Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 22 Oct 2008 (Wednesday) 20:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Panning Question

mep42
519 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 22, 2008 20:50 |  #1

I always read about panning on the forum and I am wondering what is the key to getting good panning shots. I get the feeling that it really is a tough skill, am I wrong? Any thoughts?

Looking for 60d, PM with what you have!

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 23, 2008 08:41 |  #2

Not desperately difficult. It takes practice, the right situation, a smooth hand and some luck -- just like the rest of photography. :)

Basic idea: find something moving at a smooth and steady pace, like a runner, a bicyclist or a race car through a corner. Choose a moderately slow shutter speed like 1/100-1/200. Pan with the target with the center focusing point on the center of the target. If you get it right, you'll have a clean image of the target and the rest of the image will be blurred, giving the impression of motion in the frame.

A very few fortunate and skilled people can do this with one shot. The rest of us cheat, put the camera in its continuous shooting mode, fire several frames as we pan with the target, and find the image that works the best. Fortunately, using several frames from a DSLR is a lot less expensive then getting film developed, so we can "waste" frames. :)

The slower the target's relative motion to your camera, the easier it can be to get a convincing panning shot. Using this technique. a 5 mph tractor can be made to look faster than a 200 mph race car. Another trick is that the motion blur works best with a busy background.

Just try it a few times, see which shutter speed works best for you, and keep practicing to refine the technique.

Adding an example of how it can work with an unlimited hydroplane at 1/60:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Anto ­ Modded
419 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 24, 2008 12:21 |  #3

i was told to work from 250 down as i progress, and was shown how to stand. Works quite well. Have gotten some nice shots but ive a long way to go before my results are constant.

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 24, 2008 12:56 |  #4

http://www.johnthawley​.com …-shot-taking-control.html (external link)

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

andrewmr
181 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 29, 2008 16:31 |  #5

mep42 wrote in post #6544514 (external link)
I always read about panning on the forum and I am wondering what is the key to getting good panning shots. I get the feeling that it really is a tough skill, am I wrong? Any thoughts?

The key is being able to follow the subject without changing the postion in the viewfinder.

You have received a few good replies and let me try to add a few comments. But first I must admit that I too am learning this.

The trick, in my opinion, is to start with a faster shutter speed and work lower as you get more and more experience and are happy with your keeper rate.

You'll need to factor into the equation how fast the subject is moving as a car in a turn at 60 miles per hour will require a slower shuuter speed than a car at the end of the straght.

Another consideration is the focal length of the lens you are using. Don't forget the crop factor.

I'm using a shutter speeds somewhere in the 1/200 range. Once I get comfortable with that I'll try my hand at something slower and one day I'll be able to get shots like DCfan did of the unlimited hydroplane.

And I'm told IS (Setting two) helps.

Here's a shot from the other day:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i65.photobucket​.com …h224/andrewmr/K​enny-2.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

There's enough blur of the background to show motion as well as the blur of the wheels. I would like the writting on the car to be a little sharper....

Mike Andrews

Moppie
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 29, 2008 17:04 |  #6

andrewmr wrote in post #6586181 (external link)
The key is being able to follow the subject without changing the postion in the viewfinder.

Remember that this often involves more than just good panning technique.
Cars are able to move up and down as well as they move over bumps in the track, and are effected by weight transfer wheen acclerating and braking.

So you could have perfected your panning technique, but find the car is not sharp because it moved upwards over a bump, or the front moved downwards as the drvier began braking for a corner.

Having an understanding of vechile dynamics, and the track you are shooting on can be just as important as good technique.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 29, 2008 17:28 |  #7

It is also worth have a ND filter or two. On a really bright day as you cannot get slow enough shutter speed to get enough blur. A polariser will also help to reduce the shutter speed a notch.

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

thumper ­ 8
610 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 29, 2008 23:29 as a reply to  @ adrian5127's post |  #8

I find that focusing on one part of the bike or rider helps when panning motorcycles... for example in this shot (at 1/100) I probably focused on the rider's left shoulder (the Teknic logo), and stayed with it while panning. I will often use a patch or logo on the leathers or bike to help keep the camera in time with the bike.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i251.photobucke​t.com …photo/August4th​1965-2.jpg (external link)
]

aka Tony

Too much expensive stuff to fit in my cheap camera bag.

www.thumphoto.com (external link) & my flickr (external link) - follow on twitter (external link) & connect on facebook (external link)

Moppie
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 29, 2008 23:43 |  #9

adrian5127 wrote in post #6586473 (external link)
A polariser will also help to reduce the shutter speed a notch.

Be aware that this can cause problems with the plastic windows used in a lot of race cars. It often produces a rainbow effect, or other optical aberrations.

Usually the best way to get a slow shutter speed is to just stop down.
Don't be afraid to go down to F16 if you have to. The increased DOF will be helpful, and since your motion blurring the background you don't have to worry about it being in focus.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

PhotosGuy
75,921 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 30, 2008 09:28 |  #10

The trick, in my opinion, is to start with a faster shutter speed and work lower as you get more and more experience and are happy with your keeper rate.

Don't feel bad when you have to throw some away. I do too. ;)

There are some good links in this:
First shoot with moving cars need advice.

Panning Success Rate

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Revhard191
92 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 02, 2008 11:47 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #11

When Panning, what settings are you using? I have started out in TV mode and then dropping down from 1/250 down to 1/60 if I am getting good shots and smooth panning. I have switched from Evaluative Metering, Partial Metering or Center-weighted average metering? I am not sure which to use and I have lost my manual so I am not able to read which is better. I am using a Canon XTi (Hope to sell and get the 40D or new 50D, just saw them last night now I want either one of them. :))

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I will also be searching, and many say, "Search is your friend" hahaha

Cheers,

Angel M.

Canon 1D Mark IIn | Xti (400D) Gripped | Canon 70-200mm F4 "L" Non-IS | Nifty-Fifty 1.8 | Lens Baby | Canon 580EX ii | Wish list: Canon 300mm 2.8 IS | My Other Hobby: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=hag1FsXmq10 (external link)

birdie3
58 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 03, 2008 15:20 |  #12

loved first pic of powerboat, great stuff

Canon 40D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm,

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 03, 2008 15:25 |  #13

Revhard191 wrote in post #6608913 (external link)
When Panning, what settings are you using?

Shutter priority and evaluative metering.

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 04, 2008 12:15 |  #14

Revhard191 wrote in post #6608913 (external link)
When Panning, what settings are you using?

Manual and Sunny 16 Rule. :rolleyes: (Assuming its a sunny day and the subject isn't backlit.)

At ISO 100, your shutter speed is 1/100 at f/16. Sometimes I'll stop down to f/22 and 1/50. If I'm feeling like I'm dead on with my panning, I'll shot f/32 and 1/25. If your lens doesn't have f/32, you'll need a ND filter to slow down the shutter speed.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

Tbirder
307 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 09, 2008 23:13 |  #15

Hi
My panning's a bit old school, dating back to a manual film SLR.
I pre-focus on a spot on the road that I know the vehicle will pass over, leave the camera on maunual focus, and make a mental note of some object in the foreground/background.​I follow the car through the viewfinder and when it's lined up with the object in the background/foreground I used as a reference (road marker, line on the road or whatever) I take the pic.
Most of my stuff's at low road speed so I shoot shutter priority, evaluative, at 1/60, 1/30 at dusk if I'm brave and 1/20 under street lights if I deliberately want the subject and background blurred for a particular effect.
I find it harder to get a result with a vehicle moving at low speed because the shutter speed needs to be that much slower to get good motion blur, and there's a risk of panning too quick, and accidental vertical movement. At high speed a faster shutter speed can still produce good blur, with less risk of 'operator error'.
The T-bucket was taken with my good old D60, 1/60, can't recall the exposure. The night shot was, I think, around 1/20. the door's sharp but that's about it.
Swivel at the hips, follow through, and experiment - go and stand alongside a busy country road and bang off bulk shots at various shutter speeds, you'll soon get the hang of it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List

sponsored links

5,882 views & 0 likes for this thread
Panning Question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.