Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Oct 2008 (Wednesday) 06:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A stark reminder to us all

tim
Light Bringer
50,938 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 15, 2008 06:10 |  #1

The sudden and unexpected death of the mother of one of my wedding customers from this year prompts me to remind everyone about the importance of what we do. The wedding photos are the last taken of her, they're the only photos of the family taken in the past few years. The mother was a little shy, so there weren't many photos of her taken even at the wedding.

This isn't a rare occurrence, i've had a number of calls like this over the past few years.

We're not just there to take pretty pictures of the bride and groom, we're there to document the day and take photos of everyone close to the bride and groom. I know in future i'll put more emphasis on taking photos of the parents, the grandparents, and the elderly friends of family of the bride and groom. If people don't want their photo taken have the bride and groom come over and take their photo together.

The prints i'm having made for the family will be part of the way the husband and family remember her. Don't take the responsibility lightly, we're the guardians of precious memories for these families.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 15, 2008 06:52 |  #2

Nice post tim..... At my first wedding last weekend, the bride's father was having an absolute blast (bride was a bit older, so father was up there in age) on the dance floor so I made sure to get LOTS of pictures of him. I'm sure the bride will love them and I realize he won't be here forever (who is?) so I wanted to make sure she has some great memories of him....

Another quick story, I was at a holiday party at my wife's job and I got a quick snap of two employees, a man and a woman. A few months later my wife asks me if I can send a high res copy of that image to the woman since she remembered I took their picture. Turns out the man had just passed away from cancer (I had no idea he was sick at the time). She was so grateful to have that picture of her and her good friend. That alone makes all of this worth it for me.....

Suedezu
Goldmember
1,512 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 15, 2008 06:54 |  #3

This is an excellent reminder of the importance of what we do as wedding photographers and the responsibility we have to cover the event as perfectly as we can.

Also this reminds us not to focus solely on the bride and groom.

What a sad story, Tim!

I will try to keep this in mind for my future weddings. Thank you!

General gallery: http://andreimorar.zen​folio.com (external link)Commercial wedding photography:www.andrei-morar.ro
[/SIZE][/FONT]

shaggymatt
555 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 15, 2008 07:14 |  #4

Similar for me. My grandmother passed away shortly after my wedding. Those were the last somewhat formal (beach wedding) pictures anyone had of her.

I was a second shooter at a wedding this past weekend, as my first paid gig. I made it a point to try and at least get a picture of every couple during the slow dances.

Pelican 1614
Gear List

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,394 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 15, 2008 08:59 |  #5

A good but sad post Tim, thanks for sharing.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Robert16
I feel like such a square
2,178 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 15, 2008 09:44 |  #6

A good point well made - something to think about.

Robert.

gear

BOUNCINGNRG
Goldmember
1,794 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 16, 2008 03:27 |  #7

Well said Tim. I did a wedding for a friend in a simular situation, they were brave enough to tell me in advance that there dad was ill, so i was able to get plenty of pic's of him, he passed away 2 weeks after the wedding.

London Wedding Photographer (external link) ¦ Wedding Photographer (external link) ¦Gear List ¦Photobucket  (external link)¦corporate event photography (external link) 'I reject your reality and substitute my own'

BeccaJ
484 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 16, 2008 08:06 |  #8

I think this falls true for any family event...not just weddings. Before i got seriously into photography, i had brought a friend with me to my family christmas. I wasnt taking pictures of everyone individually, but i got the camera out for a group pic before everyone left. My friend took the picture of all of us. That was the last Christmas my cousin was here with us (2006), as he was killed in Iraq a few days prior to Christmas '07. I even have a pic of him, his brother, and 2 cousins from Easter 03 that i took with a point and shoot, not thinking anything of it... I dont know what I'd do if I ever lost either of those pictures.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a wedding coming up on the 25th.

Blog (external link) / Facebook (external link) / Twitter (external link)

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 21, 2008 07:16 |  #9

I was at a Christmas party with my wife and her side of the family last year and took some pictures, group and individual. Took some pics of her mom and grandparents. Well about 2 months her grandpa passed away and when we got to the funeral I was surprised to see the picture that I took of her grandpa on the cascet... Very good point you made Tim!!!

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

sando
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 23, 2008 11:56 |  #10

tim wrote in post #6499153 (external link)
The sudden and unexpected death of the mother of one of my wedding customers from this year prompts me to remind everyone about the importance of what we do. The wedding photos are the last taken of her, they're the only photos of the family taken in the past few years. The mother was a little shy, so there weren't many photos of her taken even at the wedding.

This isn't a rare occurrence, i've had a number of calls like this over the past few years.

We're not just there to take pretty pictures of the bride and groom, we're there to document the day and take photos of everyone close to the bride and groom. I know in future i'll put more emphasis on taking photos of the parents, the grandparents, and the elderly friends of family of the bride and groom. If people don't want their photo taken have the bride and groom come over and take their photo together.

The prints i'm having made for the family will be part of the way the husband and family remember her. Don't take the responsibility lightly, we're the guardians of precious memories for these families.

You're a sentimental softie at heart, ain't ya, Tim. ;)

Good post. :D

- Matt

john ­ salgado
164 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 27, 2008 12:27 |  #11

Well said , true professional.

john salgado san diego wedding photographer Canon gear

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,957 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 27, 2008 18:59 |  #12

tim wrote in post #6499153 (external link)

Thanks for that reminder, Tim. I often think that photographers take too casually the wedding job, and tackle them before they are truly ready to undertake an important task. As you point out, as important as the bride and groom are on this day, even more important is the fact that the wedding serves as a reason why family members and close friends come very long distances at great cost or inconvenience. And our job is to chronicle that gathering because of the unknown about when, if ever, the group is assembled again. So while you can rent a tux and restage a wedding, the loved ones from far away cannot be 'restaged'! It really disturbs me to read "I'm shooting my first wedding, how do I use a flash?" or similar things, when the photographer is not a close friend or relative filling in when the budget is tight!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

LVPhotos
159 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 29, 2008 00:14 |  #13

Very good points... we were just talking about this today... in the most basic sense, this is the order in which we "prioritize" our photo-taking time:

1. Bride
1a. Groom
2. B&G Together
3. Grandparents (for exactly the reason posted in the OP)
4. Parents
5. Cute little kids.

Of course there's a ton of things that go below #5 but I think most would agree these are pretty good priorities!

My blog: http://www.tiffanygpho​to.com/blog (external link)
I work exclusively through: http://www.djaysentert​ainment.com (external link) and www.lvbestdj.com (external link)

ironchef31
623 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 29, 2008 00:59 |  #14

This is a very good point. I love photography because I get to be a witness to peoples lives. The one wedding i helped with, i made a point to have some special shots of the brides 90 year old grandmother. She passed away shortly after the wedding.

Ken
30D, 18-55mm, nifty 50, 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F2.8 IS

I tried to bounce my flash off the ceiling once. Left a mark on the ceiling and broke my flash.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 29, 2008 01:03 |  #15

Forgive me for horning in but I just wanted to say that I like the sentiment being expressed here...

It's not just "family" events where capturing images may be of some emotional benefit at a later time. The flying community is litterally peppered with instances where a quickie "snap shot" taken at a pancake fly in or barbeque turns out to be the last image captured of a friend and fellow pilot.

Cherish the moments .. Live in the moments .. Hold on the memories

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

13,544 views & 0 likes for this thread
A stark reminder to us all
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.