Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Oct 2008 (Sunday) 04:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help re: Comet CT-600 Flash Head

clengster_77
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 05, 2008 04:12 |  #1

hi! i need your help regarding this brand of strobes. i tried searching for the manual of this in the web but i really can't find one. here are my questions.

1. what's the round thing that has many pins and says "remote" for? (blue arrow)?

2. how bout the one that looks like a household outlet? (red arrow)

3. is it possible to for me to put a jack for the sync chord or radio trigger? as you notice there's no jack for it.

...has anyone here had first hand experience with this brand? the strobe is quite strong and i assume it's a 600w/s light because of the model name. it is made in japan. i bought this one really cheap from a friend but he also doesn't know the answers to my questions because he got the light as is also. all your help will be much appreciated. any links you could find about this brand of lights will also be a big help for me coz as i've said earlier, i tried searching but i can't find a manual for this light. thanks in advance!

here are some pictures of the actual light i'm talking about

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i159.photobucke​t.com …hotography/7665​_1copy.jpg (external link)

http://i159.photobucke​t.com …es_photography/​7767_1.jpg (external link)

http://i159.photobucke​t.com …es_photography/​7d1e_1.jpg (external link)

Canon 5D x 2
16 - 35L mk1 + 85 1.2L FD + 70 - 200 2.8L
50 1.4 + 85 1.8 + 580 EX + 420 EX + 055ProB + 488Rc2

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,186 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2008 09:46 |  #2

The blue arrow (what you typed vs what you drew are inconsistent, BTW..."'remote' for? (blue arrow)" ) points to the sync cord connector, which is same as fits Dynalite.
Flashzebra can set you up with appropriate adapter to allow you to connect a Cybersynn radio slave to the sync socket.

I have no personal experience with this flash. I can tell you that Comet makes very respected battery-powered studio, high powered flash units. I lusted for one for many years!

http://www.comet-usa.com/pmt128.html (external link)

I also found this PDF, in Japanese, doing a Google search on 'Comet CT-06W'...
http://www.inks-ad.com …pdf/catalog2006​_42-43.pdf (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 05, 2008 10:35 |  #3

thanks a lot wilt! i just notice i mixed the colors up :D that's what i was expecting also... the blue arrow is for the sync cord but i'm really not so sure. btw, does the sync cord slot (if i may call it) has a polarity? how bout the round thing with pins (red arrow) do you have an idea what's it for?

Canon 5D x 2

clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 05, 2008 10:37 |  #4

is the battery pack similar to the vagabond and innovatronix power pack?

Canon 5D x 2

clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 05, 2008 10:53 |  #5

btw... one more question. will other radio trigger work in this strobe or just the cybersync? thanks again!

Canon 5D x 2

Wilt
45,186 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2008 11:27 |  #6

Battery pack? what battery pack, the monolight unit is rated for 220v (the Japanese PDF is 100v for the Japan home market)

'other radio trigger'...what other radio trigger are you referring to???

'polarity'...here is a photo (rushed shot, apologies for quality) Note that the prong closest to the edge of the photo is wider, and the other two are narrower. Dynalite does not use this same three-prong socket on all its flashes but leaves out the center one on a number of its power packs.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_1059-1.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 05, 2008 11:33 |  #7

Is that the AC power cord out of its strain relief. If so, get that repaired. That looks like big trouble waiting to happen in a serious manner.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 05, 2008 11:50 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #6441383 (external link)
Battery pack? what battery pack, the monolight unit is rated for 220v (the Japanese PDF is 100v for the Japan home market)

'other radio trigger'...what other radio trigger are you referring to???

'polarity'...here is a photo (rushed shot, apologies for quality) Note that the prong closest to the edge of the photo is wider, and the other two are narrower. Dynalite does not use this same three-prong socket on all its flashes but leaves out the center one on a number of its power packs.

my apologies... i'm kinda confused now. i'm reffering to those power packs like the vagabond.

'other radio trigger'...what other radio trigger are you referring to
will this light work on pocket wizards and those cactus v2 triggers?

noted :) thanks again wilt.

Canon 5D x 2

clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 05, 2008 11:54 |  #9

FlashZebra wrote in post #6441407 (external link)
Is that the AC power cord out of its strain relief. If so, get that repaired. That looks like big trouble waiting to happen in a serious manner.

Enjoy! Lon

hi lon! yes... the outer cover of the wire has moved backwards that's why the 3 colored wires are exposed but upon close inspection, there's no open wire w/c may cause electric shock. i'm trying to push the black cover backwards but it keeps on sliding forward causing the wires to be exposed.

Canon 5D x 2

Wilt
45,186 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2008 11:56 |  #10

This unit should work fine if the radio remote can be connected to the sync port

clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 05, 2008 12:03 |  #11

great! so for now, i'll try to look for the correct sync cord for this light. would love to order from flashzebra but i live here in the philippines and shipping might be too expensive

Canon 5D x 2

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 05, 2008 12:06 |  #12

clengster_77 wrote in post #6441491 (external link)
hi lon! yes... the outer cover of the wire has moved backwards that's why the 3 colored wires are exposed but upon close inspection, there's no open wire w/c may cause electric shock. i'm trying to push the black cover backwards but it keeps on sliding forward causing the wires to be exposed.

The strain relief looks like classic compression type construction.

Loosen that nut on the strain relief until it comes off, then push the black part of the cord into the strain relief to the mechanical stop. Then tighten the nut.

Please realize this is a bit of a guess as I am just have that one image to look at. But you have the unit and should be able to determine if my observation is accurate or is foolishness.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

Wilt
45,186 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2008 17:30 |  #13

I just tested a real Dynalite cord with the three prongs (what I posted earlier), and the wide blade is the Surround on the PC connector, the thin blade farthest from the wide blade is the center Pin of the PC connector, and the center thin blade has no connectivity to the PC tip. So the three prongs are simply so that a USA-style AC power plug is not what you would ever plug in the other end of a PC cable, leading to electricution at the camera end!

clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 05, 2008 18:19 |  #14

FlashZebra wrote in post #6441542 (external link)
The strain relief looks like classic compression type construction.

Loosen that nut on the strain relief until it comes off, then push the black part of the cord into the strain relief to the mechanical stop. Then tighten the nut.

Please realize this is a bit of a guess as I am just have that one image to look at. But you have the unit and should be able to determine if my observation is accurate or is foolishness.

Enjoy! Lon

i'll give it a try... thanks lon!

Canon 5D x 2

clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 05, 2008 18:21 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #6442901 (external link)
I just tested a real Dynalite cord with the three prongs (what I posted earlier), and the wide blade is the Surround on the PC connector, the thin blade farthest from the wide blade is the center Pin of the PC connector, and the center thin blade has no connectivity to the PC tip. So the three prongs are simply so that a USA-style AC power plug is not what you would ever plug in the other end of a PC cable, leading to electricution at the camera end!

so the wide blade is the negative and the opposite thin blade the positive?

Canon 5D x 2

sponsored links

8,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help re: Comet CT-600 Flash Head
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.