Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
Thread started 08 Nov 2008 (Saturday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post Your Food Photography

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,350 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 26, 2015 16:16 |  #4651

OhLook wrote in post #17722670 (external link)
The harm is that those of us who like to shoot food but aren't pros are discouraged from participating. There's no such stratification in the other subforums I follow. Members who post ordinary subjectless street scenes or blurry shots of birds aren't made to feel unwelcome.

Next time I have a food shot I like, I certainly won't put it in this thread.

I understand completely. I was referring to my own post as it became the focus of conversation instead of photos being posted of food.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,805 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 26, 2015 17:30 |  #4652

itsallart wrote in post #17722666 (external link)
My 2 cents: anything can be posted but any bluntly expressed criticism only sheds some light onto the person criticizing that shot. Politeness never hurts no matter what. We are all different with various thresholds of dealing with harsh criticism.

If you take exception to a post, then report it. You can even choose to ignore the member forever.

Half the time here, you're lucky to get any <bump> from page 3 at all, so suck it up & either take or ignore the advice. The name of the thread is "Post Your Food Photography". That's "Food" + "Photography". Not "Show us what you had for lunch" in a Foodie forum. So good/bad/indifferent crit is something that everyone has to live with. The more care that you take with your posted images, the less likely that you'll have to deal with harsh comments, & you might even get a "Like".

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,849 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 26, 2015 19:58 |  #4653

C&C on this forum has helped me get where i am today. I would never shy away from it. There are times of course where you think you pic is amazing and everyone doesnt agree. Nut you have to take it on the chin. If its someones work who you like and respect, listen to them. Dont shy away from posting because youre scared from getting criticism .

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,849 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 26, 2015 20:00 |  #4654

Prime Rib!

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/674/21742675695_fd3669051a_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/z8jT​YT  (external link) Siegels 1941 1 (external link) by Anthony Mair (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,363 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 26, 2015 20:19 |  #4655

DonJuanMair wrote in post #17722869 (external link)
Dont shy away from posting because youre scared from getting criticism .

That's not the reason in my case. I'll shy away from posting because it's become clear, just today, that "Post Your Food Photography" really means "Post Your Professional-Quality Food Photography," although the thread wasn't labeled as such, and because some replies have been snide.

I don't have any professional-quality food images. I thought I could "play with the big kids" anyway, since the quality of previous images in this long thread varied so much. Apparently not. I don't wish to burden other viewers with disappointing images that waste their time.

Is anyone else up for starting a Salon des Refusés?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

PhotosGuy
75,805 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 26, 2015 21:19 |  #4656

OhLook wrote in post #17722886 (external link)
That's not the reason in my case. I'll shy away from posting because it's become clear, just today, that "Post Your Food Photography" really means "Post Your Professional-Quality Food Photography," although the thread wasn't labeled as such, and because some replies have been snide.

I don't have any professional-quality food images. I thought I could "play with the big kids" anyway, since the quality of previous images in this long thread varied so much. Apparently not. I don't wish to burden other viewers with disappointing images that waste their time.

Is anyone else up for starting a Salon des Refusés?

No, it doesn't mean that. On your Focaccia shot, you got a "Looks good!" & a "Outstanding!", so it seems to me that you're making more out of this than it deserves.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,363 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 26, 2015 22:32 |  #4657

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17722934 (external link)
No, it doesn't mean that. On your Focaccia shot, you got a "Looks good!" & a "Outstanding!", so it seems to me that you're making more out of this than it deserves.

Here's the deal, though. I liked Dave's lunch shot. Admittedly, it could be improved; a heap of plain tuna is boring, and the dark border on the plate is a distraction--I agree with all that. But I seldom get a food image as good as that one. When I do, I'd feel that posting it here was appropriate until the discussion that has followed Dave's. His photo was critiqued as if it had been intended to represent his best work even though the way he introduced it made clear that it was a casual shot.

Then a few of the more-advanced photographers started talking about snapshots suitable only for Instagram, and you, a mod, took their side generally. If their opinion of "Quick Lunch" is that low, the bar is set too high for people at my stage of learning and with my equipment. Yes, the focaccia got compliments, but even so, I see flaws in it that are at least as serious as the shortcomings that drew attention in "Quick Lunch." Besides, getting praise from some members doesn't mean that other members don't think the image is unworthy of a better venue than Instagram. You saw Mr. Spellman's comment referring to useless likes.

To sum up: Most people don't take food pictures as good as the best food photographers here do. The best food photographers dislike combing through the everyday shots to get to the good stuff. I think a category is needed between "professional, beautiful" and "Instagram, ugh."

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

PhotosGuy
75,805 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 26, 2015 23:07 |  #4658

OhLook wrote in post #17722990 (external link)
To sum up: Most people don't take food pictures as good as the best food photographers here do.

This could be true in almost any of our forum categories? Why should that limit a member from posting their own images? I've posted images that suck, too. Maybe someone can learn something from them. Isn't that what we're here for?

The best food photographers dislike combing through the everyday shots to get to the good stuff.

I wonder what your basis for that statement is?

I think a category is needed between "professional, beautiful" and "Instagram, ugh."

So feel free to start a new thread. Maybe "Post your less than perfect food images"?  ; )

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,363 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 27, 2015 00:37 |  #4659

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17723024 (external link)
OhLook wrote in post #17722990 (external link)
To sum up: Most people don't take food pictures as good as the best food photographers here do.

This could be true in almost any of our forum categories? Why should that limit a member from posting their own images? I've posted images that suck, too. Maybe someone can learn something from them. Isn't that what we're here for?

Motives for being here vary, I suppose. That the quality of images also varies doesn't make trouble in other forums, but in this thread some of the experts prefer not to see a quality some distance below theirs.

The best food photographers dislike combing through the everyday shots to get to the good stuff.

I wonder what your basis for that statement is?

Posts #4653, 4654, and--surprise!--4659.

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,849 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 27, 2015 02:08 |  #4660

This has gone from several people trying to help someone and elevate their skills and quality of this thread to you dragging it out now. No wonder you have ten thousand posts.

flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,805 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 27, 2015 08:30 |  #4661

OhLook wrote in post #17723086 (external link)
Motives for being here vary, I suppose. That the quality of images also varies doesn't make trouble in other forums, but in this thread some of the experts prefer not to see a quality some distance below theirs.

At any given time, we can have at least 500 members online, so I suppose that there might be some truth in your perception. But why let what is probably less than 1% of the population affect what you do?

Posts #4653, 4654, and--surprise!--4659.

I'm not seeing the "dislike" that you do. So I'm going out to take some pictures, probably some crappy ones, too, while you work on this suggestion, "So feel free to start a new thread. Maybe "Post your less than perfect food images"? ; )"

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,849 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 27, 2015 21:36 |  #4662

Do drinks count here? i cant find a drinks thread

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/728/21746761636_62a3decdd9_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/z8FQ​A9  (external link) R1_Rum_1 (external link) by Anthony Mair (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 01, 2015 20:09 |  #4663

Some fried chicken :-)

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/771/21862067092_6a5a80ab3e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ziSN​Tf  (external link) Son of a Biscuit (external link) by Chad Joseph Marquez (external link), on Flickr

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

mswobo
Goldmember
1,318 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 02, 2015 00:17 |  #4664

First time trying food photography.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nikon D850 and a bunch of stuff, I have learned a lot here when I was shooting Canon, staying to keep learning..."Every time I set up I learn something new".

Bojsha1965
70 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 02, 2015 05:14 |  #4665

Hi everyone.
New one, Kapric is the name.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5756/21775027202_e320a05093_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/zbbG​Xu  (external link) HMC Kapric 8650 (external link) by Nebojsa Markovic (external link), on Flickr

Nebojsa
5dmkII | 24-105L | 17-40L | 100L macro | 70-200L | 44-2 | 44M-4 | 77M-4 | MC Volna 9 | Jupiter 9 | Some old Nikkors | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,206,942 views & 2,772 likes for this thread
Post Your Food Photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.