Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Oct 2008 (Friday) 18:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help (Pricing, the 150000th post about this)

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 10, 2008 18:09 |  #1

Im trying to figure out the best prices for portraits. These will be outdoor portraits until i get a studio. Lmk if you think i should change them for higher prices or lower. Thanks for your time,

plan 1- 100$

1 hour, 1 location, 20 edited pictures, extra pics and editing 50 an hour

Plan 2 - 200

2 hours, 1 location, 40 pictures, same as top

plan 3- 300

3 Hours, 2 locations, 50 pics, same as top

plan 4 - 400

4 hours, unlimited locations , unlimited pics

If you choose plan 1 and need more pics it'll be 50$ an hour.

Over 15 miles from location is exta $$.

Half upfront and pay the rest after the pics are done.

If you dont show or call me the day of the shoot and i show up there and your not there i keep the half.

How does this plan sound? What should i change? What should i keep?

Im located in upstate NY about an hour north of NYC. I havent offered any plans yet just trying to figure out how i wanna do the prices.

If anyone can help thank you,

Rob

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 11, 2008 05:24 |  #2

Most professional portrait photographers will charge between $0 and $250 sitting fee, then will charge between $20 and $200 for a 6x4" print. Very few will give people a CD. I know a good portrait photographer who charges $200 for a sitting, then says his average print sale is $2000. He has a studio, but takes most photos outside at the beach.

Your plan one will take 30-60 minutes in presales, 30-60 minutes overhead in getting your gear ready, one hours or bit more photography, 1-2 hours in post processing, and maybe an hour of sales. Let's guess 4 hours total, though it'll probably be more. That means you get $25 per hour, less sales tax and income tax, so you're probably down to $15 per hour, give or take. This has to cover your equipment purchases, repairs, PC, software, accountant, and all the other business expenses. So after all of this you're actually going to be paying people for the privilege of taking their photo.

A rethink is needed.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 11, 2008 08:26 |  #3

So what do you think would be a good price range to start at? im just starting out, so idk whats the best prices?

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 11, 2008 16:02 |  #4

If you're just starting out i'd charge a sitting fee of anywhere between nothing and $250, then charge for each print. I've told you what the high end of the market charges, you just have to work out what you're worth and what your local market will bear.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

ccasey
62 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 14, 2008 17:29 |  #5

Another point - if I'm a customer and I want a "Plan 3", why wouldn't I just schedule a "Plan 1" and a "Plan 2" and wind up with more images for the same price, and potentially more work for you (since they could be at different times).

You could also sell the images on top of the sitting fee, but understand that once the image is in the customer's hands you will get no more print sales for that image.

-Chris

Chris
http://www.chriscaseyp​hotography.com (external link)

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 14, 2008 18:45 |  #6

Wow thats a good point never thought of that. Deff back to the drawing board on these ones. So how do you guys price yours? You charge them like 150$ to take whatever pics and time, then they go to your site pay for whatever prints they want? What happens if you have someone that chooses like 10 shots and gets 4x6 prints, you only make like 20$ on those right? Im just trying to figure out the best idea. I've been searching for photog's in my area and cant find much on them (theres not to many, mostly just wedding photog's)

Thanks for your help guys.

epixel8
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 14, 2008 19:03 |  #7

unlimited6986 wrote in post #6476612 (external link)
So what do you think would be a good price range to start at? im just starting out, so idk whats the best prices?

To start, I would have to ask what your time and work is worth.
I know that seems harsh, but you are the only person who can answer that question.

There is such a wide range of price points that reflect both the quality of the work that can be produced and the market that is convinced that it must possess the finished product - much like at the supermarket where they display the hotdogs right near the grain-finished organically grown fillet Mignon.

So, what is a good place to start - for you?

what you see could be what you get

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 14, 2008 19:30 |  #8

Im gonna make the prices my self, i was just seeing what everyone on here charges so i can kinda get an idea of how to price it. I think my photos are as good as some of the pros that are by around around me. So i think i can charge what they are but i gotta get my name out there first. I was thinking dont charge top dollar yet, get the clients to come 1st then eventually raise my prices. ill write the sheet up with my prices and put on the bottom prices subject to change. So my best bet for me is to keep researching around my area and around here to see what the best prices for me would be.

webechillinman
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 15, 2008 06:28 |  #9

There's a Varsity Soccer Father 50miles away that wants to hire me for his son's last game this friday. What should I charge, 100mile round trip and how many pictures. How should I get the money? Up front or half when I get there, half when the pictures are editted. No idea! Help!

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 15, 2008 08:58 |  #10

Just make you own thread about it, it'll get faster responses

sponsored links

1,322 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help (Pricing, the 150000th post about this)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.