Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Nov 2008 (Tuesday) 00:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pics of Thinktank Digital Holster + Pro Speed Belt?

tin.risky
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 11, 2008 00:07 |  #1

I've been needing a belt system for a while and I think I'm going to go with this setup plus a lens changer or two and a lightening fast. I just wanted to see if anyone had a picture of a similar setup on themselves. I'm relatively lean (some might say skinny), so I'm just worried about it looking too bulky. Thanks in advance for the help.

sponsored links
Blue ­ S2
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 11, 2008 00:57 |  #2

I have a few pictures of myself with this setup. I will post them in the morning when I get on my other system.

When i'm working, especially on construction sites, I use the Steroid Speed Belt, R U Thirsty, Large Drop In, Speed Changer, and a skin strobe. Occasionally I use the shoulder harness too if im fully loaded. I take only what I need, so sometimes I use it all, sometimes just a piece or two. I carry the camera in a UD bag or one of their holsters and then just "suit up" when im ready to shoot and leave the bag in the car.

I like the steroid belt for its better support when fully loaded. Having a 580ex in the holder, a water bottle, 24-105 in the drop in, a 15mm fisheye in the Changer, batteries, cellphone, etc...in the changer, Rapid Black Strap with a 5D and 70-200 and a pano-tripod...the belt setup is WAY better than a bag. I barely notice the weight. If I load that into a UD40 bag or similar, its very annoying to carry.

I'm 5' 9 and pretty lean as well. Its nice to have everything easily accessible quickly while shooting. Its nice to be able to bend down low without anything touching the ground. (especially if you are around dirt, mud, water or snow!) Its nice to be able to spin the belt around and redistribute the load instead of one shoulder being lopsided or a backpack full of inaccessible stuff!

Canon 5DmkII / Canon 5D / LifePixel IR 350D / L-glass
Brightscreen Screens & Mags / ReallyRightStuff gear / Singh-Ray filters
Read My Blog!! (external link) -- Visit My Website! : Ancient City Photography (external link)

turboturtle
33 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 11, 2008 01:53 as a reply to  @ Blue S2's post |  #3

Went to a wedding this weekend and the pro photographer had the think tank belt system. Here's some pics. Seemed to work really well. Thinking of getting one myself

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Riff ­ Raff
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 11, 2008 02:15 |  #4

tin.risky wrote in post #6663553 (external link)
...I think I'm going to go with this setup plus a lens changer or two and a lightening fast ... I'm just worried about it looking too bulky

I have no idea how I looked while doing it, but I can say that I've gone hiking for up to six miles wearing this setup (along with my normal CamelBak):

- Pro Speed Belt
- Digital Holster 40 (with 40D+Grip and mounted 16-35mm f/2.8L)
- Lens Changer 50 (with 85mm f/1.8 )
- Modulus Pouch (with keys, map, small rocket blower)
- R U Thirsty? (with extra water bottle)

I was also able to successfully scramble around and over rocks and such in a river area wearing that with no problem. And then I got rained on, with the built-in rain covers working great. I love it.

Shawn McHorse - Shawn.McHorse.com (external link) / AustinRocky.org (external link)
DSLR: 5D Mark III Compact: S100 Flash: 580EX II Bag: Tamrac Rally 5
Lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS,
50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8

Blue ­ S2
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 11, 2008 08:36 |  #5

I have attached the holsters before to the belt...I am not too fond of that normally though. It creates a major imbalance for me. Super heavy on one side when the camera is stored...and then it goes super light on that side and the other side becomes heavier when the camera is out.

I guess this isnt really a problem with the normal belt since you can shift everything around. With the steroid belt you can only go half way around.

Read My Blog!! (external link) -- Visit My Website! : Ancient City Photography (external link)

Blue ­ S2
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 11, 2008 09:21 as a reply to  @ Blue S2's post |  #6

http://apostolis.smugm​ug.com/photos/41488756​6_pmpAe-M.jpg (external link)

There is a shot with a medium load. (what I consider a medium load.) Decently light. I also have the harness attached...but hanging around the belt since I didn't really need it on my shoulders.

sOid
207 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 12, 2008 09:11 |  #7

Can anyone post pics of the system plus a 30 litre backpack?

Gear Flickr (external link) Photoblog (external link)

Blue ­ S2
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 12, 2008 09:51 |  #8

ThinkTank has a Rotation 360. That might be a good option if you need a backpack and belt system.

sOid
207 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 12, 2008 09:58 |  #9

Blue S2 wrote in post #6672312 (external link)
ThinkTank has a Rotation 360. That might be a good option if you need a backpack and belt system.

Thanks, but that isn't my cup of tea ;)

I'd like a belt system but it would be great if I can carry a (max) 30L backpack with it ocasionally. For when I'm hiking for a couple of days.

Blue ­ S2
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 12, 2008 10:37 |  #10

If you have a backpack, a smaller belt system like the Pro speed belt or Skin-system belt would be a good option if you stay lighter. Having just accessories and things needed to grab quickly on the belt would make a good solution. Filters, batteries, cards, cable release, tele converter, etc... Have all the big stuff in the bag.

sOid
207 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 12, 2008 12:02 |  #11

Blue S2 wrote in post #6672556 (external link)
If you have a backpack, a smaller belt system like the Pro speed belt or Skin-system belt would be a good option if you stay lighter. Having just accessories and things needed to grab quickly on the belt would make a good solution. Filters, batteries, cards, cable release, tele converter, etc... Have all the big stuff in the bag.

Yes I'm planning on buying the Skin-system anyway, but I'm not sure about which belt to get with it.

I want to put the following on the belt:
- 17-40L or 24-70L (maybe both)
- 580EX II
- 50mm 1.8 or 1.4
- Pouch for misc stuff like CF, batteries etc
- Pouch for body without lens which doubles as another misc pouch when I use the camera, 5DII btw (well, soon)

What would you advise me?

Blue ­ S2
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 12, 2008 12:45 |  #12

That really depends on personal comfort and body style. I personally think the skin belt would be too little for the weight. It may not offer the support or comfort. Thats my opinion however. I have both the pro speed belt and steroid speed belt. In different sizes in fact to go over coats or if I am just in jeans and a shirt.

I personally end up using the steroid belt 95% of the time. Its very comfortable. It supports the weight better and is easier to rotate when loaded up. The modular components go on a rail system and not the belt itself. I keep the harness attached but folded and placed in one of my accessory pouches. Often just the belt is enough. If I attach a holster to the belt, or I have more than two heavy lenses, I will pull the harness out. Generally, if I can fit it all in a UD30 or 40, I don't need a harness with it all on the belt.

The Pro belt has the accessory's flaps on the inside of the actual belt. Sometimes if you have an accessory on there pretty well, or its heavy and hangs, you will fumble with rotating the belt instead of just sliding that accessory around the belt since it the components are holding the entire belt.

With the steroid belt you can slide accessories easily around the belt, and then just as easily lift the belt and spin it around your waist. This helps if you are bending down or have to sit somewhere.

If the steroid belt seems too big for you, try the pro one out first. They are relatively inexpensive. Just remember to wear these around the hips and not the stomach.

sOid
207 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 12, 2008 12:53 |  #13

Blue S2 wrote in post #6673367 (external link)
That really depends on personal comfort and body style. I personally think the skin belt would be too little for the weight. It may not offer the support or comfort. Thats my opinion however. I have both the pro speed belt and steroid speed belt. In different sizes in fact to go over coats or if I am just in jeans and a shirt.

I personally end up using the steroid belt 95% of the time. Its very comfortable. It supports the weight better and is easier to rotate when loaded up. The modular components go on a rail system and not the belt itself. I keep the harness attached but folded and placed in one of my accessory pouches. Often just the belt is enough. If I attach a holster to the belt, or I have more than two heavy lenses, I will pull the harness out. Generally, if I can fit it all in a UD30 or 40, I don't need a harness with it all on the belt.

The Pro belt has the accessory's flaps on the inside of the actual belt. Sometimes if you have an accessory on there pretty well, or its heavy and hangs, you will fumble with rotating the belt instead of just sliding that accessory around the belt since it the components are holding the entire belt.

With the steroid belt you can slide accessories easily around the belt, and then just as easily lift the belt and spin it around your waist. This helps if you are bending down or have to sit somewhere.

If the steroid belt seems too big for you, try the pro one out first. They are relatively inexpensive. Just remember to wear these around the hips and not the stomach.

Thanks again.

After some research I think I'll buy this:
- Speed belt
- Pixel racing harness
- Skin 50
- Skin 75
- Skin Chimp Cage Pop Down
- Skin strobe

Would this work together with a backpack? This backpack by the way: http://www.pri.uk.com/​ksf/sabre35.html (external link)

I'm 5'11 and quite skinny (around 132 pound) (hey, I can't help it, it doesn't matter how much I eat :P ).

It would be best to try it out myself, but none of the sellers here in the Netherlands has any of them in stock vmad So thats why I want to know as much as possible about them from other people ;)

Also: I wear a belt for normal use too. Does it interfere with the Think Tank belt?

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 12, 2008 12:56 |  #14

I switched over to ThinkTank Changeup and for weddings--- extended shoots I add a skin chimp and 75 ---- it is a great setup for me--- has the belt system but with shoulder straps that keep it balanced and from falling down.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

Blue ­ S2
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 12, 2008 12:59 |  #15

im 5' 9" 130lbs and wear a studded belt. Works just fine. Since you are using the skin system, it might even be lighter and work out fine. Those components are definitely lighter!

The Skin strobe is awesome, I put my 580exII in it, and a large flash meter in the pocket infront of it! It holds both and closes fine!

The harness works better on the steroid belt as it has D rings for it. The Pro belt you just have to loop it through the locks. Works fine. I usually dont use a harness with the normal speed belt. Try it out and see. Also, read how to attach and adjust the harness carefully! I took me a few tries to get it right so it balances without hanging weird. It works a bit different than backpack straps I discovered!

sponsored links

5,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pics of Thinktank Digital Holster + Pro Speed Belt?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.