Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2008 (Monday) 17:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1Ds Mark II Users

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 10, 2008 17:38 |  #1

I am about to purchase this camera and wondering what the high ISO (1600 and 3200) performance is like. Any inputs and some pics would be appreciated.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
cicopo
Goldmember
3,553 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 10, 2008 19:53 |  #2

IMAGE: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_z3rAnHnUjjY/SMXc_CzL2tI/AAAAAAAAQV8/1Vo2BHfmZFE/s800/VZ1Q7794.JPG
A crop from an ISO 3200 test shot in florescent light, 1Dsmkll and Canon 70-300 DO lens at 300 mm, 1/25 sec.

There's a full file JPG and the same shot from the RAW that you can download & inspect (very large files) here.

http://picasaweb.googl​e.com …ample?authkey=X​XjF_HzFcTI (external link)

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

David ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 10, 2008 20:08 |  #3

Thanks cicopo. It looks like it maintains excellent details at ISO 3200 if that is 100% crop. I go to the link you provided and don't see the image you attached here. I would like to open the RAW file with CS3.

How do you like it compared to your 1D Mark IIn and your 40D?

flickrexternal link

cicopo
Goldmember
3,553 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 10, 2008 20:20 |  #4

The RAW was converted to a JPG. I can't upload RAW files to that site. As for the 1Dsmkll vs my other bodies, which included a 5D when I bought it, IT'S AWSOME.
Take a look at message 458 here.
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=2965​47&page=31

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

shakyhand
241 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2008 22:17 |  #5

This is my next target body... Just got myself a 1Dmk2... can't believe the ebay price nowadays below $2500...

7D, 450D, EF17-40L, EF70-200/2.8L IS, 580EX, 550EX,..... Benro C-427 CF Tripod, Markin M10 Ballhead;

With all these gears, my photos still suck

David ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 11, 2008 19:30 |  #6

I agree. The prices are too good. I think I know what my next body is.

Looking around, I like the fact that the 1ds Mark II maintains great detail at high ISO at expense of heavy NR. ISO 1600/3200 is all I need so this is a perfect camera for me.

flickrexternal link

cicopo
Goldmember
3,553 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 11, 2008 20:21 |  #7

Having just read a big discussion about buffer & file transfer speed on the 1Ds3 I should point out that the 1Ds2 buffer fills quickly if shooting RAW + large fine JPG which I do, but it won't take me long to adjust to that. The other thing which caught me off guard & confused me for a bit was the fact it only writes to ONE card at a time, while my 1D2n writes to both. The 1Ds2 writes the RAW + the JPG to the same card, and you choose which one that is, BUT the 1D2n can be set for RAW to one card, and JPG to the other, OR RAW to both etc. Since the 1D2n is the newer body I guess that logical update was added since the cards were already there, and it makes for a true back up file system.
As for the smaller LCD I don't use it for much more than a quick glance to see if I think the exposure is close enough to tweak, either from the image or histogram. Having shot, processed, & printed film for the first 30 or so years of my hobby the ability to see the shot on the LCD part is a big bonus, no matter how big or small it is.

David ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 11, 2008 20:33 |  #8

Thanks for the input cicopo. I didn't know it can't write the RAW to one card and the jpeg to the other. Good to know.

Yeah, the LCD thing is not a big issue unless I have live view. I only use the LCD to check the histogram and might check the pics if I have some down time. Nothing to worry about.

flickrexternal link

sponsored links

1,180 views & 0 likes for this thread
1Ds Mark II Users
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.