Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Oct 2008 (Friday) 03:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D at ISO 3200 - why is it not on by default

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 31, 2008 03:03 |  #1

Any ideas why canon leaves the ISO 3200 feature off and hidden away on the 40D? Does it generate to much heat or reduce battery lifetime if left on and not used? Or what?

Shot taken: F4, 1/125. ISO 3200, Noise reduced with Canon Digital Photo Professional 3.4.1.1.

DRH

sponsored links
Juan ­ Zas
Goldmember
1,511 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2008 06:19 |  #2

Because is not a native ISO, it´s just an electronic game ... but you can select its activation to be always on by Cf-n ...

Cheers
Juan

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,180 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 31, 2008 06:23 as a reply to  @ Juan Zas's post |  #3

If you didn't understand that explanation, then I'll expand it a bit. This is still a bit simplified, but anyway.

The ISO levels 100-1600 are achieved by changing the amplification when reading the data from the CMOS sensor.
When you use expansion modes, in this case H, which is equivalent to ISO 3200, the camera actually exposes according to ISO 1600, then just multiply by two. This reduces the range from the sensor, effectively making the 14-bit sensor in the 40D a 13-bit instead.
So there's a quality loss from a different reason, and that's why Canon makes you think once more, before you can use it.

Anders

Reibs
81 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 31, 2008 08:09 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #4

ahhh makes perfect sense now

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,884 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 31, 2008 08:30 |  #5

apersson850 wrote in post #6596653 (external link)
When you use expansion modes, in this case H, which is equivalent to ISO 3200, the camera actually exposes according to ISO 1600, then just multiply by two. This reduces the range from the sensor, effectively making the 14-bit sensor in the 40D a 13-bit instead.....

Hmm.. this is not how I understand the expanded modes. M y understanding has always been that the H mode is basically dialing in an exposure compensation value of -1 then when the raw file is processed the exposure is pushed by +1 thus you gain a full stop in speed. You can accomplish the same thing by shooting EC-1 and in DPP add exposure +1 and will get the exact same pic.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 31, 2008 11:26 |  #6

gjl711 wrote in post #6597180 (external link)
Hmm.. this is not how I understand the expanded modes. M y understanding has always been that the H mode is basically dialing in an exposure compensation value of -1 then when the raw file is processed the exposure is pushed by +1 thus you gain a full stop in speed. You can accomplish the same thing by shooting EC-1 and in DPP add exposure +1 and will get the exact same pic.

Originally Posted by apersson850

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

When you use expansion modes, in this case H, which is equivalent to ISO 3200, the camera actually exposes according to ISO 1600, then just multiply by two. This reduces the range from the sensor, effectively making the 14-bit sensor in the 40D a 13-bit instead.....

That's the same thing as what Anders said. An exposure compensation of -1 is the same as exposing at ISO 1600 and pushing +1 stop is the same as mutiplying by 2.

Elie / אלי

gjl711
55,884 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 31, 2008 11:34 |  #7

So why would you loose 1/2 of the data? Something is not making sense.

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,952 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 31, 2008 13:36 |  #8

gjl711 wrote in post #6598166 (external link)
So why would you loose 1/2 of the data? Something is not making sense.

You don't. You lose 1/14 of the dynamic range. A shift of one bit is the same as multiplying ISO by 2.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 31, 2008 14:05 |  #9

Thanks, it clarifies the concept and I will keep this in mind when moving into the expanded range. That may also be the reason why Canon shows H in the LCD and not 3200 anymore. It is not real 3200 :-) The 50D obviously uses the same method to go from 3200 to its expanded mode.

DRH

gjl711
55,884 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 31, 2008 17:33 |  #10

number six wrote in post #6598953 (external link)
You don't. You lose 1/14 of the dynamic range. A shift of one bit is the same as multiplying ISO by 2.

-js

But loosing 1 bit does not loose 1/14, it looses 1/2 What you guys are saying is that you go from 2 to the 14th to 2 to the 13th or 1/2 of the data. Isn't the data just remapped to a different range?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,067 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2008 17:59 |  #11

gjl711 wrote in post #6600230 (external link)
But loosing 1 bit does not loose 1/14, it looses 1/2 What you guys are saying is that you go from 2 to the 14th to 2 to the 13th or 1/2 of the data. Isn't the data just remapped to a different range?

Arithmetically it is 1/2 of the data...2^13 vs 2^14...but photographically it is taking 14 levels of range to 13 levels...the top and bottom are both the same, but you lose an intermdiate value, and that level is mapped (rounded) up or down to the next range instead. You're both right!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

1,819 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D at ISO 3200 - why is it not on by default
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.