Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Oct 2008 (Monday) 21:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just won a G9 on EvilBay

Medic85
I just quoted Forrest Gump!
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 27, 2008 21:00 |  #1

I'm actually a little excited. I just won this on EvilBay and I can't wait to use it. I'm excited about having a small, compact camera that shoots raw images and I can take this thing with me pretty much anywhere. It'll probably live in my truck as opposed to the camera bag. I can't buying a G10 when you can find these for at least $100 less.

sponsored links
Michael ­ Wells
932 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 27, 2008 21:15 |  #2

If it's going to live in your truck, you might still want to invest in a small case for it, as some have had issues with dust getting drawn into the lens, presumably due to the lower pressure created by the lens moving in and out. I've never had a problem, but mine is always in a case when it's not being used, and stays pretty clean. Just a thought! BTW, Congrats...it's a great camera...you'll love it!:D

Mike

Michael Wells
G9, 5D,Grip,70-200 2.8 IS,24-70,400 5.6

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 27, 2008 23:32 |  #3

Yeah, I've got to get a good case for it.

Anyone have any suggestions on a rugged case?

ione
358 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 28, 2008 00:33 |  #4

I think it's funny how you name EvilBay, I share the sentiment.

I don't know if you are aware they have Cash Credit and can get up to 25% dicount if you use PayPal evil....

Mike16610
259 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 28, 2008 03:36 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Congrats Chris, Great little camera.

lkb-28
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 28, 2008 05:43 |  #6

Hi Chris;

Well done on your buy... provided the seller has been honest about its condition you will find the G9 to be a GREAT handy-dandy unit...

With respect, I think you do eBay a dis-service! eBay works great! I have bought & sold a large number of items on eBay... The caveat is always "buyer beware". Check-out the ad thoroughly, and make sure you read what's "not" there! If it's too good to be true - it normally is!

Anyhow - case - the Canon case for the G9 is pretty-good and not a bad price, but you can also get a generic Lowepro case  (external link) [click on link] which is probably a little more flexible...

Cheers;

Lee

Comments & Criticisms ALWAYS welcome...:D
Still a rank amateur - but learning day by day...:D

Equipment

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 28, 2008 07:43 as a reply to  @ lkb-28's post |  #7

I've been using a $10 bag from Radio Shack for mine, and it works just fine. It's an icon PRCS111, and here's alink (external link) to it on their website.

Dennis

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 28, 2008 08:39 |  #8

lkb-28 wrote in post #6575421 (external link)
Hi Chris;

Well done on your buy... provided the seller has been honest about its condition you will find the G9 to be a GREAT handy-dandy unit...

With respect, I think you do eBay a dis-service! eBay works great! I have bought & sold a large number of items on eBay... The caveat is always "buyer beware". Check-out the ad thoroughly, and make sure you read what's "not" there! If it's too good to be true - it normally is!

Anyhow - case - the Canon case for the G9 is pretty-good and not a bad price, but you can also get a generic Lowepro case  (external link) [click on link] which is probably a little more flexible...

Cheers;

Lee

I'm well aware of the buyer beware thing with Ebay. My issue is with the way they work with Paypal and screw over the sellers. I've sold some high dollar items on there recently and they place a hold on the money for ridiculous amounts of time. I follow the rules to get the funds released and they still tell me I have to wait longer. It's a scam and they keep telling me it's to protect the buyer. What a crock! I have 100% positive feedback and they still do this crap to the honest sellers.

I have every right to be frustrated with the two organizations. Give it a try yourself and see what I am talking about. I don't take offense to your post at all. I'm just explaining my reasons for why I have an extreme distaste for the organization, as a seller. I've got no problems buying items from other members/stores on there. They make it difficult for those of us who do honest business just because of other individuals who have screwed others over in the past.

Ok, I'm off of my soap box now.

Anyone else need it?:)

jms_uk
414 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2008 08:55 |  #9

Medic85 wrote in post #6576042 (external link)
they place a hold on the money for ridiculous amounts of time. I follow the rules to get the funds released and they still tell me I have to wait longer. It's a scam and they keep telling me it's to protect the buyer. What a crock! I have 100% positive feedback and they still do this crap to the honest sellers.

I had this happening recently as well - it took 7 days and at least 7 calls to get the funds released after buyer left the positive feedback.

Apparently, it was some glitch in the system and was happening across the board.

Canon EOS 6D / EF 24-105L f4 IS II / EF 50 f1.4 / EF 70-200L f2.8 /  / Flickr (external link)

ione
358 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 28, 2008 13:03 as a reply to  @ jms_uk's post |  #10

I like to use a very non assuming bag..... less attention since I travel abroad frequently.

I bought my from Big Five Sporting Goods yeah of all places. It's a black soft waterproof material only $6

alexanderGARDNER
Goldmember
3,540 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 28, 2008 16:15 |  #11

Medic85 wrote in post #6576042 (external link)
I'm well aware of the buyer beware thing with Ebay. My issue is with the way they work with Paypal and screw over the sellers. I've sold some high dollar items on there recently and they place a hold on the money for ridiculous amounts of time. I follow the rules to get the funds released and they still tell me I have to wait longer. It's a scam and they keep telling me it's to protect the buyer. What a crock! I have 100% positive feedback and they still do this crap to the honest sellers.

I have every right to be frustrated with the two organizations. Give it a try yourself and see what I am talking about. I don't take offense to your post at all. I'm just explaining my reasons for why I have an extreme distaste for the organization, as a seller. I've got no problems buying items from other members/stores on there. They make it difficult for those of us who do honest business just because of other individuals who have screwed others over in the past.

Ok, I'm off of my soap box now.

Anyone else need it?:)

What's a 'ridiculous' amount of time?

ALEXANDER GARDNER
PHOTOGRAPHER - MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

alexanderGARDNER Blog! (external link)
alexanderGARDNER Photography FB Fanpage (external link)

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 28, 2008 16:16 |  #12

3 days if I provide proof of delivery.

21 days if I do nothing and he/she does nothing.

ione
358 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 28, 2008 17:38 |  #13

Believe me I'm on your side. They have a Monopoly, I know there are some that are going to come to their defense, it's a free country.

But get this, I have used them several times, they sent me a discount coupon, upon checking out they wouldn't validate my code or my email, they refuse because they said I had to validate my email. I don't recall getting. I sent email, I even called is like talking to robots.....They refused to send another email in order to verify.

I contacted EvilBay same tone.... in other words bait n switch. I ended up paying w/o the discount. I blocked their email address, but they are still getting trough, get this they now sent me an email CONGRATULATIONS thank you for joining us?

The cash credit that I told you about..... they hold it for 60 days. So as a seller if you sneeze too loud that is a penalty they will hold and take % of your the sales proceed.

They lick their own tail. I sent an email to the comm. and it was removed , they don't condone negative feedback, Gestapo if you ask me....

So now I'm looking for merchants that are well established and bypassing Evilbay and Paypal.... like B n H yes I'll be paying more buy what a delight

ione
358 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 28, 2008 17:39 |  #14

Off my soap box,, wow I feel 30# lighther I need a smoke now

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 29, 2008 10:14 |  #15

That last one got a chuckle out of me. Nice rant!

sponsored links

2,988 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just won a G9 on EvilBay
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.