Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Oct 2008 (Monday) 01:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rented a 70-200 2.8 IS

Transfer
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2008 01:17 |  #1

*sigh* somehow I knew I shouldn't have done this. I should have just rented the f/4 version which I could probably afford some day. But nooo I had a good reason to use this lens this weekend so I picked it up and took some of my best shots ever. I was shooting a family soccer event and doing some family portraits and got all the results I was looking for. Now what am I supposed to do? I guess I'll rent again as needed. At least there was one thing I really didn't like about it: it's a freaking bazooka of a lens. Way too heavy and gawdy.

One of my favorites from saturday:

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/2932273733_10143685b6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/judsonhall/2932​273733/  (external link)

I guess I just have to sell my car if I get tired of renting. ;)

EOS 40D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Transfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2008 21:20 |  #2

So is the 70-200 f/4 IS L as satisfying to use? The lighter weight is a big plus as well as the $500 cheaper price tag.

EOS 40D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8
My Flickr (external link)

midget
511 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 13, 2008 21:26 |  #3

as wonderfully sharp and light the f4 IS may be, the 2.8 IS will always have its uses where the f4 cannot be trusted upon.

40d + 50mm f1.8 MK I + my feet.

photomatt8
357 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 13, 2008 21:37 as a reply to  @ midget's post |  #4

I was skeptical when I finally pulled the trigger to buy mine. WOW, what a lens. I find myself wanting to shoot everything with it. If you settle for the f4 version, you will always long for the 2.8 IS

Where did you rent yours from? I bought a used 2.8 IS from www.Lensrentals.com (external link)

They sell their lenses after 1 year of use, and they take really good care of their stuff. It looks and works as new. $1399

When you love what you do, work is play.

Nikon D700 gripped | 24-70 2.8 | 50 1.8 | 80-200 2.8 | 2 Speedlites

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2008 21:39 |  #5

I have the f4 IS... I don't long for the 2.8... to heavy to lug around all day, for me.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,317 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 13, 2008 21:42 |  #6

photomatt8 wrote in post #6490922 (external link)
I was skeptical when I finally pulled the trigger to buy mine. WOW, what a lens. I find myself wanting to shoot everything with it. If you settle for the f4 version, you will always long for the 2.8 IS

Where did you rent yours from? I bought a used 2.8 IS from www.Lensrentals.com (external link)

They sell their lenses after 1 year of use, and they take really good care of their stuff. It looks and works as new. $1399

not me. i've had my f4 IS for almost two years and i owned the f4 for about a year before that.

if the f4 IS and the f 2.8 IS cost the same amount i would still have bought the f4 IS. i bought the lens because it was the one i wanted, not because i couldn't afford the other :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2008 21:46 |  #7

Same here. The cost was not an issue when I went for the f4 IS. I think I thought about the 2.8 for about 4 seconds.... nah.....

Although I take all my hobbies VERY seriously, I don't want it to feel like "work".

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

photomatt8
357 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 13, 2008 22:09 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #8

Seriously, the weight is not as bad as most people make it out to be. I find its a nice balance, I think I might even be able to hold it more steady by being heavier. Just my opinion. I like knowing the 2.8 is there when I need to go that low. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

When you love what you do, work is play.

Nikon D700 gripped | 24-70 2.8 | 50 1.8 | 80-200 2.8 | 2 Speedlites

funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 13, 2008 22:45 |  #9

I bought the f/4L IS version back in March before a trip and returned it for the f/2.8L IS version since I do a lot of low light stuff. It is a sweet lens and yes it is heavy especially if it is just sitting in your camera bag. It makes a great portrait lens indoors or out. I have been thrilled with the results!

Only you can decide which one you want and will suit your needs. I think that they are both excellent lenses and you can't go wrong with either. The question is will you settle for the f/4 now that you know how sweet the f/2.8 is ???

Personally I want to rent a Canon 500mm f/4L IS but I know that would be a BAD idea since I would want to buy one afterwards and I know that the checkbook won't allow that anytime soon.

My Online Gallery (external link)
>>> My Gear List / Feedback <<<

For Sale LowePro Super Trekker

ron4sc
41 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 13, 2008 22:56 as a reply to  @ funhouse69's post |  #10

I chose the f4 also. I could afford either but I chose the f4 because of the lens weight. I know with my f4 I can use it as a general purpose lens since it's so light. "Settle" implies we couldn't afford the more expensive lens. There are other factors. I was fortunate to rent both and found the f4 more usable for every day photography.

Besides, now I have an excuse to tell my wife I need 28-70 f2.8L or 85 f/1.2L for low light. :)

Sfordphoto
Goldmember
2,564 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 13, 2008 23:00 |  #11

Transfer wrote in post #6485524 (external link)
*sigh* somehow I knew I shouldn't have done this. I should have just rented the f/4 version which I could probably afford some day. But nooo I had a good reason to use this lens this weekend so I picked it up and took some of my best shots ever. I was shooting a family soccer event and doing some family portraits and got all the results I was looking for. Now what am I supposed to do? I guess I'll rent again as needed. At least there was one thing I really didn't like about it: it's a freaking bazooka of a lens. Way too heavy and gawdy.

One of my favorites from saturday:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/judsonhall/2932​273733/  (external link)

I guess I just have to sell my car if I get tired of renting. ;)

Time to hit the gym :)

Carried it around for 6 hours yesterday...no problem. Get it..you know you want to :)

Gear

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 13, 2008 23:07 |  #12

Nice shot!

Of course you could always nab the 200mm f/2.8L prime for the bokeh and sharpness in that image and save yourself a pretty massive wad of cash....its also small, light, discrete and black, and I've seen them 500-600 before used..and $680 new... [I really love recommending this lens >.>]

or you could nab the slightly lighter cheaper and more discrete Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX HSM if you want a Zoom, I saw a comparison of that lens to the IS and it was pretty hard to tell the shots apart! and thats a $800 lens :3

Depends largely on how much you liked the IS [You can get a heck of a monopod for that money] but remember IS only deals with camera shake, it doesnt do anything about subject movement [LIke you might have to deal with in portraiture] wherein your shutter speed will be fairly important! and in that instance any of those lenses are on an equal playing field [They're all f/2.8, the shutter speed will either freeze the motion or blur and show it, and IS wont do much about that!]

Just trying to give you some hope and alternates!

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

MarkDaSpark
27 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 16, 2008 04:15 |  #13

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother renting. My last two lenses, 17-55 and 70-200, were purchased less than a month after renting them. I don't even want to know what would happen to my wallet if I rented an 85 f/1.2 :rolleyes:

cheson74
260 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 17, 2008 06:58 |  #14

Get the tank, you know you want it. Seriously though, the weight isn't that bad.

This photo was taken with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS with a TC.

IMAGE: http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/data/2172/medium/Soldiers.jpg

Canon 5D | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | Full Gear List

Chris
Goldmember
4,128 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 17, 2008 07:20 |  #15

Ya big dummy. Don't you know that 8 out of 10 photographers who rent this lens, buy this lens?;)

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

sponsored links

2,620 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rented a 70-200 2.8 IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.