Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
Thread started 08 Nov 2008 (Saturday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post Your Food Photography

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,386 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 02, 2016 21:30 |  #4936

DonJuanMair wrote in post #18056363 (external link)
Could be a good idea. This more often that not feels like look what i had for dinner thread. A pic of your dinner does not translate as food photography in my opinion.

A pic of dinner is literally food photography, though. The source of conflict, I think, is the difference between "food photography" and "food photography." Those who come for the former don't want to see the latter. The two types share a thread because there wasn't always a dedicated food-photography forum.

I figured that navydoc's brinner photo was meant to be casual. If he'd wanted to emphasize the artistic side, he would have used a different plate, without such a distracting strong design.

Any suggestions for titling a spinoff thread, and which kind of photography shall be spun off?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links
itsallart
Cream of the Crop
8,920 posts
Gallery: 761 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 02, 2016 21:43 |  #4937

DonJuanMair wrote in post #18056222 (external link)
You're saying you couldn't move the plate anywhere?

perhaps that was the case. One never knows the circumstances.

OhLook wrote in post #18056306 (external link)
There's high-toned commercial photography, and there's "Look what I cooked today." Sometimes people want to take a quick shot of their meal and settle down to eating it before it's cold. Not saying this was navydoc's situation, but it's possible. The frequency of negative comments about amateur/hobbyist food shots has made me reluctant to post in this thread. Maybe we ought to have two threads for general food photography: professional and other.

I fully agree. I also don't feel like posting here; I sense some arrogance and supremacy at times from some members at times.

navydoc wrote in post #18056318 (external link)
Hehe, I just started to post that I couldn't move the plate anywhere, at least to improve lighting for a photograph because I didn't want my "brinner" to get cold! :-)

I totally understand, Gene. I often face a hungry crowd of my kids saying: mom, I'm starving; you can shoot that food later". Well, later it's all gone or looks messy enough not to be shot.

DonJuanMair wrote in post #18056363 (external link)
Could be a good idea. This more often that not feels like look what i had for dinner thread. A pic of your dinner does not translate as food photography in my opinion.

What's wrong with "see, what I had for dinner"? Why doesn't it translate into food photography? What else is on the plate if not food?

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,855 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 02, 2016 23:06 |  #4938

Obviously im out numbered here, i am not being arrogant. I dont mean to come across as give any idea of supremacy. I have been a member of this forum for a while and was excited to finally see a food thread. I wasnt however expecting it to be average pics of peoples dinner. I was expecting food photography. Yes you can say that its photography because you used a camera to take the picture but if thats the case, everyone who owns a camera is now a photographer right. I think not.

There is another thread in here, 'A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography'

These are all pictures where people are actually taking time to take the picture and learn. They post and there is a great amount of advice given there. I guess thats what i had hoped this thread could have been. I have no idea what to call the spin off thread, maybe 'A thread for food photographers, no snap shots! maybe that could work.

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
8,920 posts
Gallery: 761 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 02, 2016 23:33 |  #4939

DonJuanMair wrote in post #18056432 (external link)
Obviously im out numbered here, i am not being arrogant. I dont mean to come across as give any idea of supremacy. I have been a member of this forum for a while and was excited to finally see a food thread. I wasnt however expecting it to be average pics of peoples dinner. I was expecting food photography. Yes you can say that its photography because you used a camera to take the picture but if thats the case, everyone who owns a camera is now a photographer right. I think not.

There is another thread in here, 'A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography'

These are all pictures where people are actually taking time to take the picture and learn. They post and there is a great amount of advice given there. I guess thats what i had hoped this thread could have been. I have no idea what to call the spin off thread, maybe 'A thread for food photographers, no snap shots! maybe that could work.

I didn't say you were; I said that I sense arrogance from some, not specifically you. I tried to word my comments rather carefully and I'm sorry that you perceived it that way.

As for the other part of what you said, I say everything is a matter of perception.

And let's leave it at that I hope it's all good now. At least I hope so/
Have a great weekend. And I do admire your food shots!

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 03, 2016 01:02 |  #4940

Speaking only for myself, I feel the divide between "food photography" in the commercial sense and "food photography" in the look at this delicious meal I prepared was already split between two existing threads.

A) Post Your Food Photography - I see this as the place to post your food photos that are intended for a more commercial end result. Here I expect or hope for some Pro level food photography with some discussion regarding the prep, lighting and technique. There is some good content in here coming from members like Foodguy and DonJuan, they have posted some top notch imagery here from which I draw some inspiration, others as well. For myself, I am not posting here unless I am working on a project and or looking for advice. For most of my activity here (limited lately) I am more comfortably posting in the "Cooked and Photographed in You Home Kitchen" thread - see below.

B) Cooked and Photographed in You Home Kitchen - This is where I post more often as I am not a Pro but I am a good photographer and an even better cook. Posting here I hope will generate some discussion on the food it self, recipe sharing and then perhaps some discussion on the photography technique.

Just to stir the pot so to speak :twisted: I think DonJuan and Foodguy are too busy making money doing food photography to be bothered with understanding how to cook a good meal .... so I will be at Renat's or Gene's house for a Forth of July dinner ... whoever chimes in first + airfare etc :-)

All that said - I was pretty excited to see the food photography forum come to existence here - lets see if we can build it up!

Lupo

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,386 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 03, 2016 01:22 |  #4941

Lupo-Lobo wrote in post #18056499 (external link)
Speaking only for myself, I feel the divide between "food photography" in the commercial sense and "food photography" in the look at this delicious meal I prepared was already split between two existing threads.

A) Post Your Food Photography - I see this as the place to post your food photos that are intended for a more commercial end result. Here I expect or hope for some Pro level food photography with some discussion regarding the prep, lighting and technique. . . .

B) Cooked and Photographed in You Home Kitchen - This is where I post more often as I am not a Pro but I am a good photographer and an even better cook. Posting here I hope will generate some discussion on the food it self, recipe sharing and then perhaps some discussion on the photography technique.

That's one good place to draw the line, but it leaves out some photographic subjects. Given that I'm not a pro, where can I post raw food, purchased food (e.g., restaurant offerings), and still lifes featuring, for example, ingredients? I've started several threads for specific odd categories, but some things don't fit in any of them.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 03, 2016 01:39 |  #4942

OhLook wrote in post #18056506 (external link)
That's one good place to draw the line, but it leaves out some photographic subjects. Given that I'm not a pro, where can I post raw food, purchased food (e.g., restaurant offerings), and still lifes featuring, for example, ingredients? I've started several threads for specific odd categories, but some things don't fit in any of them.

I think/hope that by working together we can come up with some really creative imagery. There is nothing to prevent us from posting odd stuff, I look forward to what you post OhLook ... Gene also. Kind of jealous of his new grill. Which reminds me that I have to shop in the morning for grilling on the Forth ... ughh - need to clean the grill too!

Happy Forth folks!!!

Lupo

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,855 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 03, 2016 03:21 |  #4943

Lupo-Lobo wrote in post #18056499 (external link)
Just to stir the pot so to speak :twisted: I think DonJuan and Foodguy are too busy making money doing food photography to be bothered with understanding how to cook a good meal .... so I will be at Renat's or Gene's house for a Forth of July dinner ... whoever chimes in first + airfare etc :-)

All that said - I was pretty excited to see the food photography forum come to existence here - lets see if we can build it up!

haha now you have pushed me over the edge! i have been meaning to take pics of my Blue Apron meals that i have been cooking for the past year but never got round to it. Now to prove to you i can cook i will next week! i love cooking, my food portfolio needs some work too so this could be a nice update too.

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,246 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post edited over 3 years ago by Dan Marchant.

Jul 03, 2016 03:55 |  #4944

OhLook wrote in post #18056375 (external link)
A pic of dinner is literally food photography, though. The source of conflict, I think, is the difference between "food photography" and "food photography." Those who come for the former don't want to see the latter.

But isn't the purpose of a photography site to promote good photography? A photo of the backs of random people doing nothing interesting in a street is literally Street Photography.... but it's a bad photograph. Don't we have enough outlets for stream of conciousness/no quality control "this is what I'm doing right now" with Twitter and Facebook?

I posted a picture of my lunch today to a local FB group cos the members are interested in local restaurants. Is anyone else interested? I don't think so. I posted a photo of my bloody finger that I nearly sliced off whilst cooking last night to my FB friends. Neither of those image will be appearing here because they aren't good photos and, I believe, won't be of interest to people who don't know me/the restaurant.

I'm focusing on architectural and food photos at the moment. I have a load of both that will never be posted because I looked at them and identified problems that I felt rendered them "not good". If you post a photo here and then return later to explain why the light was bad or the composition wasn't interesting.... isn't that a discussion you should have had with yourself before posting?

And for the record I am not in any way a pro. I shoot food for fun.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 03, 2016 05:34 |  #4945

We should all have the expectation of intelligent and purposeful food photography in this group, and smart feedback should be the norm for all images posted here. We can simply do better than reveling in praise but making excuses for critiques. A quick snapshot of a casual home cooked dinner should be posted in "Cooked and photographed in your home kitchen" instead.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,985 posts
Gallery: 193 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by navydoc.

Jul 03, 2016 08:23 |  #4946

From the very first sentence in this thread's starting post: "Let's see some delicious home-cooked or restaurant food. Post all food that would make a viewer more hungry."

I suppose I took that to heart a bit too much by photographing my home-cooked food that I thought might make a viewer hungry.

I think I shouldn't have made light of my photo by mentioning that it was a quick photo because it was my dinner and I didn't want it to get cold. I did think it was above being 'just a snapshot' in that I thought it was well and evenly lit, bright and colorful, with interesting textures and arranged on the plate in a symetrical pattern. I focused on the details of the o'brian potatos using a shallow DOF rather than have everything on the plate in focus as an artistic choice. I think my photographic effort is just as valid as one that might by wildly crooked or unevenly lit as an artistic choice as well.

Next time, I'll use a nicer plate though. :-D

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,386 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 03, 2016 12:03 |  #4947

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18056555 (external link)
But isn't the purpose of a photography site to promote good photography? A photo of the backs of random people doing nothing interesting in a street is literally Street Photography.... but it's a bad photograph.

Yes, and there are photos like that in Urban & Travel. In fact, the photos in all the forums I follow have a great range of quality. I see blurry portraits, clichéd trees, and poorly lit nudes. The difference here is that (again, among just the forums I follow, which aren't nearly all of them) only in Food is it common to complain about images that don't meet one's standards. In other forums, unless a poster asks for C&C, mediocre shots usually get no comments.

Seeking to exclude images that aren't good enough for magazine covers isn't the only way to promote good photography. Another way to help is to make constructive comments on images by people who are at an early stage of learning. I don't have professional equipment or experience, but I pay attention to feedback given to myself and others. A viewer might wish to see only excellent work. That's understandable, but I doubt that it'll happen. There'll always be something to scroll past.

Don't we have enough outlets for stream of conciousness/no quality control "this is what I'm doing right now" with Twitter and Facebook?

What you mean "we," social-media man?

CyberCat
616 posts
Gallery: 132 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 03, 2016 15:08 |  #4948

I agree with DonJuan and Dan. A photography site is to promote good photography and help everyone who wants to develop. There are way too many snapshots recently with comments that reflect that the person who posted uses this forum like Facebook or Twitter.

CyberCat

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,985 posts
Gallery: 193 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 04, 2016 08:36 |  #4949

:-D

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 04, 2016 09:48 |  #4950

^ touché. ;-)a

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sponsored links

1,212,401 views & 2,772 likes for this thread
Post Your Food Photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.