Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Oct 2008 (Saturday) 02:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lowepro CompuRover AW - review

snails
"I used the last of it to tip the strippers."
1,517 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 11, 2008 02:36 |  #1

I haven't seen a review for this bag here on POTN, so I decided to write one of my own.

I've owned this bag for about a year, I bought it because my Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW does not travel well. It does not hold a laptop, or a book, and it does not leave much room for the usual travel documents. So I aimed at the CompuRover and picked one up off of ebay.

Funny story, it was a second hand bag, shipped from China, wrapped in a garbage bag with a shipping label. Chinese customs "inspected" the package with a razor blade, so the first thing I had to do was patch it up. Luckily the damage was mostly cosmetic.

So here I am, and I've been traveling with this bag as much as I can since I bought it. It has a lot of space for all of my camera gear, laptop, a book, iPod, noise-canceling headphones and everything else I like to take with me in a carry-on bag. Because it's a large bag, when fully loaded it can get heavy. But the straps, padding and belt make the weight managable and comfortable.

It will fit in an overhead bin without effort, but if you end up on one of those flights where overhead storage is limited for some reason, I've managed to fit the monstrous bag beneath the seat in front of me fully loaded. The down side is that you'll need to be a yoga master to get something out while you are in your seat.

I've also had occasion to go hiking with this bag near Lake Tahoe. While it's designed to hold a lot of things you wouldn't take hiking, it still makes a comfortable backpack with nothing but your camera gear inside.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/2930304245_f828bbf2eb.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/2930305013_5cb23bd39d.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/2930306009_4f099c7d6b.jpg

Please excuse the poor photography, a full gallery with notes is available here (external link).

"Can't list equipment, wife checks here to see what I have bought lately" (calicokat)

sponsored links
krepta
I swear I'm Ken Rockwell!
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 12, 2008 15:28 |  #2

snails wrote in post #6475914 (external link)
It will fit in an overhead bin without effort, but if you end up on one of those flights where overhead storage is limited for some reason, I've managed to fit the monstrous bag beneath the seat in front of me fully loaded. The down side is that you'll need to be a yoga master to get something out while you are in your seat.

That is good to hear. I purchased this bag not too long ago for an upcoming trip to Japan. The external dimensions stated by Lowepro fits just under the maximum required by the airline (JAL) for carry-on bags. But I am still a little worried since it looks so monstrous (as you mentioned), especially when fully loaded. I hope I won't have any trouble at the gate. I understand that sometimes bags that fit the carry-on rules get rejected for whatever reason and the traveler ends up having to check it. I don't know if they are more strict about overseas flights than domestic flights.

Thanks for the review. Excellent set on Flickr, by the way!

Alex | flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | Food! (external link)

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,254 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 13, 2008 02:07 |  #3

Thanks for sharing - that actually looks like quite a nifty bag.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

snails
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,517 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2008 02:32 |  #4

krepta wrote in post #6482848 (external link)
That is good to hear. I purchased this bag not too long ago for an upcoming trip to Japan. The external dimensions stated by Lowepro fits just under the maximum required by the airline (JAL) for carry-on bags. But I am still a little worried since it looks so monstrous (as you mentioned), especially when fully loaded. I hope I won't have any trouble at the gate. I understand that sometimes bags that fit the carry-on rules get rejected for whatever reason and the traveler ends up having to check it. I don't know if they are more strict about overseas flights than domestic flights.

Thanks for the review. Excellent set on Flickr, by the way!

Thanks.

I've never flown JAL, but I've never had the bag taken from me before a flight, and I have flown on several short domestic flights on little Embrair jets with zero overhead space. Remember that he bag WILL fit under the seat in front of you, it may sometimes take some effort.

Good luck with your trip.

Canon EOS 7D EOS 5D Mark II EOS 40D PowerShot G10 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 50mm f/1.4 USM EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX | Canon Speedlite 270 EX Speedlite 430 EX | Sigma EF 500 DG Super

JeffreyVB
973 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 13, 2008 20:48 as a reply to  @ snails's post |  #5

I have this bag and love it. I just don't use it as much as I probably should. I bought it to take my gear and laptop to Jamaica and it worked great. It fit nicely in the overhead compartments with no issue.

Canon EOS 1D Mk III |
Canon 24-105 f4L IS | Canon 100-400L IS | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x MK II TC | Complete Gear List Here

bernong1
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 18, 2009 03:46 as a reply to  @ JeffreyVB's post |  #6

Thanks for the review. I bought this bag after reading your review. Your photos of the bag convinced me to buy the bag. I was concerned that the top compartment might be too small as I use this bag for work and work-related travel.

It turned out a little big, but I'm able to carry my camera gear, work stuff, notebook for travel.

Great bag.
Bernard

vampalan
42 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 17, 2009 13:40 |  #7

I have this bag too, it's great travel bag for storing all the gear. The problem I found is that it is not very good for taking out the camera on the go, as the access to the padded compartment is rather unforgiving as everything might spill out.

www.flickr.com/photos/​vampalan/ (external link)

snails
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,517 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 17, 2009 14:19 |  #8

vampalan wrote in post #8474933 (external link)
I have this bag too, it's great travel bag for storing all the gear. The problem I found is that it is not very good for taking out the camera on the go, as the access to the padded compartment is rather unforgiving as everything might spill out.

This is why I've taken to gutting the bag... I remove all the internal dividers and place my Lowepro Classified 160 AW inside. When I get to my travel destination, my Classified serves camera bag duty while the CompuRover holds everything together on the flight over.

Support this site - donate here

vampalan
42 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 17, 2009 14:23 |  #9

I use a Slingshot what ever number for quick on the go shooting, but it's not got room for a computer and stuff. The Toploader is not very nice to carry, the strap hooks are far too centered.

www.flickr.com/photos/​vampalan/ (external link)

snails
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,517 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 17, 2009 17:23 |  #10

vampalan wrote in post #8475203 (external link)
I use a Slingshot what ever number for quick on the go shooting, but it's not got room for a computer and stuff. The Toploader is not very nice to carry, the strap hooks are far too centered.

My Slingshot 200 AW fit inside the CompuRover with room to spare.

Canon EOS 7D EOS 5D Mark II EOS 40D PowerShot G10 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 50mm f/1.4 USM EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX | Canon Speedlite 270 EX Speedlite 430 EX | Sigma EF 500 DG Super

sponsored links

11,984 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lowepro CompuRover AW - review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.