantage of the ebay 30% off thing.

$275 for this?
http://cgi.ebay.com …1318&_trksid=p3​286.c0.m14 (external link)

$400 for this?
http://cgi.ebay.com …1308&_trksid=p3​286.c0.m14 (external link)

$250 for this?
http://cgi.ebay.com …1308&_trksid=p3​286.c0.m14 (external link)

i know they're obviously not the greatest, but that's pretty good for the price, isn't it?

i'd like something with 2-3 lights, softboxes, and background support.

If someone had an alienbees setup with BuyItNow, i'd be all over that

:dunno:

A.C.
40D + Grip
EF 50/1.8 | EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5 | EF 24-70/2.8L | EF-S 17-85/4-5.6 IS | EF 70-200/4L IS | 580EX II | 420EX
GPS-CS1 GPS

sponsored links
mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,362 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 03, 2008 09:19 |  #2

I have a two strobe kit that looks similar to the last one you posted (mine lacks the 110w/s third strobe).

It is a cheap setup, no question about it, but its "good enough" for my needs right now.

Your prices all seem off though.

The first is $389, not $275.
The second is $569, not $400
The third is $349, not $250

Personally I approached the kit as a trial balloon that wouldn't break the bank. The nice thing is if/when I upgrade to better lights I can still use them for misc. (background, hair, etc) lights.

The only big negative in my mind is that the flash bulbs are not user replaceable.

Honestly though, with Calumet releasing the Genesis line I would seriously look at those. Two 200s will set you back about $350 + tax, you can get the background stand and backdrop on fleabay for under $100 more. Had they been available when I was looking I probably would have jumped on them.

ace3
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 03, 2008 09:35 |  #3

30% off anything on ebay with a buy-it-now auction:
http://forums.slickdea​ls.net ….php?sduid=4825​9&t=937306 (external link)

those prices are minus the 30%.

so, if a bulb goes out, what do you do, throw the whole light away?

A.C.
40D + Grip
EF 50/1.8 | EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5 | EF 24-70/2.8L | EF-S 17-85/4-5.6 IS | EF 70-200/4L IS | 580EX II | 420EX
GPS-CS1 GPS

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,362 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 03, 2008 23:26 |  #4

ace3 wrote in post #6429947 (external link)
30% off anything on ebay with a buy-it-now auction:
http://forums.slickdea​ls.net ….php?sduid=4825​9&t=937306 (external link)

those prices are minus the 30%.

Very cool. I've been contemplating a couple fleabay acquisitions.

I'll check it out, but if history repeats itself PayPal "business" members won't qualify. :rolleyes:

ace3 wrote in post #6429947 (external link)
so, if a bulb goes out, what do you do, throw the whole light away?

Yup. Unless you can find a replacement (tough, but not impossible) and happen to be handy with a soldering iron.

Most flash tubes are rated for at least 5000 flashes. If I haven't gotten good by then maybe I should just give up on lights. :D

ace3
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 06, 2008 09:11 |  #5

no opinions?

A.C.
40D + Grip
GPS-CS1 GPS

ueb0258
498 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 06, 2008 09:23 |  #6

I had a cheap light set like this at one time and I have to disagree about using them for background, hair, ect when and if you upgrade. I basically gave mine away when I switched over to photogenic strobes. The cheap ones I had were way to inconsistent in both color and output. Another note about the output was that they were nowhere near what they were rated at with mine. Side by side tests with my 320w/s lights showed them to be about 80w/s when they were rated at 160w/s (if I remember right). They are nice to get you started but the stands mine came with I wouldnt trust to hold my camera flash on a bracket and all the accessories you get with them will pretty much go out the door if you decide to change strobes. My thought on this type of kit and my continued thinking is that if you have money to throw away and dont mind seeing it go if you decide to upgrade later on then this type of kit is not bad. I personally would recommend you getting one of the other lower priced brand name kits. Check out the reviews on the Calument Genesis kits here on the boards. People seem to really like them. Alienbees seems to get a good rap as well. I like my Photogenic Studio Max's and they can be had for a decent price on ebay from time to time.

sponsored links

1,229 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are any of these ebay lighting packages any good, or are they all junk?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.