Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
Thread started 08 Nov 2008 (Saturday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post Your Food Photography

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,538 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by thenextguy. (2 edits in all)

Mar 20, 2016 22:37 |  #4801

How do you guys decide where to put the focus point? I think I could have done a better job of that here....or maybe I could have done a better job with the placement of the berries.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1694/25922175966_35eced6ceb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FuDV​No  (external link) Blueberries! Yum! (external link) by Steve V (external link), on Flickr

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,392 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 20, 2016 22:43 |  #4802

thenextguy wrote in post #17942575 (external link)
How do you guys decide where to put the focus point? I think I could have done a better job of that here....or maybe I could have done a better job with the placement of the berries.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FuDV​No  (external link) Blueberries! Yum! (external link) by Steve V (external link), on Flickr

I don't know what those guys would do, but I'd focus one and a half berries in front of where you did.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Mar 20, 2016 22:59 |  #4803

I think your focus is fine ... at the choosen focal length I would have probably stopped down to f/8 or possibly f/11.

Lupo

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,293 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 21, 2016 09:23 |  #4804

Reminds me of one of my first food shots, I went pretty shallow and used a Canon 100 Macro.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,392 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 21, 2016 12:08 |  #4805

Lupo-Lobo wrote in post #17942595 (external link)
I think your focus is fine ... at the choosen focal length I would have probably stopped down to f/8 or possibly f/11.

Yes, I'd prefer a deeper field for this kind of shot. Maybe not so deep as f/8, though, maybe about f/4. However, shallow fields are in style, as if to mimic what an extremely myopic person would see. I think when the field is very shallow, focusing near the front of the food is better than focusing near the middle. Just my opinions. There are certainly people here who have more experience with food (more experience shooting it, not necessarily more experience eating it).

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,538 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 21, 2016 12:15 |  #4806

OhLook wrote in post #17943178 (external link)
Yes, I'd prefer a deeper field for this kind of shot. Maybe not so deep as f/8, though, maybe about f/4.

It was shot at f/5.6.

But I get the overall point. More depth of field. f/8 probably would have been good.

I think part of what screws up the shot a bit is that there are some blueberries in the front (about 3/4 of the way through) that are blocking the plane of focus.

Gotta work on my berry placement!

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,392 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 21, 2016 12:20 |  #4807

thenextguy wrote in post #17943187 (external link)
It was shot at f/5.6.

Then you must have been very close? Optics isn't my long suit.

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,538 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 21, 2016 12:21 |  #4808

OhLook wrote in post #17943191 (external link)
Then you must have been very close? Optics isn't my long suit.

Macro lens! :lol:

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by Foodguy.

Mar 21, 2016 14:47 |  #4809

thenextguy wrote in post #17942575 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

I think it's a very nice image. One thing to point out is that the one blueberry that is in the center, sharpest focus, probably isn't the best one in the bowl; it seems a bit shriveled.

FWIW, I struggle with focus placement all the time. I don't think there's a universal rule, and typically I know where it's best only when I see it.

A few things I try to keep in mind:

First and foremost for me is application and layout. In some instances, the food item is going to be silhouetted into an ad or package. Sometimes a soft edge can get a little wonky when it's cut out, but it really depends on a lot of other factors. In other cases, it might be for a magazine ad that has the ability to be a little softer in mood and focus.

If it's a plate where I'm looking to separate the foreground (main item) from the back elements (secondary items) than the answer is obvious, as in to draw attention away from one thing and toward another.

If it's a plate or food item where all of the elements are the same (pepperoni pizza), I'll go either in one or two directions; either all in focus or limit the focus to the front third or so, with the thinking that once you've seen one you've seen them all...and that it's sometimes easy to lose the forrest for the trees. Again it depends on other factors. If it's going to be in a menu, on a menu board or package, sometimes crisper is better imo due to the nature of the final use. Too soft a focus can be ambiguous in some cases.

Depending on the style of image we're looking to create- There was a time not too long ago when it seemed as if food photography fell into 2 distinct camps: editorial where selective, softer focus was king and created more of a mood with less focus (no pun intended) on the food itself , and 'commercial' where the goal was to show every detail in crisp focus and mood was secondary. Those worlds have obviously blended and the selective focus things has made way for a tighter focus in an overall softer environment while the commercial work seems to still be about details in crisp focus imo.

The bottom line for me in virtually every photograph I take is to really look at it and decide if the focus placement is right for what I want and change it if it isn't.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,986 posts
Gallery: 193 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 21, 2016 20:22 |  #4810

Grilled and hickory smoked a nice thick ribeye steak for dinner tonight.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1493/25341189964_e11ba4359a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/EBjd​Um  (external link) My ribeye (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Looks just right to me!

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1531/25973893915_8dcd9742bf_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FzdZ​Ka  (external link) Checkiing for doneness (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,675 posts
Gallery: 254 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 22, 2016 00:19 |  #4811

Re Focus I go with Foodguy. If there is a lot of the same the DOF can be shallower then when there is a lot of different things on a plate. With a plate with a lot of variety I usually use F/11 and focus at the centre and at plate level. With a distance of 60 - 80 cm and a focal length of 50 - 70 mm, that usually brings most of the plate - even "heaped food " - in focus.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,246 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 22, 2016 01:50 |  #4812

Foodguy wrote in post #17943320 (external link)
I think it's a very nice image. One thing to point out is that the one blueberry that is in the center, sharpest focus, probably isn't the best one in the bowl; it seems a bit shriveled.

This. It really jumped out at me.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,293 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 22, 2016 12:52 |  #4813

Working on a little project today.

HOSTED PHOTO

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

jeganaath360
38 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 22, 2016 18:48 |  #4814

shot some OJ

HOSTED PHOTO

vilimo
552 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 24, 2016 07:16 |  #4815

navydoc wrote in post #17943749 (external link)
Grilled and hickory smoked a nice thick ribeye steak for dinner tonight.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/EBjd​Um  (external link) My ribeye (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Looks just right to me!

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FzdZ​Ka  (external link) Checkiing for doneness (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

That looks very good!!! am hungry now :D

sponsored links

1,213,066 views & 2,773 likes for this thread
Post Your Food Photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.