Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Oct 2008 (Saturday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100-400L lens problem and question

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 18, 2008 18:40 |  #1

I picked up a new 100-400L lens while I was out of state doing a shoot. The lens was new, and wrapped up the way my other L lenses have been, and I have no reason to suspect it was a used item. The lens is nice and sharp while using autofocus, and I am pleased with its performance in that respect.

Sadly, there is a problem....

The manual focus ring moves the zoom tension ring. The tension ring will tighten the zoom, but it also tightens the manual focus ring. They will turn independant of each other if one or the other is held in place, but manual focus is not possible with this beast.

Is this a known problem? Is there anything I can do on this end aside from sending it back to Canon? I would be delighted to find out that it user error, but after using it for a few days, I doubt it.

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/ (external link)

sponsored links
zeva
Goldmember
2,533 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 18, 2008 20:25 |  #2

Huh? For mine you when the tension ring is tight only the manual focus ring moves.... they are independent of each other... If you think its a problem you can go to the store you boughtit from and return it? or claim manufacture defect?

40D :20D: Speedlite 430ex
100-400 F/4.5-5.6 L :17-55 F/2.8 IS :28-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS: 18-55 F/3.5-5.6: 10-22 F/3.5-4.5: 70-200 F/2.8 IS

Xico
112 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 18, 2008 20:29 |  #3

I think this is normal. Mine is doing the same thing. Sometimes the 2 rings stick together. I talked with other that also have that lens and they get the same result.

jmik26
917 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 18, 2008 20:30 |  #4

Stickman wrote in post #6519398 (external link)
I picked up a new 100-400L lens while I was out of state doing a shoot. The lens was new, and wrapped up the way my other L lenses have been, and I have no reason to suspect it was a used item. The lens is nice and sharp while using autofocus, and I am pleased with its performance in that respect.

Sadly, there is a problem....

The manual focus ring moves the zoom tension ring. The tension ring will tighten the zoom, but it also tightens the manual focus ring. They will turn independant of each other if one or the other is held in place, but manual focus is not possible with this beast.

Is this a known problem? Is there anything I can do on this end aside from sending it back to Canon? I would be delighted to find out that it user error, but after using it for a few days, I doubt it.

This is the way it is... Unless mine is broke too :eek:

www.jmikosphotography.​com (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 18, 2008 21:10 |  #5

that's the way it is.

Stickman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 18, 2008 21:34 |  #6

zeva wrote in post #6519777 (external link)
Huh? For mine you when the tension ring is tight only the manual focus ring moves.... they are independent of each other... If you think its a problem you can go to the store you boughtit from and return it? or claim manufacture defect?

The store I bought it from is about 3,000 miles away, going back is not much of an option at this time. The way you describe your lens is the way that I had thought it was supposed to work.

Stick

Stickman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 18, 2008 21:40 |  #7

Xico wrote in post #6519794 (external link)
I think this is normal. Mine is doing the same thing. Sometimes the 2 rings stick together. I talked with other that also have that lens and they get the same result.

The rings on mine rotate each other all the time, regardless of if the tension ring is set towards the smooth or tight side, which results in the tension ring going in complete circles around the body of the lens.

Manual focus is so tight as to be unusable. If this is normal, I can't figure out why I haven't seen this mentioned before. I certainly can't be the only person who still uses manual focus every once in awhile. :o

On a brighter note, the images are very sharp when I use autofocus. :)

Stick

Roy ­ Webber
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 19, 2008 00:31 |  #8

A great lens, but my tension ring seems to lock up on its own...pain in the butt when you want to adjust focal length quickly.

Canon 7D, 40D,100-400 IS L, EFS 15-85 IS, EFS 10-22-With Faulty USM, 055XPROB+488RC2, 430 & 580 II Flash, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8-:cool:
Photos (external link)

jm4ever
846 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2008 07:25 |  #9

Just checked mine. Both rings seem to move together but it really doesn't seem to affect manual focusing.

Robf
385 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 19, 2008 07:29 |  #10

same here.

Robf
385 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 19, 2008 07:29 |  #11

you sure your not getting them the wrong way around?

John_B
Cream of the Crop
7,115 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 19, 2008 08:00 |  #12

Stickman,
It works like that on mine.
The reason I guess why you don't hear about it so much is because those using manual focus (like me) don't have the lens tension ring locked up because there holding it in there hand. ;) Also the focus range isn't enough to truly lock it so it doesn't get in the way (for me). With my lens, even with the tension ring locked the focus ring still turns to focus and going from up close to infinity does not release the tension set on the lens.

So manual focus is usable and possible when lens is locked with tension ring.

Sony A6500, A6000, Apeman A80, & a bunch of Lenses.............  (external link)
click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

Stickman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 19, 2008 09:29 |  #13

jm4ever wrote in post #6521821 (external link)
Just checked mine. Both rings seem to move together but it really doesn't seem to affect manual focusing.

Thankyou for checking, it looks like mine has an issue in that case. Is your manual focus smooth, or does it take 4 or 5+ times the effort of other L lenses?

Stick

Fedxpress
649 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 19, 2008 09:30 |  #14

Just checked mine. The tension ring only effects the zoom slide not the focus ring. It focuses the same tight or not.
Fedxpress

1D Mark III, XTi, 16-35 f2.8L ,24-105 F4.0Lis, 28-135 3.5 is, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8IIL is,100-400, Kenko Pro300, 430EXII

Stickman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 19, 2008 09:31 |  #15

Robf wrote in post #6521837 (external link)
you sure your not getting them the wrong way around?

It would be pretty difficult to get the two rings confused, and the adjustment appears pretty straight forward with the zoom, manual focus, and tension ring. :D

Stick

sponsored links

2,313 views & 0 likes for this thread
100-400L lens problem and question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.