Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Oct 2008 (Friday) 10:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The best PP softwares??

asty80
584 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 24, 2008 10:53 |  #1

Which are the better PP softwares? I am a newbie to this field (exp of about 6 months) and haven't really used any photoshop software. I have tried the canon supplied DPP program and nothing else.

Looking at all the discussions in the forum, looks like I'm lagging big time!
Which would be a good software to buy? And how much would it cost (approx)in USD? Also, do any softwares have free upgrades? or do they become extinct once a new version arrives?

thanks!

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,304 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 24, 2008 11:00 |  #2

All depends on what you’re looking to do and how deeply into image editing you want to get. My tool of choice is Photoshop CS3. It is powerful, capable of way more than I know how to use and rather expensive. Adobe does make a scaled down version for much less called Photoshop Elements. It gives much of the capability of PSCS3 at a fraction of the cost. Then you got Paint Shop pro, Digital Image Suite, PhotoLab, GIMP, IrfanView, and many others.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

EOS_JD
Goldmember
2,925 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 24, 2008 11:04 |  #3

asty80 wrote in post #6553045 (external link)
Which are the better PP softwares? I am a newbie to this field (exp of about 6 months) and haven't really used any photoshop software. I have tried the canon supplied DPP program and nothing else.

Looking at all the discussions in the forum, looks like I'm lagging big time!
Which would be a good software to buy? And how much would it cost (approx)in USD? Also, do any softwares have free upgrades? or do they become extinct once a new version arrives?

thanks!

The ultimate in post processing software is Adobe Photoshop CS4. You may be able to buy an older version slightly cheaper as it is an expensive item.

Adobe Lightroom is also a great program for editing RAW images and organising your image library. I use this more than photoshop!

Adobe Photoshop lements is pretty useful software for beginners. Cheaper (not sure the $ price) and has many of the features of its big brother.

Paintshop Pro Photo X2 is also pretty useful but I'd try and stick to the Adobe software if you can.

Software updates are generally available for free until the next version comes out. i.e. Lightroom 2 is out and a neew upgrade to 2.1 has been issued free. However when Lightroom 3 eventually appears, it will cost to upgrade (although usually it's a discounted price).

Hope that helps.

All My Gear
5D MkIII & 5D MKII + Grips | 24-70 f2.8L IS | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 24, 2008 12:31 |  #4

For a newbie, I suggest sticking with DPP for RAW and Photoshop Elements for pixel-level editing for awhile. In fact, as mentioned above there is Gimp for pixel-edits, which I also like (and its free.)

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

759 views & 0 likes for this thread
The best PP softwares??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.