Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 12 Oct 2008 (Sunday) 15:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Niche photographer looking to expand

Cliff ­ Nordman
132 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 12, 2008 15:36 |  #1

I got into photography by going to sci-fi and anime conventions, which are full of very interesting costumed people who are happy to pose, but only for a few moments. It's a strange blend of street photography and modeling. I have hundreds of images on my website (external link), but for brevity I have embedded a few below.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I've gotten some valuable experience working with people and developed a rather aggressive style, but I fear most of it will not be applicable to more standard portraits, the kind that regular people want to have taken, the kind that are scheduled beforehand and could last for some time.

IMAGE: http://svk.angryzero.com/lj/IMG_0365.jpg

IMAGE: http://svk.angryzero.com/lj/IMG_0401.jpg

Advice on how to be subtle, or to make people interesting when they don't have wings or swords, would be welcome, as well as any opinions you have about my current work.

sponsored links
beethy-
374 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 12, 2008 18:24 |  #2

sorry, don't like these.. they're random quick snapshots.
i suggest reading up on composition... also look into a few guides on lighting. (not saying you need to walk around with 2 flashes or a reflector, just get a better understanding of light in general)

My gallery: www.beethy.deviantart.​com (external link)

Moppie
14,839 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 12, 2008 20:07 |  #3

The 1st, 2nd and 3rd ones are fantastic!

Getting clean back grounds and good light while shooting people at events you have no control over is not easy.
Anyone who thinks it is has clearly never tried it.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

themirage
611 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 12, 2008 21:45 |  #4

Your event photos could use some fill but you got those nailed in my opinion. Your portraits can take a lesson from your event photography. When I say that I'm saying don't always shoot head on, and put space behind your subject.

One thing that will carry from event photography and portraits is your ability to make your subject comfortable. The more comfy they are the better the shoot and pictures will be.

-Michael

Gear List

Designs of Utopia (external link)
SmugMug Gallery (external link)
˙ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs ʎɯ uı pǝʇsǝɹǝʇuı ʎllɐǝɹ ǝɹɐ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 13, 2008 11:34 |  #5

I think your event shots are great.
Your straight portraits, pretty basic.

Why not look at each session like a "movie shoot," finding some slightly strange location that fits with the subject's personality?

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2008 11:59 as a reply to  @ Halliday's post |  #6

Are you using an external flash?

Ain't nothin but a thing.

ded007
848 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 13, 2008 13:48 |  #7

Lee-Loo Dallas Mul-ti-pass

1Ds MKIII box with a pinhole punched in it.

Cliff ­ Nordman
THREAD ­ STARTER
132 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 13, 2008 20:37 |  #8

Thanks for the advice. By combining beethy- and Moppie's comments I learn that adapting to different conditions is good, but expectations for portraits are higher than for event shots because I have more time to prepare and more control over the conditions in which I shoot. themirage and Hallieday indicate that I can be a bit more risky and aggressive in my portraits than the examples I posted, which I'm glad to hear.

HoosierJoe: 1, 3, 4, and 5 use natural light. 2 uses onboard flash (which is usually icky). I bought an external flash just recently, and used it and a reflector for 6 and 7. Some Cactus wireless triggers are on the way, so I will soon join the Strobist army.

ded007: MOOL TEE POSS (external link)

sponsored links

1,362 views & 0 likes for this thread
Niche photographer looking to expand
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.