Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Oct 2008 (Monday) 13:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Skin tones "by the numbers" but I need numbers!

klynam
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 27, 2008 13:58 |  #1

Just as I learned to use the histogram to accurately judge exposure instand of the image preview, I'm beginning to explore skin tones "by the numbers" rather than solely trusting my visual perception through capture > post > printing.

Does anyone have or know of a reference with specific (RGB,LAB,CMYK) equivelancy values for ALL skin tones?

Ok - yes I realize there are as many skin tones as their are people. But surely someone somewhere has a range of 10-20 general skin tones with (RGB,LAB,CMYK) numeric targets. I found some for caucasion but that's it so far.

Thank you,

Canon Cameras & Lenses | Masterworks Photography (external link) | God is Light
"Until you can do better, copy." Tony Gresham

wem
783 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 27, 2008 14:39 |  #2

I use, for RGB, the following:

213, 172, 129.

That's all I use. I am interested in other numbers as well.

-
My gear list
My flickr (external link) page
wimvangestel.com (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 27, 2008 14:46 |  #3

I can't remember where I got this but it might be what you are looking for. The original file is quite large and this is about as good as it gets for an attachment here.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Redfish
784 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 27, 2008 15:09 |  #4

Are you kidding????? What is the skin tone for the palm of your hand? now what is it for the back of your hand...in the summer....in the winter?????

Shoot a custom white balance and you will not have to worry about a RGB number, but will have the actual skin tone - correct for the light that is being reflected from it.

Steve

Canon 1DXIII (2) Eos R 5R on the way 15-600 /1.2 - 5.6
6000ex's Bee's and boxes & PW's
RRS tripods and heads

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 27, 2008 16:49 |  #5

Redfish wrote in post #6570986 (external link)
Are you kidding????? What is the skin tone for the palm of your hand? now what is it for the back of your hand...in the summer....in the winter?????

Shoot a custom white balance and you will not have to worry about a RGB number, but will have the actual skin tone - correct for the light that is being reflected from it.

Steve

What issue is it that you have with this thread, the OP asked for something that showed skin tone color numbers, which I posted. I thought it was a pretty straight forward question with no picture posted to draw the "shoot a custom white balance".

Certainly there are literally many more skin tones than on my post but it was a direct response to the OP's question.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

PamR
114 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 27, 2008 17:53 |  #6

Skin tones "by the numbers" and a curves guide...

@ ssim:
That's Bruce Beard's Skintones Color chart. He also has one for hair color. It's a great "retoucher's" resource. And one can NEVER have too much information and resources. Thanks for posting that one :D

klynam wrote in post #6570567 (external link)
Just as I learned to use the histogram to accurately judge exposure instand of the image preview, I'm beginning to explore skin tones "by the numbers" rather than solely trusting my visual perception through capture > post > printing.

Does anyone have or know of a reference with specific (RGB,LAB,CMYK) equivelancy values for ALL skin tones?
Thank you,

Skin tones "by the numbers" for me, doesn't mean exact numbers. The range is far too wide. Bruce Beard's chart is a good reference for hand-coloring images and traditional retouching. But Dan Margulis, before he wrote the LAB technique so many use to punch up colors, wrote a great book on color correction by-the-numbers, "Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction" that has some general guidelines on skin color.

You'll also find his numbers used on SmugMug's guide to skin color. (external link)

Here's a quick and dirty guide to color correction, Margulis style, that may help. This is a general guide covering a range of skin tones. Treat them as ratios, not numbers carved in stone.:

For Caucasian skin:
- yellow should be equal to or up to + 1/3 of the magenta - cyan should be 1/5 to 1/3 less than magenta (the more bronzed the skin, the higher the cyan percentage)

Hispanic and Asian:
- yellow is higher than magenta
- cyan is 1/4 magenta up to +1/3 magenta

African-American:
A wide range. Lighter skin tones are similar to Hispanic/Asian. For darker skin tones, yellow and magenta can be equal. Cyan, there is no limit.

How to Measure Skin Color

These numbers are measured using the color sampler tool, which is found grouped with the eyedropper in the tools palette. Make sure the "Sample size" on the options bar is set to a number appropriate to the image resolution. Try 5x5 to start. Click on the image to set the samplers on areas of the face which are typical skin colors on evenly lit areas of the face, not in highlights or shadow.

Then open the info palette (Window>Info). You'll find your sampler numbers listed at the bottom, #1-4. Next to each set is an eyedropper. Click on the very small arrowhead to open up the menu and choose "CMYK". You don't have to convert your image to CMYK, these numbers just make the adjustments easier.

Adjusting Skin Color Using Curves

To adjust your colors, open up a curves adjustment layer and pull down the appropriate channel:
Red channel for cyan changes.
Green channel for magenta changes.
Blue channel for yellow changes.

Say you have too much yellow. To lower the yellow number, choose the blue channel from the drop down channel menu. Ctrl+click on the sampler. This will place a point on the curve. This point is what will be adjusted to change the yellow number in the info box. Basically, move that point to the right and you'll add yellow. Move it to the left and you'll add blue.

Here's a visual of the colors each channel is responsible for when working in RGB. Look outside the curves dialog box and notice the color changes on the image of the patio stones when the curve is moved (I've masked the image on the diagonal along the curves dialog box.

Remember that pulling the curve in one direction (adding more of that color) is the equivalent of subtracting the color opposite.

Red channel controls Red and Cyan:

IMAGE: http://upload.pbase.com/pam_r/image/93734948.jpg

Green channel controls Green and Magenta:

IMAGE: http://upload.pbase.com/pam_r/image/93734950.jpg

Blue channel controls Blue and Yellow:

IMAGE: http://upload.pbase.com/pam_r/image/93734949.jpg

Pam
http://www.pbase.com/p​am_r (external link)

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,900 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 27, 2008 18:26 |  #7

ssim wrote in post #6570863 (external link)
I can't remember where I got this but it might be what you are looking for. The original file is quite large and this is about as good as it gets for an attachment here.

If that was saved as a .gif, you woulda been able to get a larger image.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

PamR
114 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 27, 2008 18:41 as a reply to  @ ssim's post |  #8

Here are the color charts (credit to Bruce Beard for both)...

You can also download the colors as Photoshop swatches (.aco) files here, so you can easily sample the colors:

http://www.photoshopcr​eativity.com …n_Hair_Color_sw​atches.zip (external link)

To use the swatches, open Window>Swatches in PS, then "Load swatches", and navigate to the files:

IMAGE: http://upload.pbase.com/image/105149285/original.jpg

The Skin Color chart:

IMAGE: http://upload.pbase.com/image/105147199/original.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.retouchpro.​com/pages/skintones.jp​g  (external link)

And the Hair Color chart:

IMAGE: http://upload.pbase.com/image/105147197/original.jpg

Pam
http://www.pbase.com/p​am_r (external link)

blssdwlf
543 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 27, 2008 19:00 |  #9

Thank you PamR :)

Regards,
Peter
--= gear: 400D / 17-50 / 55-250 / nifty-50 / flash / etc =--

klynam
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 28, 2008 10:37 |  #10

My thanks to everyone, this is exactly what I was hoping for...

klynam
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 28, 2008 15:31 |  #11

In my continuing research, I just found that PS Elements has (or did have) a Skin Tone Adjustment slider. Interesting...

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

104,155 views & 0 likes for this thread, 7 members have posted to it.
Skin tones "by the numbers" but I need numbers!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.