Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Dec 2003 (Friday) 22:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your home office/studio...

richardsc0
693 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 23, 2009 00:27 |  #481

katodog wrote in post #8854782 (external link)
No. You wanna know how many movies, songs, and images are stored on those?? Space is a precious, precious thing for me. I could easily count 400 movies on one single drive, and probably over 10,000 songs. Heck, I've got 3,000 songs on my laptop right now.

Besides, there's only 5 drives there, the silver one is an external dvd recorder. Makes it easier to copy stuff disc-to-disc rather than using the drive in the laptop. Maybe you should see the inside of my closet, where there are 8 more 1TB MyBooks unopened, waiting for the chance to make the lineup.

Do the two drives in the laptop, and the few internals laying around in the drawers count too?? I'm a dirty little drive-space whore :D

JBaz wrote in post #8862777 (external link)
heh, I have like 10 external drives now. I keep on buying the small 2.5" size drives when they go on sale then think about selling them on ebay... nope, I just end up keeping them. I always have that inherit problem, buying stuff I don't need just because they were a good deal. :(

You guys keep all that data on external drives? You've got alot of faith in the reliability of those drives and their crappy PSU's (not to mention the mess of cabling!!)

I got burned too many times by drive failure, so it was time to build a fileserver...

I built a ~7TB fileserver in my closet, running FreeNAS (external link) + ZFS RAIDZ2 array with 2x hot spare disks in the chassis should a disk failure occur. I'd need three drives to totally die out of the RAID array before I lose data.

I also have 2TB of space on two more fileservers out of my apartment for "critical" data that needs backing up in case the place floods / burns down / gets invaded by zombies...

I do time machine (external link) backups of all my macs over the network to this fileserver. I store all my music / movies / apps / junk on the fileserver, and that data is backed up offsite.

If any one of my computers dies ... no big loss of data - I just restore it from backups ... I don't store any local data on my systems.

Goodbye, external drives. You will not be missed:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

sponsored links
JBaz
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 23, 2009 00:36 |  #482

I run 2TB file server that's a few years old now and needs to be upgraded. I have a number of double and triple redundant files on the backup externals and usually burn DVD media every once in a while. I also upload essential RAW files by client info on my FTP server. I don't keep all 10 external drive hooked up at the same time.

Camera Gear

"Besides the military, photography is the only profession of where you can be proud of shooting people..."

richardsc0
693 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 23, 2009 01:18 |  #483

JBaz wrote in post #8877517 (external link)
I run 2TB file server that's a few years old now and needs to be upgraded. I have a number of double and triple redundant files on the backup externals and usually burn DVD media every once in a while. I also upload essential RAW files by client info on my FTP server. I don't keep all 10 external drive hooked up at the same time.

Samsung 1TB HD's are ~$85 a piece @ newegg.com (external link)

I have 10 of them right now. The beauty of ZFS is that I can add more and more space to my existing storage pool without needing to do any extensive rebuilds.

I highly recommend FreeNAS + ZFS (or OpenSolaris + ZFS for unix junkies) to anyone here wanting to build a high performance, scalable file server for home / office use. It'll serve files to windows, mac, linux clients, do FTP server, bit-torrent client, itunes sharing, UPnP, and more :cool:

JBaz
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 23, 2009 12:07 |  #484

Yeah, I think I'll definitely take that route when I do decide to upgrade. 2TB is more than enough for me with just stills, but once I dabble with HD video, I'm going to have to upgrade.

Camera Gear

"Besides the military, photography is the only profession of where you can be proud of shooting people..."

tester3000
111 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 27, 2009 13:45 |  #485

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

PC Specs:
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz
2x3GB DDR3-1600Mhz
2x nVidia 8800GT in SLi
2x 500GB Seagate's in Raid 0
1.5TB Seagate for Storage

Canon 60D | Canon 24-105 f/4L IS | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Venno
151 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 31, 2009 08:03 |  #486

How is 5.1 speakers set up like that? Does it give off a dodgy sound or is it pretty fine?

Ronald S. Jr. wrote in post #8915864 (external link)
Here's my workspace. It's where I avoid getting stuff done.

Awesome with the gun on your desk. How is that keyboard? I was looking at getting one but the price was a bit too high at the time of looking.

*edit*

Deleted photos as request.

tester3000
111 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 03, 2009 20:39 |  #487

The 5.1 speaker system works fine. I don't really use it to watch movies or anything like that so "surround sound" isn't really necessary. Most use them for music, etc.. and they work fine for that. Put out a decent amount of sound for a $50 setup :)

Canon 60D | Canon 24-105 f/4L IS | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,481 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 04, 2009 00:01 |  #488

Venno wrote in post #8929069 (external link)
Awesome with the gun on your desk. How is that keyboard? I was looking at getting one but the price was a bit too high at the time of looking.

Heh...that 1911 goes everywhere I do.

As for the keyboard? Amazing. Battery life is out of this world. It's awfully handy sitting in front of my TV (yes, the iMac is hooked to my HDTV) with a wireless trackpad.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 07, 2009 10:12 |  #489

Ronald S. Jr. wrote in post #8951272 (external link)
Heh...that 1911 goes everywhere I do.

Hey....long time no see, Ronald.

I finally got a concealed carry permit, and the .45 is my first choice. I don't have a 1911, though. I have a Sig, and it works okay. I do have a 10mm Gold Cup, but that guns too nice to throw in the glove compartment.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,481 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 08, 2009 21:04 |  #490

Not only do you not toss around a Gold Cup, but 10mm isn't exactly plentiful or cheap. .45 is my preference, as well, obviously. Some ask why, and the answer is simple. Because shooting more than once is just silly.

eddarr
There's Moderators under there....
8,907 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 08, 2009 21:19 |  #491

Ronald S. Jr. wrote in post #8980023 (external link)
Not only do you not toss around a Gold Cup, but 10mm isn't exactly plentiful or cheap. .45 is my preference, as well, obviously. Some ask why, and the answer is simple. Because shooting more than once is just silly.

Given a choice I chose bigger holes over speed every time.

Eric

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,481 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 08, 2009 22:16 |  #492

RWatkins wrote in post #8980404 (external link)
I'm going to guess that you have been to AR15.com? You shown the signs of an ar15.com poster; BeefJerky, LaRue, 1911, and XBOX360. Wild guess out of the dark, I know. Am I right Bushylover..errr... I mean Ronald S. Jr.?

:confused: Only thing I can figure is that you recognized my Stealth from the other thread.

That's f-ing HORRIBLE beef jerky, by the way.

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 08, 2009 22:24 |  #493

Ronald S. Jr. wrote in post #8980489 (external link)
:confused: Only thing I can figure is that you recognized my Stealth from the other thread.

That's f-ing HORRIBLE beef jerky, by the way.

Dude, you show all the signs, other than a visible BOB for when the Go Signal is given. I've been a poster on ar15.com since mid-2003, I can see one of us a click away.

BTW, get some homemade jerky at the next funshow.

Oh, and SmugMug is great for OPSEC, in that links can be made as not to give away the hierarchal structure of your hosting service ;)

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,481 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 08, 2009 22:36 |  #494

RWatkins wrote in post #8980527 (external link)
Dude, you show all the signs, other than a visible BOB for when the Go Signal is given. I've been a poster on ar15.com since mid-2003, I can see one of us a click away.

BTW, get some homemade jerky at the next funshow.

Oh, and SmugMug is great for OPSEC, in that links can be made as not to give away the hierarchal structure of your hosting service ;)

Did you just happen to remember my arf name?

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 08, 2009 22:51 |  #495

Ronald S. Jr. wrote in post #8980588 (external link)
Did you just happen to remember my arf name?

I took the image, looked at the address and did the following search

http://www.google.com …remulac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 (external link)

Poof!

BTW, how was the move from PA to NY?

SmugMug has a hide owner function. I use this on AR15.com and other sites. Since I post images of my firearms, I do not want this to come back and bite me.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

sponsored links

156,021 views & 0 likes for this thread
Show us your home office/studio...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.