Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 13 Oct 2008 (Monday) 18:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you deal with comp vs focus points??

savone
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 13, 2008 18:48 |  #1

Ok I thought I would get some input here from you guys and girls. I often like to shoot at a low aperture which as we all know limits your focused areas (very shallow DOF). So I was just wondering how everyone here deals with composition vs focus points? Its not always possible to drop a focus point on someones eye(s) and still get the composition you want. So do you shoot with focus points on the eyes and crop in post? Or do you focus and then recompose the shot in camera (which often for me leads to a mis focus).

Anyway, here is an image where I came across this problem. Comments are more than welcome...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

sponsored links
Shutter22
I'm very sensitive
1,379 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 13, 2008 19:21 |  #2

Personally, I hate cropping in post, unless it's absolutely necessary.

I choose a focal point that's close, and recompose.

Danielle
http://flickr.com/phot​os/danielledeleon/ (external link)https://photography-on-the.net/forum/danielle​.dphoto.com

tacoma200
203 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 13, 2008 22:05 |  #3

I use the center focus point to focus on the eyes (since it's the most accurate) then recompose for the shot. Sometimes focus can be lost while recomposing but this is the most popular technique I know of. I love to shoot wide open also so I know I'm going to get less keepers so I make sure to take more than one of each pose.

Relearning Portrait Photography
Canon 5D+Rebel 28-135 IS
Canon 85 1.8, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 90 macro
Emotional appeal then technical excellence
All feedback is meant to be helful not hurtful

Zazoh
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 13, 2008 22:09 |  #4

On the 5D, which you have, custom set the multidirection joystick to select focus points, then it only takes a twitch in either direction to change points, pushing down re-centers.

A Camera - A Lens -- Gear Doesn't Matter

Rhinotherunt
Looking for a Rock
7,129 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 13, 2008 23:46 |  #5

Zazoh wrote in post #6491119 (external link)
On the 5D, which you have, custom set the multidirection joystick to select focus points, then it only takes a twitch in either direction to change points, pushing down re-centers.

Ditto^^

Plus use DOF Calc: http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

Ryan McGill
My Gearhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=592450

tacoma200
203 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 14, 2008 00:24 |  #6

The eyes never seem to line up with the sensors, even with the joy stick so focus/recompose is my best bet. Glad others have had such luck but at 1.8 the sensor has to be directly on the eye, not close. Experiment a little.

Relearning Portrait Photography
Canon 5D+Rebel 28-135 IS
Canon 85 1.8, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 90 macro
Emotional appeal then technical excellence
All feedback is meant to be helful not hurtful

fubarhouse
480 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 14, 2008 03:07 |  #7

If you really took some time, you can use the 40D's live view and zoom in 10x, move to where the eyes are, get the model to stay terribly still and manually focus on the eyes. and then release the shutter.

Just noticed you've got a 5d, so thats not an option, I ususally focus on a point that is close to what I want in focus (using * function - not sure if that is on the 5D) and then release shutter. If not, focus near eyes, turn manual focus on and recompose. I'm sure there are many ways, but those are the ways I would go about it.

Canon 40D, 580EXII, BG-E2N, RS-80N3 (Remote), Velbon Vel-flo 5 PH 248 (Tripod), Velbon RUP-43 (Monopod), Hoya CP Filters
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM Canon EFS 17-85/4.0-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 28-300mm F/3.5-5.6 L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 L IS USM.
My Gear | My Website (external link)

S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 14, 2008 03:13 |  #8

focus-recompose, multiple shots if possible

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,911 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 14, 2008 05:24 |  #9

I use the joystick to select the closest focus point to the eyes, then I recompose.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 14, 2008 07:59 |  #10

Shutter22 wrote in post #6490227 (external link)
Personally, I hate cropping in post, unless it's absolutely necessary.

I choose a focal point that's close, and recompose.

Same here when shooting for myself. But for paying customers cropping is a necessary "evil". It is not often that people only buy one size of your image. Often times you will have to work with 2 or 3 different aspect ratios in order to get the correct print sizes. So cropping is a must. In this case it is often best to shoot loose so you don't have to crop out important bits in the shot. This can affect your DOF, but it also may move the focal points closer to your desired location on your subject.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 14, 2008 10:16 as a reply to  @ In2Photos's post |  #11

Questions about the joystick have been moved to a new thread:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=585000

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

bl4scott
258 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 14, 2008 10:19 |  #12

This is something that I too have questioned too. I love the 85 and shooting wide open. It seems that everyone has a different opinion to this. I read a great article about using a focus point and recomposing can be dangerous due to the shallow dof. It is a pain to keep moving the focus point to match up with the eyes but it seems to be the only way to get the most keepers.

Brian

5D MkII * 7D gripped * / Canon 85 1.8 / Canon 24-70 L / Canon 70-200 2.8 L / Sigma 30 1.4

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 14, 2008 10:21 |  #13

savone wrote in post #6490062 (external link)
Its not always possible to drop a focus point on someones eye(s) and still get the composition you want.

Have you tried MANUAL focus?

Dave Hoffmann

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 14, 2008 10:33 |  #14

Use the * button to AF, then just use the center AF point as your focusing point and re compose once you have what you want in focus. Thats how I do it.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

OL9245
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 14, 2008 11:13 |  #15

ben_r_ wrote in post #6493870 (external link)
Use the * button to AF, then just use the center AF point as your focusing point and re compose once you have what you want in focus. Thats how I do it.

That's what I do. Custum function #4 on the 5D if I remember well (not sure)

Gear list. Photoshop tips and tricks I've learned here at POTN.
English is not my native language. Once and then, I can make funny sentences :shock:
learn more about my avatar

sponsored links

1,770 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you deal with comp vs focus points??
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.