Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Oct 2008 (Thursday) 08:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Removing color cast artifacts after green screen extraction.

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 30, 2008 08:19 |  #1

If you look closely at this image, I have a color cast on the lower legs that I need to address. It's a reflection off of a green screen. Any thoughts on the best way to selectively remove the color cast artifacts from a green screen?

And I do realize if I had more fill, I could have avoided this, but now that I have it, what should I do?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

sponsored links
Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 30, 2008 08:27 |  #2

That's spill for sure. What tool did you use to extract the green screen?

I recommend the product Primatte Chromakey (external link).

Dave Hoffmann

Ook
648 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 30, 2008 09:04 |  #3

I'd duplicate the layer, adjust the colour balance (or colour replace tool would probably work too) so that that foot is fine, then put that layer behind the original, and apply a layer mask and brush out the foot with a low-opacity brush until it looks normal.

John-Allan
40D | 11-16mm f/2.8 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 430ex | A650IS

Peano
Goldmember
1,755 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 30, 2008 13:03 |  #4

1. Create a blank layer above the image.
  2. Change blend mode to color.
  3. Sample the skin tone.
  4. Paint.
You might have to sample several times to get what you want, but this is probably the quickest and simplest way to remove spill like this.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 31, 2008 22:27 as a reply to  @ Peano's post |  #5

I'll give them both a try. I had plenty of light on the back and sides of the subject and under lit the front be cause I wanted to maintain some shadow/definition rather than blow the subject out completely. It's interesting that the most reflection of the green cast is in shadow.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 01, 2008 22:21 |  #6

What's the advantage of shooting against a green screen? I would have thought a white background would be better - certainly in this case.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 01, 2008 22:54 |  #7

Damo77 wrote in post #6606171 (external link)
What's the advantage of shooting against a green screen? I would have thought a white background would be better - certainly in this case.

During the film days they used the bluescreen because blue was the complimentary color to the red and yellow skin tones, allowing them to filter the blue then filter for good skin tones. It was all a complicated process.

I've seen two rationales for using a greenscreen with digital: 1) It can be used outdoors without interference from blue skies and 2) the green channel holds more tonal detail, but I'm not sure how those things would apply to our digital photography. At any rate, bright blue and bright green are commonly used because they are more easily masked from "most" subjects, i.e. subjects that don't happen to be wearing bright blue or bright green clothing!

As far as white goes, it could be just fine if there was no white or bright highlights on the subject, especially toward the edges. But imagine a white dress or shirt or even a little highlight from a flash on the side of a person's face -- could turn a quick simple selection into a time-consuming task. Like trying to whitescreen a snowy mountain top:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 01, 2008 23:57 |  #8

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I've no doubt it's a horses-for-courses situation. But I think this thread proves one of the downsides of the use of green.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 02, 2008 12:42 |  #9

Damo77 wrote in post #6606548 (external link)
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I've no doubt it's a horses-for-courses situation. But I think this thread proves one of the downsides of the use of green.

... or getting the lighting right to start with.

Dave Hoffmann

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 03, 2008 20:55 |  #10

Damo77 wrote in post #6606171 (external link)

White was used to show here just to emphasize the cast. The ultimate background will not be black.

Brice
Gear List

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 03, 2008 20:57 |  #11

Gatorboy wrote in post #6609097 (external link)
... or getting the lighting right to start with.

And yes I didn't get the lighting right as I have limited resources. 3 lights is not enough to prevent a cast in this situation. So, I'll try a couple of the suggestion provided here and elsewhere. Doesn't look like this is a problem easily solved.

Brice
Gear List

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2008 21:00 |  #12

I know that when green screen is used in broadcast televsion, it's a two step consideration:

1) Get the lighting on the screen itself as even as possible and run it about a stop over the subject
2) You have to get some backlighting on the subject themsevles to cut the hole cleanly. Dark areas are where green screen (Chroma Key .. Ultimatte) will start to go ragged. These are the areas that leave residual green on a still photo subject.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

PhotosGuy
75,846 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 04, 2008 09:00 |  #13

I'd duplicate the layer, adjust the colour balance (or colour replace tool would probably work too) so that that foot is fine, then put that layer behind the original, and apply a layer mask and brush out the foot with a low-opacity brush until it looks normal.

You can do that in one step using an Adjustment Layer for local changes. Layer> Adjustment Layer / "whatever" (PS7) or Image/ Adjustments/ "whatever"
Note what's said in the "Advanced Tip".
Adjustment Layers (external link)

Just make the change, click on the mask in the Layers Palette & Edit> Fill with black, & paint in the image, not the mask, with a white brush to just put the change where you want it.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 04, 2008 10:29 |  #14

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6618830 (external link)
I know that when green screen is used in broadcast televsion, it's a two step consideration:

1) Get the lighting on the screen itself as even as possible and run it about a stop over the subject
2) You have to get some backlighting on the subject themsevles to cut the hole cleanly. Dark areas are where green screen (Chroma Key .. Ultimatte) will start to go ragged. These are the areas that leave residual green on a still photo subject.

The dark areas are exactly where I see the reflection. I put a rim light to improve separation. I had limited lights so I couldn't get the backdrop as uniform as I should have, but Select->Color Range is working nicely for extraction. Very quick and accurate. I select using that method, modify the extraction and contract a pixel or two and I almost always get a clean extraction...

Seems counter intuitive that if I add more light in the foreground that I'll actually reduce the reflection... But I understand it works.

Brice
Gear List

Roach711
717 posts
Joined May 2004

Nov 04, 2008 13:49 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #15

There's a tutorial on removing green screen spill on russellbrown.com.

Click on "Photoshop tips & tricks" then scroll down about 1/3 of the way to "Green screen monster alert."

He's often got a different approach to a problem and is entertaining in the bargain.

---------------
50D, 100-400 L IS, 100 Macro 2.8, 24-105 L IS, 420EX, No talent

Shoot 'em all and let Photoshop sort them out.

sponsored links

14,805 views & 0 likes for this thread
Removing color cast artifacts after green screen extraction.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.