Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 07 Oct 2008 (Tuesday) 20:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Orion, Gemini and the Windmill

bowtie`
488 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 07, 2008 20:41 |  #1

An shot from this weekend of Orion, Gemini and a windmill. Look at the power of that windmill. It is blowing all those stars across the sky! :D

Camera Canon 5D, ISO 200, TV 118 sec., AV 2.8, Lens 24-70mm @ 38mm, single image, in-camera noise reduction on, no filters

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
godzakka
353 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 07, 2008 22:05 |  #2

Gorgeous, and not just because I love windmills! Love the colors, too.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 07, 2008 22:47 |  #3

Very nice ! Try for 12x10min. shots and stack them and you'll have a great shot with that windmill .

bowtie`
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 08, 2008 07:03 |  #4

Celestron wrote in post #6457473 (external link)
Very nice ! Try for 12x10min. shots and stack them and you'll have a great shot with that windmill .

Thanks. I have been toying with the idea of maybe dipping my toes in stacking but there are a few issues. Limited funds, hardware and software. My hillbilly shutter controller (part of a pen tube and some velcro straps) does not lend itself to keeping the camera in the same position. WOuld need to get a *real* shutter controller. Then I need the stacking software. I see most people getting good color are using CS3. I only have lowly Elements. I need so much more than I have and due to recent financial and economic hardships I see no way of buying my way in. Till then I keep trying to do it the hard way. Single image and doing the best I can with the simplistic approach.

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 08, 2008 10:32 |  #5

This is a great shot bowtie. Awesome choice of foreground object. Getting these kind of results from modest gear speaks volumes of your skill and determination. I started with very modest set up and I'm still very proud of many of my shots from back then. The challenge and hearing that it "can't be done" motivated me to think around obstacles and find ways to get the shots. Sometimes it didn't work but when it did it fueled my ambition and made me work even harder. Sorry to hear about your hardships, I hope things turn around for you real soon.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 08, 2008 13:27 |  #6

bowtie wrote in post #6458933 (external link)
=bowtie`;6458933]Thank​s. I have been toying with the idea of maybe dipping my toes in stacking but there are a few issues. Limited funds, hardware and software. My hillbilly shutter controller (part of a pen tube and some velcro straps) does not lend itself to keeping the camera in the same position. WOuld need to get a *real* shutter controller. Then I need the stacking software. I see most people getting good color are using CS3. I only have lowly Elements. I need so much more than I have and due to recent financial and economic hardships I see no way of buying my way in. Till then I keep trying to do it the hard way. Single image and doing the best I can with the simplistic approach.

To start with stacking software can be free . I use Registax 4 (external link) and i have Deep-Sky-Stacker (external link) which both products are FREE !! Both will allow some editing . I have PhotoShop 7 and Elements 2 . I can do pretty much all my editing in either one cause i don't do alot of editing . There is other software worth having and costly but i don't have anything else at the moment .

Jeff
Goldmember
1,457 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 08, 2008 15:04 |  #7

I really like the composition with the windmill. A neat shot for sure!

Jeff
70D | Tokina 12-24 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon 28-135 IS| 430EX
Astrophotograpy: QHY9M, Optolong LRGB filters, Meade 10" SCT, Orion EON 110mm APO, iOptron CEM60 to keep it all off the ground.
MY AIRPLANE PICS (external link) | MY ASTRO PICS (external link)

KaseyK
32 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 24, 2008 15:24 |  #8

great shot

KB
Kentucky.

sponsored links

1,830 views & 0 likes for this thread
Orion, Gemini and the Windmill
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.