Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Nov 2008 (Wednesday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need your help to make some screenshots....

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 05, 2008 09:55 |  #1

...if you have a calibrated monitor and don't mind helping, of course. I have two jpegs (from the same RAW), both in sRGB color space. One looks right in my Photoshop but looks wacky in non-cm app like internet explorer. The second jpeg I manually removed the bad color cast and want to see if it looks over-corrected on a CM app.

Here's what you can help:
1. Load jpeg-1 in your photoshop and also open it in a non-CM app like Internet Explorer. Move them side by side and do a screenshot (press PrintScreen button for windows).

2. Basically same as step #1 but this time load jpeg-2. Put Photoshop and IE side by side and make another screenshot.

3. Post both screenshots here.

If you are willing to help, pm me your email and I will send you the two jpegs. I sincerely thank you in advance.

Fee

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 05, 2008 14:55 |  #2

Put the jpegs on a web server and link to them. I'm not on a color managed PC right now, will be later.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

cfcRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 05, 2008 15:33 |  #3

tim wrote in post #6629939 (external link)
Put the jpegs on a web server and link to them. I'm not on a color managed PC right now, will be later.

Good idea Tim but i currently don't have a web hosting provider that i can put these jpegs. I suppose I can upload them to Flickr but afraid Flickr strips the ICC profile or mess them up in other way for this test.
I promise I won't spam you with junk mails. :lol:

Fee

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,905 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 05, 2008 15:50 |  #4

OK, first photo shows jpeg1 displayed with Photoshop LE, and jpeg2 displayed with Paintshop Pro X...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

The second photo shows the same two images, both displayed with Paintshop Pro X

IMAGE NOT FOUND

What did we just prove?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

cfcRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 05, 2008 15:58 |  #5

Wilt, Paintshop Pro X is color-managed, correct?
I want to see jpeg-1 in a CM app and in a non-CM app, side by side. Then jpeg-2 in a CM app and in a non-CM app, again side by side. I apologize if I confused you earlier. So, in your setup, can you load jpeg-1 in Photoshop LE and in IE and put them side by side? Then also do the same for jpeg-2.

Fee

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 05, 2008 16:24 |  #6

The first image ("convert to sRGB") doesn't have an embedded profile, so I assigned sRGB in PSCS2.

This screenshot is taken on my PowerBook, OSX, in PSCS2 converted to sRGB, so should display well in Safari and FF3.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I'll do the same on my desktop shortly.

Edit:
Desktop, with calibrated LaCie CRT:

HOSTED PHOTO

From the correction you did to get the edited image in a non CM application close to the version you saw in PS, I'd say your screen isn't too far off from my laptop...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Wilt
43,905 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 05, 2008 17:54 |  #7

cfcRebel wrote in post #6630301 (external link)
Wilt, Paintshop Pro X is color-managed, correct?
I want to see jpeg-1 in a CM app and in a non-CM app, side by side. Then jpeg-2 in a CM app and in a non-CM app, again side by side. I apologize if I confused you earlier. So, in your setup, can you load jpeg-1 in Photoshop LE and in IE and put them side by side? Then also do the same for jpeg-2.

Paintshop Pro may have ability to color manage, but I can assure you that the computer and monitor that I used has never had color management performed with it!

But I'll run the comparison you just spec'd...jpeg-1 in Photoshop vs. jpeg-1 in Windows viewer; same comparison for jpeg-2

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
43,905 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 05, 2008 18:06 |  #8

Here is jpeg-1 photo comparison, in Photoshop above, in Windows view bottom

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Here is jpeg-2 photo comparison, in Photoshop above, in Windows view bottom

IMAGE NOT FOUND

cfcRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 05, 2008 19:13 |  #9

René Damkot wrote in post #6630441 (external link)
From the correction you did to get the edited image in a non CM application close to the version you saw in PS, I'd say your screen isn't too far off from my laptop...

You are right, Rene. It seems the result I saw on my LCD is very similar to your laptop result. Jpeg-1 looks very different between CM and non-CM apps.
On your LaCie screen, the corrected version (jpeg-2) does not look over-corrected like it appears in your laptop. The significance of the difference between two screens is quite surprising to me.

Thank you very....very much for the help, Rene.

Fee

cfcRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 05, 2008 19:20 |  #10

Wilt wrote in post #6631033 (external link)
Here is jpeg-1 photo comparison, in Photoshop above, in Windows view bottom

Here is jpeg-2 photo comparison, in Photoshop above, in Windows view bottom

Wilt, your result is very similar to Rene's desktop result. That clarifies things up for me. Average quality LCD (although calibrated) will show significant difference in colors between CM and non-CM apps when everything is in sRGB. Same setup, high quality LCD will show less difference. And my LCD is below average :oops:. ******sighhhhhh*******

Again, thanks a million for helping.

Fee

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 06, 2008 14:28 |  #11

cfcRebel wrote in post #6631434 (external link)
On your LaCie screen, the corrected version (jpeg-2) does not look over-corrected like it appears in your laptop. The significance of the difference between two screens is quite surprising to me.

Are we looking at the same versions? ;)
The way I see it:

(Very roughly): The edited jpg looks about the same in a non color managed program on my laptop then the original in a color managed application on whatever machine.
The original also looks okay-ish on my CRT in a not color managed application (Since the CRT is relatively close to sRGB)

The edited version looks way off in a color managed application on whatever machine, and also quite a bit off in a non color managed application on my CRT... It only looks good in a non CM application on my Powerbook.

Okay: The next screenshot is not color managed, so ignore the colors here.
It's only to clarify how I see the colors (in a color managed browser, or (identical) at the time I made the screenshots):

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20081106-cb8eskbmg344meiykeqci2tjcc.jpg

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

cfcRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 06, 2008 15:38 |  #12

Ok, I think it's easier to label them 1, 2, 3....7, 8. :D

The screenshot you posted (not the last one), from my screen #4, #8 are very close to #1. #6 is just tad more saturated than #1 but also close. #5 and #7 are close to #3. Am I not seeing what I am supposed to see? I thought doing screenshot (as opposed to attach directly) is less prone to profile/color shift......no? :(

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Fee

Wilt
43,905 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 06, 2008 16:18 |  #13

Perplexing...what I see from René's assessment is that sometimes color managed is good but other times it is BAD. And sometimes the non-color managed is bad and other times it is GOOD. In other words, total chaotic inconsistency!

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 06, 2008 16:27 |  #14

All color managed originals (#1 and 5) are good (identical) (duh)
Not color managed edit on Laptop (4) is close, as is non color managed original on CRT (7).
Non color managed original on the laptop is a bit bland (3)
Edits on the CRT, and in PS on the laptop (2&6 mainly, 8 as well) have purple water.

Screenshots are color managed on OSX: They come with the display profile embedded. I converted to sRGB in the first screenshots I posted.

The last screenshot should also have my laptops display profile, but it isn't embedded, because Skitch doesn't color managed. It should look fairly okay on a non color managed application on your screen (assuming it's close to my laptop screen) and my on my PB it looks identical in Safari or FF2 (first assumes monitor profile if nothing's embedded, latter isn't color managed)

Not sure on Windows, but easy (for you) to check: I'd guess that the screenshot isn't color managed, but if you open it in PS, and *assign* monitor profile, it should look identical to the screen you captured. If that's so, you can convert to sRGB for posting on the web.

Quite a lot of goofing around with profiles though ;)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 06, 2008 16:29 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #6637236 (external link)
Perplexing...what I see from René's assessment is that sometimes color managed is good but other times it is BAD. And sometimes the non-color managed is bad and other times it is GOOD. In other words, total chaotic inconsistency!

Color managed is *always* good. The image varies.

Original image is good (more or less) in 3 out of 4
Edited image (to get non color managed close to color managed original) is good (more or less) in 1 out of 4 cases.

Should give of a certain hint ;)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

2,615 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need your help to make some screenshots....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.