Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Feb 2005 (Monday) 08:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series speed challenge #3 - RESULTS!

teekay
Goldmember
2,901 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Feb 28, 2005 08:59 |  #1

Thanks to all who rose to my challenge and please forgive me if the following opinions don't agree with yours.

I looked for images that clearly indicated the passage of time to me - not merely age. Something that showed what was and what is now, or maybe what is now and what will be.

The winner is BOOYAH for his beautiful B&W image "Legacybandw2".

This wins hands down (sorry, couldn't resist that). It has immediate emotional impact, is well composed, and has succeeded in capturing a full range of skin tones - not an easy task. It stands on its own merits as a fine image, one that would look good on any gallery wall. Congratulations!

Second place goes to DON ELLIS and his Rolex.

This one wins for sheer ingenuity in capturing visually the actual ticking of time passing. Technically excellent, sharp focus, and again shows that B&W is sometimes best. Without his explanation, the background wouldn't have meant much, and in fact was slightly distracting, so maybe something else (faint images of watches?) would have been more appropriate. But it was still an easy choice for second place.

I have to say that I was rather disappointed in the rest, so choosing third place was more difficult, but I finally gave it to RICH LAWRENCE for his shot of daffodils showing the effect of the passage of time. I do think it could have been improved, however, if the highlights had not been burnt out on the main flower.

Comments on some of the others:

KC Jewel's image of the old theatre was full of nostalgia but was spoilt by being too dull and lifeless. Sorry, but a bit of processing to liven it up would have made it much better. I itched to work on it!

Paladin's blacksmith mural was a good sharp shot taking us back to the good old days, but for purposes of this challenge it really needed some modern cars in the picture to truly illustrate the passage of time. A bit of one car shows, but not enough.

Al606 - nice family photo of two generations, but they look rather uncomfortably posed, the composition could have been much better, and it just didn't immediately say "Passage of Time".

Pushtoexit - great romantic shot of the girl in the old dress but "passage of time" would be a stretch for a description. Would look maybe even better in sepia?

I won't offend any more of you but just have to comment on the shot of bus passengers by Monkey_Wrench.

It was not eligible because it was far too big (I did send a private message pointing that out, but without result), and looking at the EXIF info it may not even have been taken by a G-series camera, but it did make me think. Is this an image with deep meaning, or one that should have been deleted at birth? Something disturbing about this image but I'm not sure why.

Now over to you, BOOYAH, to set the next challenge before Tuesday midnight!

sponsored links
thefly
57 posts
Joined Feb 2002

Feb 28, 2005 10:40 |  #2

Congrats to all the winners!

Lee
~ Be the person your dog thinks you are. ~
http://www.flyfamily.o​rg (external link)

KC ­ Jewel
107 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 28, 2005 11:33 |  #3

Great challenge! The winners were definitely the winners. I'm excited to get to work on the next challenge. I'm learning more as each challenge goes by, keep up the feedback as it is a great tool to improve your ability. John

G6, 420EX, Converter W/filters, 2X Xtend-a-view, 45mm red dot speed sight with Photosolve Xtend-a-sight mount.

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Feb 28, 2005 17:22 as a reply to  @ KC Jewel's post |  #4

I agree completely with the winning choice teekay

congratulations Booyah
I thought as soon as I saw your picture that it was perfect
and told the real story
congratulations Don , your shot is really excellent.
and Rick . I loved the daffodils shown like it.
yesterday I thought these three shots especially were perfect in showing what was wanted.

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Raj
Goldmember
2,050 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 28, 2005 17:31 |  #5

Congratulations to all the winners :-)
I agree to the results too :-)
Very well judged !

Cheers

1DX, 5D, 20D with BG E2, Sigma EX DG 8mm F3.5 Circular Fish Eye, EF 15 mm f2.8 fish eye, EFS 10-22 mm f3.5-4.5, EF 24-70 F2.8 L mark ii, EF 24-105 f4 L IS, EF 16-35 f2.8 L , Sigma 35mm f1.4 A, 50 f1.8 mkII, 50 mm F1.2 L, EF f85mm 1.8, EF 100 f2.8 macro, EF 135 F2 L, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM, EF 70-200 f2.8 L, IS USM mark ii, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS, Sigma 18-125 f3.5-5.6 DC, APO 1.4x, G3, Cheapy Velbon Sherpa 435, Slick Carbon Fiber, Speedlite 430EX and 580EX with stofen OM-EW

Booyah
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 28, 2005 17:56 |  #6

WOW! -

I feel all warm and fuzzy. Thanks,Teekay, for the kind words. I am an amature photobug armed with my G3, a decent eye and a passionate enjoyment for capturing the moment. Sometimes the moment includes an emotion and sometimes the moment includes the simplicity of inanimate object or an abstract shadow on a textured surface. It's a truly wonderful feeling when something you have presented for critique is well accepted by those you respect. There is a little story behind this particular image. It was taken just two days before we lost our "Papa". At 89, Papa suffered from pancreatic cancer. He refused medical tratment for a number of reasons, mainly of which was just plain old crotchety stubbornness. (Is stubbornness a word?). He had only one tooth left and was extremely thin and weak. Papa absolutely refused to allow his picture taken. We had no pictures of him with his great grandchildren. This particular day I attempted to convince him to allow just one picture with his three grandkids. "No Way!" I asked if I could just take a picture of his hand with our youngest son's hand which he agreed to. I took this one and then five other full shots of him and the kids while he thought I was shooting only hands. I felt guilty for about two seconds until I looked at those precious pictures with the kids that we may have never had. Two days later he was gone. This particular image occupies a special place in our hearts and I thank you all for your appreciation of it also.

Stand by for part 2

Bryan

Pleave visit My Photo Gallery (external link) ------------ Please visit My Photo Blog (external link)
Canon G3, additional lenses and filters, passion and luck.

Booyah
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 28, 2005 18:13 |  #7

"Part 2" :(

I arrived at work today to find that I have been promoted from a shift leader to Field Training Supervisor. I am about to go from "one of the guys" to "one of the bosses". I don't yet know how much my schedule is going to be impacted but I do know that starting tomorrow, ten or twelve hours of the twenty-four available each day, will be spent learning how to manage sixteeen people. I don't want to go irresponsibly into organizing and judging the next challenge unless I can do it with a clear head and the same attention that the other judges have given. I would respectfully like to ask if Mr. Ellis would be so kind as to select the theme for the next challenge and judge it in my place. I will not post to any further challenges until I am ready to run one. I will, however, keep up with you all as time allows. I am sorry for any inconvenience. Thanks again for selecting my image and for all of the kind words.

Bryan

Pleave visit My Photo Gallery (external link) ------------ Please visit My Photo Blog (external link)
Canon G3, additional lenses and filters, passion and luck.

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001

Feb 28, 2005 19:14 as a reply to  @ Booyah's post |  #8

Booyah wrote:
"Part 2" :(

I arrived at work today to find that I have been promoted from a shift leader to Field Training Supervisor. I would respectfully like to ask if Mr. Ellis would be so kind as to select the theme for the next challenge and judge it in my place.

Congratulations, Bryan... you rat. :rolleyes:

I've often said that "winning" these challenges in a matter of coming in second so you don't have to host the next one. Sometimes even that doesn't work.

In honour of Papa, let's make this challenge "Old People" (as opposed to the politically correct "Seniors"). My sincere condolences on his passing. I sympathize with his desire to retain some control over his life, especially at the end. And I'm glad you took his photo... it will be something to treasure and remember him by.

Take care,

Don

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001

Feb 28, 2005 19:15 |  #9

Thank you, teekay... although I'm starting to believe coming in third is the way to go. :lol:

Thanks for all the hosting comments... that's always the toughest part of these challenges.

Cheers,

Don

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 28, 2005 21:05 as a reply to  @ Don Ellis's post |  #10

Congratulations to the winners! Booyah, that is an absolutely moving pic - and knowing the circumstances behind it makes it incredibly priceless. Don, and Rich, great work. Kudos to you too Teekay for running the challenge well. Paladin, I liked your pic, it showcases the ability of the G cameras to take detailed, sharp pictures. Needs a bit of cropping though.

Good work all!

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Mar 01, 2005 16:40 as a reply to  @ Booyah's post |  #11

Booyah wrote:
WOW! -

I feel all warm and fuzzy. Thanks,Teekay, for the kind words. I am an amature photobug armed with my G3, a decent eye and a passionate enjoyment for capturing the moment. Sometimes the moment includes an emotion and sometimes the moment includes the simplicity of inanimate object or an abstract shadow on a textured surface. It's a truly wonderful feeling when something you have presented for critique is well accepted by those you respect. There is a little story behind this particular image. It was taken just two days before we lost our "Papa". At 89, Papa suffered from pancreatic cancer. He refused medical tratment for a number of reasons, mainly of which was just plain old crotchety stubbornness. (Is stubbornness a word?). He had only one tooth left and was extremely thin and weak. Papa absolutely refused to allow his picture taken. We had no pictures of him with his great grandchildren. This particular day I attempted to convince him to allow just one picture with his three grandkids. "No Way!" I asked if I could just take a picture of his hand with our youngest son's hand which he agreed to. I took this one and then five other full shots of him and the kids while he thought I was shooting only hands. I felt guilty for about two seconds until I looked at those precious pictures with the kids that we may have never had. Two days later he was gone. This particular image occupies a special place in our hearts and I thank you all for your appreciation of it also.

Stand by for part 2

Bryan

thanks for saying about it Bryan

it is a most beautiful shot.

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

sponsored links

3,380 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series speed challenge #3 - RESULTS!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.