Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Oct 2008 (Saturday) 08:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rant: New G10 with dust on the sensor

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 25, 2008 08:09 |  #1

I received my brand new G10 yesterday, took it our for some shots and, after down loading the pictures onto my PC discovered a big nasty dust spot in the sky. I then took a controlled picture at f/8 of the blue sky and yes, there it was again. I had the exact same problem with my G7 years ago. I had to send it to Canon to get it cleaned - I guess the G10 will take the same journey. Too bad Canon does not assemble these great cameras in a clean room - at least the sensor part should be handled in such a clean environment. Other than that, I love the camera and the wider lens is very much appreciated.

Have a great weekend everyone!

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,532 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 25, 2008 21:38 |  #2

I think I would be marching it back to point of purchase and demanding a new one, especially after only one day!

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

KarlMarsh
Living in a Marshist regime
426 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2008 09:49 as a reply to  @ BobsYourUncle's post |  #3

Thats really too bad. That was why I got rid of my G9 because the warranty was up and it had already been in twice for cleaning and the next time was going to be on my dime. My G7 also had to go in twice for cleaning.

Canon needs to look at their lens design because as it closes it sucks in dust that can get down to the sensor. They obviously know about this issue because they clean thousands of cameras under warranty. Yet they still do not do anything about it.vmad

I was waiting to see dpreview's full test on the G10 before I made up my mind, but now my mind is made up. No G10 for me.

I will be getting the new Panasonic G1 for a compact camera. That way at least I can remove the lens and clean the sensor myself. I'm still going to keep all my Cannon D/SLR gear but just use the G1 for the times I need a quiet compact.

Karl
Gear List
Gallery (external link) Smugmug
Gallery (external link) Flickr

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,862 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rant: New G10 with dust on the sensor
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.