Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Oct 2008 (Friday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it me or the camera?

Zander ­ Albertson
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 17, 2008 11:57 |  #1

My 40D isn't producing too many more keepers than my 20D did... is this normal? After using my 1D and seeing every single shot in focus (if I do my part) I am very tempted by a Mark II.Is it normal for the 40D in Servo mode, single AF point selected, to have the same keeper rate as the 20D? I am using the 70-200 2.8L.Thanks!Zander

Editorial Photographer, Canon Digital.

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,930 posts
Gallery: 1740 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 17, 2008 12:03 |  #2

Are you using the center point focus?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

steevo2008
314 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 17, 2008 12:07 |  #3

Hi,
without seeing an example its hard to make an educated decision on your problem. For me this would not be the case as I find my 40D to be faultless in this type of situation. My keeper rate has gone up considerably since stepping up to the 40D from my 400D.

I would say check your technique first and then if all seems good there then question the camera.

Steve
From NZ

Gear List: 1DMkII - 40D gripped - EFS60mm Macro - EF 50mm 1.4- Sigma 15-30 EX - EF 70-200 f4 L - EF 400 f5.6 L.

Zander ­ Albertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 17, 2008 12:08 |  #4

Yes on the center point focus. I will post some examples in a moment.

Zander ­ Albertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 17, 2008 12:16 |  #5

So here are some examples... the first is from the 1D/70-200L, the second is the 40D/70-200L. Both center point AF, AI servo, burst mode. Both shot only a few minutes apart at the same location.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Cl!ckFoto
Goldmember
1,371 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 17, 2008 12:17 |  #6

try using AI Focus instead of servo?

-Matt
FOR SALE!
5D|17-40L SOLD!|85f1.8|Sigmalux SOLD!|580ex SOLD!

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 17, 2008 12:23 |  #7

Simple, 1d focusing system has been the same professional level system for over a decade. No way a consumer camera will match it. 1dmkii sounds like a perfect match for you.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,930 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 17, 2008 12:30 |  #8

Probably just me but for some reason, when I try to read the EXIF w/ my image viewer, it says both images were taken w/ the 20D @ 1/4s.

Guess my kohmpootah's being screwy.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Zander ­ Albertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 17, 2008 12:31 |  #9

Ah, that must be it! I have a 20D with a 40D label! :D

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,930 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 17, 2008 12:32 |  #10

Hahaha... how would you explain the first pic. hard to relabel a 20D -> 1D. ;)

Julian

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 17, 2008 12:38 |  #11

Cl!ckFoto wrote in post #6512907 (external link)
try using AI Focus instead of servo?

It'd be worse from my experience.

Cl!ckFoto
Goldmember
1,371 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 17, 2008 12:56 |  #12

well then, nevermind!

-Matt
FOR SALE!
5D|17-40L SOLD!|85f1.8|Sigmalux SOLD!|580ex SOLD!

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,492 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 17, 2008 13:21 |  #13

For comparison puposes the pair of photos above is not valid. The first was shot at 1/800 and the second at 1/400. With a running subject my experience is that 1/400 is kind of borderline and may well be the reason for the difference between the two. I see you had the 1D's ISO at 400 and the 40D at 160. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the 40D at ISO 400 in order to get the needed shutter speed.

Elie / אלי

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 17, 2008 14:50 |  #14

tzalman wrote in post #6513237 (external link)
The first was shot at 1/800 and the second at 1/400.

Plus the second shot is f/3.2 -vs- f/4 in the 1D shot. So you're really handicapping the 40D there, less DOF and less speed to freeze the motion...

What are you seeing, not sharp at ALL, or not sharp enough? The 1D is a much sharper body because of it's CCD sensor and weak AA filter. So it's images will be sharper compared to a 40D at 100%, but realize it's 4mp -vs- 10mp. Print both at the same print size and see how they look.

If you're getting OOF shots that are unusably soft, then, yeah, you have an issue, but of these 2 shots, the camera settings could account for it, and you could certainly sharpen either of those to make them usable in a print.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 17, 2008 15:00 |  #15

I have both the 40D and the 1D classic. Sit down and take a deep breath. The fact is, that 8 year old 1D is still the better camera. :mrgreen:

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sponsored links

2,357 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it me or the camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.