Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
Thread started 08 Nov 2008 (Saturday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post Your Food Photography

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 16, 2013 22:27 |  #3916

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3781/11397830024_dfc73ffd9d_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/cjcmarquez/11​397830024/  (external link)
Peppermint Hot Cocoa (external link) by cjcmarquez (external link), on Flickr

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
gsouder
78 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 18, 2013 01:40 |  #3917

Here's an in action shot.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ZE-photo.com (external link)
Fiftytwofaces.com (external link)
Vegan food
Portraits- People
Portraits- Animals

dotcodotuk
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 24, 2013 08:42 |  #3918

OhLook wrote in post #16355663 (external link)
Feedback is scarce around here. It's like many conversations, too many talkers and not enough listeners.

Feedback and/or critique is a lot easier if people took the time to critique their own work in the first place.

Explaining what you were trying to do and why gives people something to go on - it can feel somewhat pointless offering feedback when you don't know the intention behind the work.

Stunning.

Clams, pearl barley, new potatoes and parsley?

ieatstars
Goldmember
3,283 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 24, 2013 09:50 |  #3919

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3726/11498179043_12b562f20e_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ieatstars/11498​179043/  (external link)
Cheers to the good life. (external link) by i eaт sтars (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2808/11518665183_4fe442036f_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ieatstars/11518​665183/  (external link)
Eat your vegetables. (external link) by i eaт sтars (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Be my fan on F a c e b o o k! (external link) :D

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,836 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 24, 2013 12:19 |  #3920

dotcodotuk wrote in post #16550986 (external link)
Explaining what you were trying to do and why gives people something to go on - it can feel somewhat pointless offering feedback when you don't know the intention behind the work.

Agree. The story behind the shot is often given in Wildlife and Landscapes but not often for some other categories, including still lifes. Sometimes I think of saying what drew me to a scene in Urban Fragments, for example, but it isn't the norm. Most people there don't do that for their shots.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

gsouder
78 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 24, 2013 12:58 |  #3921

OhLook wrote in post #16551436 (external link)
Agree. The story behind the shot is often given in Wildlife and Landscapes but not often for some other categories, including still lifes. Sometimes I think of saying what drew me to a scene in Urban Fragments, for example, but it isn't the norm. Most people there don't do that for their shots.

Interesting... I'm new to this site and I'm looking to get better. So on my post above, my intention was to capture the making of sushi, as opposed to just taking a photo of that sushi. I wanted to capture that action in as beautiful way possible. It's not meant to be a still life.

I was under the impression that a photo, in most cases, should tell the story on it's own, but I can also see your point that there may need to be some descriptive value to help with critique.

Vegan food
Portraits- People
Portraits- Animals

ra40
845 posts
Gallery: 340 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 25, 2013 14:10 as a reply to  @ gsouder's post |  #3922

A grab shot from a local bakery we'd stopped in for a sweet snack. Usually have a P&S but it was not in the car so a macro shot was pretty challenging. Camera available was the 5D-C and 40mm pancake.

Funny part was that there is a "no Photography" sign in the shop but yet they proudly display Yelp stickers and a plaque. How else do they get several hundred pictures of the shop and the various treats. ;) Most others had their cell phones out, I was the only one with an SLR doing the drill. :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,836 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by OhLook.

Dec 26, 2013 19:11 |  #3923

Balancing act: no supports, just cookies

HOSTED PHOTO

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

dotcodotuk
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 27, 2013 10:48 |  #3924

OhLook wrote in post #16551436 (external link)

I don't particularly mind whether we are presented with anything from a detailed backstory to just a few lines, but a statement of intent and some form of context really helps when it comes to giving useful feedback - that is, assuming feedback is required*.

The same goes for easily-obtainable Exif data. Being able to look at the technical aspects behind a photo really helps with the advice and guidance side of things - knowing whether to suggest a wider aperture, faster shutter speed and so forth.

Take ieatstars's offerings - you'd assume these were snapshots taken when visiting a bar and just posted in here as the subject matter matches the intent of the thread. And, after a little light probing, you can see from the Exif that the aperture in the second shot has given her a plane of focus that is far too shallow and this has resulted in nothing in the image appearing to be sharply in focus.

But without some form of context behind the image, it's pretty much impossible to tell whether the outcome was intentional or accidental and whether she cares or not. And equally, whether she's looking for feedback or not.

*Yes, I know there's a specific subforum for that.

dotcodotuk
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 27, 2013 11:19 |  #3925

gsouder wrote in post #16551522 (external link)
Interesting... I'm new to this site and I'm looking to get better. So on my post above, my intention was to capture the making of sushi, as opposed to just taking a photo of that sushi. I wanted to capture that action in as beautiful way possible. It's not meant to be a still life.

I think that purely on a technical basis, the shot is letting you down. Without being able to see the Exif it's hard to tell whether this is an issue with your chosen shutter speed or if you've just missed the focus, but the softness of the image is letting it down.

You mention that you were intent on capturing the action of making sushi, but to me it just looks like an out of focus shot and I'd find it much more appealing if your subject matter was sharply in focus.

There are plenty of techniques to get both sharpness and movement in a single image - would it be fair to say that was your intention?

gsouder
78 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 27, 2013 12:20 |  #3926

dotcodotuk wrote in post #16557358 (external link)
I think that purely on a technical basis, the shot is letting you down. Without being able to see the Exif it's hard to tell whether this is an issue with your chosen shutter speed or if you've just missed the focus, but the softness of the image is letting it down.

You mention that you were intent on capturing the action of making sushi, but to me it just looks like an out of focus shot and I'd find it much more appealing if your subject matter was sharply in focus.

There are plenty of techniques to get both sharpness and movement in a single image - would it be fair to say that was your intention?

This was actually a fairly intentional shot as is. I was trying to get the front face of the sushi in focus and blow the rest out. I waited for the chef to roll the sushi and then fired three shots. I just looked at the image in LR and the center of the sushi roll is a little soft at 100% zoom- My guess is that it's due to the shutter speed. I've been known to take risks with shutter speeds; I'm definitely still learning.

Here's the shot info:

ISO: 2000
Lens: 100mm Macro (IS)
Apature: 4.0
Shutter: 1/25

Vegan food
Portraits- People
Portraits- Animals

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,836 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 27, 2013 12:47 |  #3927

gsouder wrote in post #16557467 (external link)
ISO: 2000 . . . Shutter: 1/25

To get sharpness at 1/25, your hands would have to be well braced and superhumanly still (everyone has a pulse). ISO 2000 says there wasn't enough light for a faster speed. Plus, the subject was probably moving, unless you got the chef to pause while you shot.

ieatstars
Goldmember
3,283 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 27, 2013 20:51 |  #3928

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5538/11587925356_c4a2197cb2_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ieatstars/11587​925356/  (external link)
These are the days. (external link) by i eaт sтars (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Be my fan on F a c e b o o k! (external link) :D

king.
235 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 28, 2013 15:34 |  #3929

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2873/10955853825_2d1f8c3ec9_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …ahaohmichael/10​955853825/  (external link)
Fries (external link) by Michael Fornataro Photography (external link), on Flickr

5Dmk3 with a couple red rings
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 28, 2013 16:09 |  #3930

^^Nice lighting

A couple from Christmas Eve -

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7384/11609330176_105c0d6070_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/cjcmarquez/11​609330176/  (external link)
Prime Rib (external link) by cjcmarquez (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5536/11608909154_b69e1df507_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/cjcmarquez/11​608909154/  (external link)
Strudel (external link) by cjcmarquez (external link), on Flickr

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,391,398 views & 2,971 likes for this thread
Post Your Food Photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.