Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Nov 2008 (Saturday) 15:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D - Focus assist flash fires away and sometimes no shot

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2008 15:51 |  #1

Hi, I am not a fan of the flash unit on the 40D and steer away from using it. The problem is that when I do need it for a quick snap, for some reason I find that it fires away profusely as the camera wants to focus. Now and then the 40D just refuses to take the shot, because the AF is not happy. You release the trigger and try again and hope for the best. In so doing you miss the moment and it is not captured.

Has anybody else noticed this behaviour?

DRH

sponsored links
Sean
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 01, 2008 16:01 |  #2

In your custom settings (III-5) you can turn off Focus assist and set it to Off Camera Flash or Off. If it's refusing to take the shot, you are probably not in focus, and in the view finder is the little green dot (focus confirmation) blinking or solid?

Canon 50D - 17-55mm F2.8 IS - 300mm F4L IS - 70-200mm F4L IS - 50mm F1.8 - 580EX II & 430EX - Full Gear Listing
Flickr (external link) - C&C Always welcome.

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2008 16:04 |  #3

It is definitely not in focus and the green dot blinks to indiacte that as well. I just find it irritating that all this technology is supposed to help and then it lets you down. The point is that it may highlight a general AF issue with the body.

DRH

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 01, 2008 16:49 as a reply to  @ David Ransley's post |  #4

Another example of just how Utopia and photography doesn't always fit in the same sentence I'm afraid. Just because your flash is emitting the focus assist beam doesn't mean the camera will be necessarily be able to achieve focus. What focus point are you using? How far away from your subject are you? How contrasty is your subject? ..............the list goes on

Steve.

Gear List

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2008 16:55 |  #5

gofer wrote in post #6604709 (external link)
Another example of just how Utopia and photography doesn't always fit in the same sentence I'm afraid. Just because your flash is emitting the focus assist beam doesn't mean the camera will be necessarily be able to achieve focus. What focus point are you using? How far away from your subject are you? How contrasty is your subject? ..............the list goes on

Yes, the list is long and I must add in defense of the 40D, that this normally happens with lower contrast and off-center focus points. Just learned about the more accurate center point and will re-test the camera's ability :-) Distance not far, 3 to 4 meters.

DRH

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 01, 2008 17:13 |  #6

David Ransley wrote in post #6604731 (external link)
Yes, the list is long and I must add in defense of the 40D, that this normally happens with lower contrast and off-center focus points. Just learned about the more accurate center point and will re-test the camera's ability :-) Distance not far, 3 to 4 meters.

Your quoted distance of 3 to 4 metres may not seem far but at 4 metres when using the pop up flash you'll certainly be just about at the limit of the focus assist beam range - even in ideal conditions.

Steve.

Gear List

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2008 17:15 |  #7

gofer wrote in post #6604806 (external link)
Your quoted distance of 3 to 4 metres may not seem far but at 4 metres when using the pop up flash you'll certainly be just about at the limit of the focus assist beam range - even in ideal conditions.

Agreed, I checked the flash guide number the other day and it is about the max you can go.

DRH

sponsored links

1,447 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D - Focus assist flash fires away and sometimes no shot
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.