Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Oct 2008 (Wednesday) 01:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon renewed my love for my 20D

thelightofsound
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 15, 2008 13:47 |  #16

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #6501081 (external link)
No, actually they don't. :rolleyes:

If you wanna be argumentative, use examples.

auto focus, iso performance, metering, fps, crop factors, flash control, menu navigation, just to name a few reasons on why the camera matters.

--atlanta photographer michael saba (external link) - music photography (external link)

sponsored links
shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 15, 2008 15:27 |  #17

I'll post some samples comparing my 20D to the D80 when I get a chance.

m-bartelt
789 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 15, 2008 15:34 |  #18

thelightofsound wrote in post #6501167 (external link)
auto focus, iso performance, metering, fps, crop factors, flash control, menu navigation, just to name a few reasons on why the camera matters.

Yeah, OMG, I mean nobody ever took a good photo before dSLRs without all that fancy automatic stuff!!!  :p

Wow... I should just throw my old rangefinders in the trash... :rolleyes:

Canon 40D 10-22mm 24-105L 580 EX II
Canon IIIA LTM Serenar 28mm 3.5
Serenar 50mm 1.8
Leica IIIf RD ST LTM Elmar 50mm 3.5
Nikkor 50mm 1.4
Kodak Brownie No 2
:P

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 15, 2008 15:40 |  #19

m-bartelt wrote in post #6501793 (external link)
Yeah, OMG, I mean nobody ever took a good photo before dSLRs without all that fancy automatic stuff!!! :p

Of course nothing in life is so one sided. Gear matters, skills matter.

Considering equal skills and technique, good gear make life much easier.

Gear List

Michael

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,608 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 15, 2008 16:18 |  #20

versedmb wrote in post #6501828 (external link)
...Considering equal skills and technique, good gear make life much easier.

I think that this says it all. Gear is just gear and you can put the best gear in the hand of someone who has no skill and they will produce crap, and you can put a P/S in the hands of someone highly skilled and they can produce some very nice work.

But given a fixed skill level, your going to be able to produce better results with higher quality gear. That's why so many here crave L glass and single digit bodies. If gear really didn't make a difference, we would all have 300Ds and a kit lens.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

m-bartelt
789 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 15, 2008 16:28 |  #21

Anyways, sorry for my rude burst of sarcasm.

Autofocus, autometering, etc... only make it much easier to take a picture.

A crap camera in the hands of a pro will produce much better results than a novice with the best gear.

Technique > gear 24/7

Canon 40D 10-22mm 24-105L 580 EX II
Canon IIIA LTM Serenar 28mm 3.5
Serenar 50mm 1.8
Leica IIIf RD ST LTM Elmar 50mm 3.5
Nikkor 50mm 1.4
Kodak Brownie No 2
:P

thelightofsound
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 15, 2008 16:39 |  #22

i didn't say that you can't take a good photo without those things. you must have missed the point in all the sarcasm.
and it's funny you mention your rangefinders because if cameras do not matter, then why would you need a rangefinder???
and your point is also lost in the conversion from digital to film. i can take the same picture with my spotomatic as any other 35mm camera assuming the focus and exposure are correct; however, that is not the case with a digital sensor. and also it is the ease of achieving the focus and correct exposure that makes some cameras easier to operate than others

m-bartelt wrote in post #6501793 (external link)
Yeah, OMG, I mean nobody ever took a good photo before dSLRs without all that fancy automatic stuff!!! :p

--atlanta photographer michael saba (external link) - music photography (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 15, 2008 17:51 |  #23

thelightofsound wrote in post #6502150 (external link)
i didn't say that you can't take a good photo without those things. you must have missed the point in all the sarcasm.
and it's funny you mention your rangefinders because if cameras do not matter, then why would you need a rangefinder???
and your point is also lost in the conversion from digital to film. i can take the same picture with my spotomatic as any other 35mm camera assuming the focus and exposure are correct;

Of course, having the exposure correct doesn't help you if your exposure parameters aren't set properly to accomodate the requirements of the scene and/or your creative intent, such as motion and how it should be captured (or stopped).

That's where gear limitations can come into play in a major way. The difference between a camera that, for instance, has good high-ISO capability and one that doesn't can easily make the difference between getting good results from the shot and getting poor results. You'll quickly run into limitations like this when you attempt to capture relatively large depth-of-field shots of people in low light.

The bottom line is that the gear you have determines the compromises you have to make in order to get the shot, and ultimately places upper bounds on what you can do. The more capable the gear, the more flexibility you'll have in your creative decisions.

The skill of the photographer counts for more than most people realize, but I think in a way it's a two-edged sword: on the one hand, with greater skill comes greater ability to work within the limitations of the camera, but on the other hand, I expect that greater skill also increases the chance of hitting some of those limitations.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 01, 2008 22:40 |  #24

I realize this is a pretty old and dead thread, but I just wanted to clarify something, just in case anyone searches for anything on the d80 around here. My disappointment with the body was because of its ISO performance...that's it. All of the other factors that have been mentioned here weren't a problem for me, and in fact, in most of those categories, the body performed excellently. It feels great to shoot with, and I really wanted to like it, but high ISO performance is one of the most important factors in a body for me, since I do mostly low-light shooting. If you don't shoot at high ISOs often, I would highly recommend the camera, especially at the low prices it can be had at now used. I just wanted to clarify. Thanks!

sponsored links

2,550 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon renewed my love for my 20D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.