Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 01 Nov 2008 (Saturday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

V-ball poster

PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 01, 2008 13:14 |  #1

I started out with a white background & then thought a dull red that matched the court walls might work out better.

What do you think?

BTW, this will look better in a color managed browser. It should look a tad dark in others.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

The original thread:
St. Louis vs. Breckenridge Volleyball District Tournament 11/7/2008

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links
disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 02, 2008 01:18 |  #2

idk, it's a real toss up for me. I really like the classic white bg look...but the red bg looks good as well. I guess for me i'd still have to say white bg. but I guess really depends on what you're going for. if you really want the team colors to show more then definitely red. otherwise go white. hope that helps a little.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

Jamie ­ Holladay
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 02, 2008 01:26 |  #3

That is nice Frank. I like the second best. did you try a black bg?

The Site  (external link)The Gallery  (external link)The Gear (external link)

"If you really want something done, ask a busy person." Toms wife

Nothing is more Exhilarating than combining my two passions, the speed of a shutter, the speed of a car; What a Rush! ~ me

What stands between you and greatness sits between your ears, not in your camera bag. ~ John Thawley

You know I can't spell just sound it out. ~ me

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 02, 2008 01:28 |  #4

I like the red bg. Also, watch the color temp and white balance of each photo... it can throw off some of the photos

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

cevad
98 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 02, 2008 02:30 as a reply to  @ Nathan's post |  #5

I like the red much better but if you use the red make sure to change the style of the text. The red stroke around the text on a red background doesn't look good at all. Either change the stroke to the same color as the word "St Louis" on the shield and keep the text color black or maybe change the text color to the "St Louis" color and add a black stroke.

Something I did for a poster last year was to add texture to the background to make it a bit different. My background was also red and it looked too plain. I used a "crayon" texture in photoshop and adjusted the scale to suit my taste and it looked great. The texture added more character and depth to the poster. Don't over do the texture... just make a subtle change or it will overpower the photos and you don't want that.

One final critique... you have some great volleyball photos on that poster, (the top left is my favorite), but the largest photo you are showing is IMHO the most boring of the lot. It's the focus of the poster and there is too much background in the photo and not enough action. It's wasted real estate on the poster. The largest photo that grabs your attention should be one of the best. I would crop that photo to a portrait format with just the two main players and either add another photo or two to take up the space or enlarge and shift around the photos you already have to make a better collage. The top left photo and the one directly under it are great and they should get more attention.

Just my thoughts. I hope they help.

PhotosGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75,867 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 02, 2008 07:57 |  #6

if you really want the team colors to show more then definitely red. otherwise go white.

That's what I was thinking & I couldn't make up my mind either! :D

did you try a black bg?

I thought about it, but then my drop shadows wouldn't work & I just couldn't give them up! (I know, not a good reason!) ;)

Also, watch the color temp and white balance of each photo.

Part of the problem is the color temp of the gym "lighting". Every part of it doesn't have the same light, as in #1 in the original thread where you can see that the ball is white, but the vertical tape by the antenna isn't. Part of the problem is that I slightly biased in some magenta because I don't care for yellow skin.
I plan to make a full size test print to see how that will work & will tweak the individual images before I deliver the 12X18" print.

the largest photo you are showing is IMHO the most boring of the lot.

I totally agree with you & I'm still thinking about adding another image to the top-left corner of the net.
My problem is that I didn't think it through before I shot & then decided I needed to try & include shots of everyone on the team & I just didn't have all of them, so I used this shot. As they say, PPPPPP!

The red stroke around the text on a red background doesn't look good at all.

From what I see here, I also agree with you on that. But in the full size image, the stroke looks pretty good, so I'll wait to see how the proof comes out.

"crayon" texture in photoshop

I'll take a look at that, too.

(the top left is my favorite)

One of mine, too. I wish I could have had all of her face in it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment on this. Doing single images is easy compared to trying to get a group of them to work together!

Jamie ­ Holladay
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 02, 2008 08:14 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #7

I thought about it, but then my drop shadows wouldn't work & I just couldn't give them up! (I know, not a good reason!) :wink:

Change it to a white Drop Shadow Just a thought.

The Site  (external link)The Gallery  (external link)The Gear (external link)

"If you really want something done, ask a busy person." Toms wife

Nothing is more Exhilarating than combining my two passions, the speed of a shutter, the speed of a car; What a Rush! ~ me

What stands between you and greatness sits between your ears, not in your camera bag. ~ John Thawley

You know I can't spell just sound it out. ~ me

PhotosGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75,867 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 02, 2008 13:08 |  #8

Change it to a white Drop Shadow Just a thought.

No Smily there, so I wonder where you saw that? It's a pretty cutting edge concept for an old shooter like me! :D

PhotosGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75,867 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 02, 2008 20:45 |  #9

Here's an update. I added two shots to the wasted real estate in the larger image. I also decided to cover my butt & add a drop shadow to the red text.
I don't seem to have the "crayon" texture in PS7. Maybe I looked in the wrong place. or it was an add on effect?

Here's a crop of just the top half of it. (Not looking all that good at 146KB, is it? I think I had to use Q4 to get the size down.) :cry:

HOSTED PHOTO

PhotosGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75,867 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 04, 2008 20:50 |  #10

Update: I picked up a 12X18" print today & it looks great!

Thanks for your input!

cevad
98 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 06, 2008 00:55 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #11

Much better use of space PhotosGuy. I still don't like the red stroke on the text though. (I'm a stubborn SOB). :p

I'm using CS2 and I found the wax crayon texture under "Layer Style, Pattern Overlay".

I absolutely love textures! A subtle texture on your poster background and I think your photos would jump off the paper even more. Just MHO. What really counts is that your customer likes it.

Cheers!

cevad
98 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 06, 2008 01:02 as a reply to  @ cevad's post |  #12

Oops! Something else I just noticed... your top and bottom text is kinda close to the shield. The top text looks like it might actually be touching the shield. You might want to resize the shield a bit smaller to allow a better clearance.

Oh... and did I mention that the stroke on the text should match the stroke on the shield? LOL I just couldn't resist!  :p

PhotosGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75,867 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 06, 2008 20:11 |  #13

I still don't like the red stroke on the text though. (I'm a stubborn SOB)

Me, too! :D It does look good on the print, though. Really.

I'm using CS2 and I found the wax crayon texture under "Layer Style, Pattern Overlay".

Thanks.

A subtle texture on your poster background and I think your photos would jump off the paper even more.

I'll play around with them & maybe use one next year. Gotta' keep showing something new.

The top text looks like it might actually be touching the shield.

I thought the shadow from the "p" added a 3rd dimension, but it's probably too subtle & looks like a miSteAk. Again, It looks OK on the print if anyone even notices it.

Oh... and did I mention that the stroke on the text should match the stroke on the shield?

That's the design of the shield. No stroke on my part.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Your comment on, "too much background in the photo and not enough action." was a big help. I knew it needed something but couldn't put my finger on what it was.

sponsored links

2,959 views & 0 likes for this thread
V-ball poster
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.