Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Oct 2008 (Wednesday) 20:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are your ACR default settings?

blssdwlf
543 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 29, 2008 20:29 |  #1

Say, to folks who use ACR/Bridge CS3 for your RAWs, what are your default slider settings?

Do you leave them at the default Brightness 50, Contrast 25, Blacks 5 or do you zero them out and then adjust the Exposure, Blacks, Brightness and Contrast to taste?

I've noticed that ACR set to 50/25/5 seems to be about the same as Canon's DPP with Exposure set to 0. ACR set to all zeros look to be underexposed.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://www.chung.cc …P-Exposure-Comparison.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

Regards,
Peter
--= gear: 400D / 17-50 / 55-250 / nifty-50 / flash / etc =--

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 29, 2008 20:54 |  #2

I use the defaults, but I bump the contrast from 25 to 35. After color correction I often increase the vibrance, but I do that last as if you do it before color correction it messes things up.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

neumanns
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 29, 2008 20:54 |  #3

Absolutly to taste...Using default kinda defeats the purpose of Raw/ACR.

7D, Sigma 8-16, 17-55, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580ExII, ........Searching for Talent & Skill; Will settle for Blind Luck!

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 29, 2008 21:14 |  #4

My defaults are set to 0. I have made several presets for different ACR tabs that I use depending, such as 1 preset for portrait sharpening and 1 for landscape.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,042 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 29, 2008 21:16 |  #5

Default set to all zeros....

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 30, 2008 00:48 |  #6

I leave them as they come by default, but adjust them to taste... very rarely have I come upon a RAW file that didn't benefit from SOME adjustment... I suppose if I saw I was consistently changing a setting to another value I'd definitely set it as a new default for my camera.

Also, I'm using the ACR beta profiles and have one of them set as my camera default.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 30, 2008 01:14 |  #7

Never use them. I guess if you are shooting in controlled lighting set up it may work, but if the lighting and the exposure changes, even with the defaults, I think you would have to adjust those things anyway.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 30, 2008 02:05 |  #8

neumanns wrote in post #6587773 (external link)
Absolutly to taste...Using default kinda defeats the purpose of Raw/ACR.

Using the defaults is like telling to show how a camera would do a basic JPG, it's a good starting point. I see nothing to gain from zeroing it out, you're going to have to adjust every single image that way. The defaults are good enough for many images.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

neumanns
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 30, 2008 06:47 |  #9

Maybe I misunderstood the question, I leave them on default when opening the image in ACR. But rarely are they still on default when I hit open image. I would like to claim I always get them perfect in camera...I don't. But In retrospect I usally don't change the three sliders mentioned unless I feel the image neeeds it. But I do go to the curves tab and adjust there wich is essentially the same thing just more controlled.

In the image above I would adjust the exposure+ blackpoint+ and then give it more contrast not with the sliders but in the next tab by adjusting the curve, But it's still contrast just targeted.

7D, Sigma 8-16, 17-55, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580ExII, ........Searching for Talent & Skill; Will settle for Blind Luck!

Peano
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 30, 2008 07:21 |  #10

I zero out the sharpening defaults but leave the rest as they are. They don't really matter, because with all the new camera profiles in 4.6, default settings will be blown away.

My first stop is with the camera profiles. I choose the one that has the best effect toward whatever I'm after, and then go back to the basic panel and begin making adjustments there.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 30, 2008 07:24 |  #11

Since I am going to change them anyway, I leave ACR at it's default setting. The first thing I do is use the Adobe Nuetral Profile. I then check/adjust color temp if I used a flash, bounced, indoors. I may hit Auto... sometimes it doesn't work well. If the results are decent, I leave it on Auto.

I'll set black point, white point clipping level, Recover, if needed, Fill Light, if needed, and that's about it.

If the image looks soft (maybe I misfocused slightly), I set Sharpening Amount=80, Radius 0. If it sharpens real well, I put the sliders to 0 and Open the image in PS.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Riff ­ Raff
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 30, 2008 11:10 |  #12

blssdwlf wrote in post #6587609 (external link)
Do you leave them at the default Brightness 50, Contrast 25, Blacks 5

Yes, that. For flash photos, I'll immediately bump the Contrast to 35 (and sometimes higher). I also use a default +20 Clarity, and for my indoor theatre performance photos I use +40 Vibrance by default (which tends to look really good with the costuming). Additionally, I'm using the "Adobe Standard" beta profile for everything.

Shawn McHorse - Shawn.McHorse.com (external link) / AustinRocky.org (external link)
DSLR: 5D Mark III Compact: S100 Flash: 580EX II Bag: Tamrac Rally 5
Lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS,
50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8

BigDaveE
218 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 30, 2008 11:32 |  #13

bohdank wrote in post #6590111 (external link)
Since I am going to change them anyway, I leave ACR at it's default setting. The first thing I do is use the Adobe Nuetral Profile.

My process is very similar to some of the posts here...

I too find that I end up using Adobe Neutral Profile most of the time now...

I also find that I end up boosting contrast to 34 or 35 most of the time...

So I set those two as my defaults.

Other than that I manually play around with the other settings per picture. I boost the Clarity and vibrance sliders a little on almost all pics - I think they both make the images 'pop'. But clarity can hurt on portraits (makes the wrinkles and stuff much more apparant) so I don't use it much on those... For non-portraits it's great!

blssdwlf
THREAD ­ STARTER
543 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 30, 2008 13:39 |  #14

Thanks for all the responses.

I've been using the new profiles Beta1, Camera Standard and Camera Faithful and find them to match up to DPP very well (enough to return ACR into my workflow).

It seems that ACR Brightness +50 is the same as DPP Brightness 0.

If I mix and match ACR Exposure (white point) and ACR Brightness (mid) I can get almost the same exposure as DPP Brightness 0. ACR Exposure 1 stop = 50 points ACR Brightness. So ACR Exp +0.5, Brightness +25 looks to be about the same as ACR Exp +1, Brightness 0 or ACR Exp 0, Brightness +50. The variations just appear to be where the white point is clipping as the overall histogram between the mixtures looks very close.

I think I will leave it at zero/zero/zero as a starting point and adjust to taste because by adjusting the white point first, it seems to alter where I'd put the brightness setting anyway. One thing I'll see if I can post up when I have a moment is whether going a particular direction might incur more noise. A minor thing would have been nice if ACR's Brightness was calibrated to "50" and started at zero :D

Regards,
Peter
--= gear: 400D / 17-50 / 55-250 / nifty-50 / flash / etc =--

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 30, 2008 15:19 |  #15

My LR starting point:

"Camera Neutral"
Sharpening varies.
NR: 0/3
Vignetting: -10/20

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20081030-dxbyw78wbdp4ku8reeny5skq9x.jpg

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

5,537 views & 0 likes for this thread
What are your ACR default settings?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.