Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Oct 2008 (Sunday) 09:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Domke F-3x

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by Jim G. (2 edits in all)

Oct 19, 2008 09:53 |  #1

Updated nine years after the original posting and moved here:

https://motofaction.or​g …lens-shoulder-bag-review/ (external link)

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

sponsored links
Jim ­ G
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by Jim G.

Oct 19, 2008 09:54 |  #2

Updated and moved here:

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

Jim ­ G
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 19, 2008 09:55 |  #3

Updated and moved here:

Jim ­ G
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 19, 2008 09:55 |  #4

Updated and moved here:

Pinto
Goldmember
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 19, 2008 15:24 |  #5

Very thorough review. Well done, thanks.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 19, 2008 15:29 |  #6

Yep. It's an ideal bag for a body and a couple of lenses + flash.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ANGUS
Cream of the Crop
6,897 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 19, 2008 16:03 |  #7

Great review! I can get a 70-200 f2.8 IS L to fit easily it gives about 2cm of room above it in the bag but no hood, i use a generic metal hood which i prefer anyway. Ill take a photo with it in to post up here if you want?

Angus
| 1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 5D MkII | 15FE | 16-35 f2.8 L | 24-70 f2.8 L | 70-200 f2.8 IS L II | 35 f1.4 L | 135 f2 L | 300 f2.8 IS L | 580 EX II | 580 EX II |

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 19, 2008 16:14 |  #8

OBTW -
F-3X with 5D/100-400 (hood reversed):

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

One of the end pockets has a 580EX in it. The other bag's an F-2 with 20D and 70-200 2.8 IS in it(which fits just as well in the F3x as the 100-400 combo).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

NorCalAl
966 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 19, 2008 19:28 |  #9

Absolutely great review. Kinda wish I'd seen this prior to my recent Crumpler 6mdh purchase....but nothing says I can't get this, too! I wish there were more reviews like this one.

Gear List

Nikon, the dark adventure begins...

DMOEsq
55 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 19, 2008 21:16 |  #10

Great review. I have had this bag (in olive green) for several months. I love it. It looks small and, as you have shown, carries a ton of equipment. It is the clown car of camera bags!

--
“I’ve got a fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell (external link)!!!”
Bruce Dickenson

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 19, 2008 21:25 |  #11

nice review - you've made me want one of these! oh no...

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 19, 2008 23:23 |  #12

The F-3x really does hold an amazing amount of stuff for such a small bag. I can put so much into mine that I don't want to carry it for a long day out on the streets. It is great though as it is easy to get things in and out of if I pack it less than full to the seams.

I have left it at home for my current trip and have been using an F-5XC (a new bag I wanted to break in) which is a real nice alternative/companion bag that is a bit slimmer but would not be so good for a series 1 body or a gripped 5D (I don't know about the other bodies). It has a small amount of padding which is concern to some but I tend to not smash my bag around too much anyhow. The F3 is great to carry just a wee bit more than the 5XC

Jim ­ G
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 20, 2008 08:40 as a reply to  @ Quad's post |  #13

Thanks all - hope this helps people choose the bag that suits their needs. I can't recommend Domkes enough for what they are.

NSWESP wrote in post #6523971 (external link)
Great review! I can get a 70-200 f2.8 IS L to fit easily it gives about 2cm of room above it in the bag but no hood, i use a generic metal hood which i prefer anyway. Ill take a photo with it in to post up here if you want?

Post away, I'll make a note in the original few posts if there's some useful pics down the thread!

NorCalAl wrote in post #6524990 (external link)
Absolutely great review. Kinda wish I'd seen this prior to my recent Crumpler 6mdh purchase....but nothing says I can't get this, too! I wish there were more reviews like this one.

I've come to realise that there is no perfect one-bag solution; you can't have something for every situation in one bag. I have a Boda bag for formal stuff and for shooting out of when all I need is a lens bag for all day, I have this bag for a drag-around-everywhere, gig and travel bag and a backpack for when I'm riding or hiking places. I'm now looking for a F1 or similar to act as a "take everything to a job" bag as I'm sick of carting around several smaller bags of camera gear...

xr_oc_kx
99 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 20, 2008 14:35 |  #14

I'm so getting one of these =) Which color would you suggest? I'm an Asian btw :D

40D, XTi, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/4L, 50mm f/1.4, 430EX, stuff

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 20, 2008 15:33 |  #15

What color do you want? Except for my F-1x and one of the F-2s, mine are all in Sand.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

sponsored links

141,258 views & 0 likes for this thread
Review: Domke F-3x
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.