Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Oct 2008 (Tuesday) 03:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

People don't understand...

cheson74
260 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 14, 2008 03:09 |  #1

I think most people don’t understand the amount of work that goes into photography. I think the majority think that DSLRs are like point and shoot cameras.

I’m in the US Army and have been deployed to Iraq for the past 11 months. I’ve taken a ton of photos for my Company and Battalion. I don’t mind because it’s a break away from the crappy life in Iraq.

As an example, a couple days ago, we had a change of command ceremony. I took about 237 photos of which, 80ish were unique and the rest were various burst shots. I gave him 80 shots that I processed within the first 24 hours of the shoot. My First Sergeant wants ALL of the photos and wants them immediately. I didn’t even bother explaining that I shoot in all RAW.

This type of grief does take a lot of joy out of photographing. It amazes me people regardless of profession want instant gratification. They all seem to think the "big expensive camera" takes nice point and shoot pictures.

Anybody else deal with similar expectations from clients, family, friends, etc?

Canon 5D | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | Full Gear List

sponsored links
S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 14, 2008 03:18 |  #2

thing is you can only work as fast as you can work... tell him each photo takes 5 mins to process & prepare, if he argues give him 1 raw file and show him its no good like that

markya
75 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 14, 2008 03:20 |  #3

Give him a CD burned with all the RAW images. Assume he can't open them and give him the processed files later when he's not looked at them 3 weeks later?

It sucks though...

Canon EOS 40D/ Canon EOS 550D (wife) / 18-55 IS / Sigma 30mm 1.4 / 75-300 EF II / 70-300 IS / 28-70 EF II / 580EXII
My flickr (external link)

woodsie
701 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 14, 2008 04:13 as a reply to  @ markya's post |  #4

Probably doesn't help in this case, but might for future reference. I shoot RAW+S so that if I need to give some instant feedback I can just pop them the small JPEGs with the explanation that I can give them better quality images later.. The small JPEGs are so small compared to the RAW files it has virtually no impact on the capacity of my memory card.

1DMkIIn, 20D and S80 - Full gear list
http://woodsie.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 14, 2008 04:51 |  #5

cheson74 wrote in post #6492311 (external link)
My First Sergeant wants ALL of the photos and wants them immediately.

Welcome to the real world.

When you deal with clients, whether sergeants or companies or editors, you're going to deal with deadlines. If you can't quickly produce a usable product for those people, you won't get jobs and those who can produce that product will get the jobs. Working pros deal with hard deadlines all the time, and now it's your turn to learn. First, find what your client wants in advance, then work so you can deliver that material on time.

If you have files that your client can't use or are in a format the client doesn't want, you're not done.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 14, 2008 04:54 as a reply to  @ woodsie's post |  #6

There you go,, there's your problem,, you shot in RAW..

On a serious side,, I never shoot in RAW.. I worked for a newspaper for 17 years,, digital since 1999 but we never shot in RAW for a number of reasons.. When you have 80 to 100 images to PP, convert, PP and file to meet deadline RAW is a damn pain in the butt.. Our imagining department, the guys who made our pics look good and suitable for publication only accepted Jpeg for the same reasons..

Shooting RAW is a pain in the arse if you have a deadline..

Long Live Jpeg!!!

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 14, 2008 04:57 |  #7

Shoot RAW + L

That way, you can hand over the jpg files and explain that if they want any improving, then you can do that. If he's happy with the jpg files, then that's fine - less work for you.

Then you're free to process your favourite RAW files in your own time without being hassled to meet a deadline. When you're happy with your work, re-submit saying that you've made some of them look better.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

ThomGascoigne
820 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 14, 2008 05:09 |  #8

Yeah man all the time.. What can I say.. People are idiots.

5D MK II | 20D | 14 F/2.8L II | 24-70 F/2.8L | 70-200 F/2.8L IS | [FONT="Arial Black"]28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580 EX II
Gear List

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 14, 2008 05:28 as a reply to  @ ThomGascoigne's post |  #9

I might suggest that you inadvertently took a picture of someone in the formation ceremony that
didn't want their picture taken and that your Sergeant was playing "cover my a$$".

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 14, 2008 06:07 |  #10

Pete wrote in post #6492542 (external link)
Shoot RAW + L

That way, you can hand over the jpg files and explain that if they want any improving, then you can do that. If he's happy with the jpg files, then that's fine - less work for you.

Then you're free to process your favourite RAW files in your own time without being hassled to meet a deadline. When you're happy with your work, re-submit saying that you've made some of them look better.

Even better yet, shoot RAW + Fine Small. On your 5D, those images will be 2496x1664. That should be plenty big enough for most of what they want to use your images for. This will buy you time to process your RAWs that you can resubmit later if necessary.

On any paid gig, I always shoot RAW + Normal Small if handing over images immediately is required. The Small Normal JPEGs are the proofs that I can give right away (after a batch resize and watermarking).

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

rabidcow
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 14, 2008 06:09 |  #11

Leaping from RAW to JPEG is scary, but you might want to consider it. I quit shooting RAW altogether and life is peachy.

Steven A. Pryor (external link)
Photo Manager, Prestige Portraits (Central Indiana)
Pixel peep or shoot...Pixel peep or shoot... or shoot... (external link)
Stuff

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 14, 2008 06:15 |  #12

Pete wrote in post #6492542 (external link)
Shoot RAW + L

I always shoot RAW plus Large JPG. Like Pete said, it gives you the best of both worlds - .JPGs that you can distribute immediately if needed and RAW for any post-processing work you may want to do.

It's rather important, though, to get your exposures and white balance correct in the camera if you're going to distribute the unedited .JPG files. Some folks use RAW format so that they can be "lazy" (for lack of a better term) about getting exposures and white balance optimized in the camera. If you're shooting all .JPG files, you have to be shooting as if you were shooting film.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

cheson74
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 14, 2008 08:02 |  #13

Meeting deadlines is not a problem. My issue is with people that want the 200+ images shot and delivered the next day.

I've avoided shooting RAW+JPG out of personal pride. I didn't want to handle over a less than complete shoot. However, it they are going to make unrealistic demands, then I'll just eat the pride and hand over the JPG files.

Thanks for the input. Keep em coming.

On another note, they asked me how I wanted the formation to look. I told them I didn't really care as long as they don't have their backs to the sun. Guess how they setup the formation? hah go figure.

PhotosGuy
75,898 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 14, 2008 09:46 |  #14

There you go,, there's your problem,, you shot in RAW..

No. The problem is unrealistic expectations & I'd never allow a "client" to dictate how I capture my images . The field first needs to be educated is all. RAW + L would partially solve the problem, but he needs to understand that time needs to be spent to tweak the images after the event, even if it's only final sharpening. So he needs to pick just a few if he needs them right away.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

cheson74
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 14, 2008 11:31 |  #15

Here are some of the photos. They could have been a lot better if not for their backs to the sun but overall, I'm happy with the way they turned out.

The ceremony was for changing out Company Commanders. The old Commander was with us for almost 3 years and led the Company through 11 months in Iraq. The new Commander will take the helm for the last 4 months here.

IMAGE: http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/data/2172/Soldiers.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/data/2172/CO.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/data/2172/1st_Plt.jpg

sponsored links

2,919 views & 0 likes for this thread
People don't understand...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.