Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Oct 2008 (Monday) 23:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

All-In-One Photo Printers

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 13, 2008 23:26 |  #1

I am considering buying an "all-in-one" photo printer for use as a general purpose color printer (i.e. for my daughter's school work), occasional photo printer, and color scanner. (I already have an all-in-one laser printer with a fax). For high-volume or large scale photo printing, I'd still use a photo service. I would however like to have a very good color scanner.

I've been looking at the new Canon PIXMA MP980 or an HP Photosmart C8180. Either of these printers can be purchased for about $300. Does anyone have any experience with either of these printers? If there is another make/model that you would recommend instead at this price point, please feel free to make that suggestion.

Blane
Gear List

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 14, 2008 12:09 |  #2

I have an HP Photosmart C5180? and it works Ok. Its an all in one so it really doesn't do any one thing great. Its scanner is terrible, It does suck ink like a sponge when you print best DPI (which you will need)
I can also tell you that the Photosmart software is horrible, IMHO. There software makes it 50 times more complicated than it needs to be.

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 14, 2008 12:13 |  #3

The 980 just made it to retailers last week so there isn't much being said about it yet. I'm looking at it since it has an extra gray ink for smoother black and white gradations.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

BTBeilke
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 14, 2008 13:35 |  #4

TheHoff wrote in post #6494310 (external link)
The 980 just made it to retailers last week so there isn't much being said about it yet. I'm looking at it since it has an extra gray ink for smoother black and white gradations.

Yes, that is the problem I've had trying to get a feel for the MP980. I was hoping some of the early adapters around here might have already picked one up.

It seems like the magazine and website reviews are either very shallow or have built-in biases. For instance, I read one review on the C8180 that couldn't get over the fact that it was an "all-in-one" without a fax. And while some of the reviews focus a lot on film/slide scanning, I haven't found much said (good or bad) about scanning prints.

Just as an aside, when it comes to reviews (i.e. Consumer Reports, etc.), I've always wished they would score their reviews two different ways. First, I would like them to rate equipment models simply by what they determine to be the best performers. The second rating would then be what models the determine to have the best value (combine performance and cost). So many reviews seem to pick obviously inferior equipment over better equipment on the value aspect alone. I feel I can make my own value judgment. If they want to say Product A is not quite as good as Product B but costs half as much, that is fine. But don't rank Product A at 95 and Product B at 75 just because of cost when B outperforms A. JMO

Blane
Gear List

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 14, 2008 13:59 |  #5

I would early adopt but the Canada price is ridiculous.. $100 more than US stores

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

924 views & 0 likes for this thread
All-In-One Photo Printers
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.