Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Nov 2008 (Saturday) 22:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1d Mk3 or 5d Mk2

Two
313 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 15, 2008 22:21 |  #1

I'm in need of a new body to replace my aging Rebel XT and am having a tough time deciding which way to go because I just don't have enough info.

I shoot mainly motocross (as a hobbyist) but also landscape and such. I
already have 3 'L' lenses.

And here's one of my main concerns: I'm having trouble (with my Rebel) tracking a
motocrosser with AI Servo whether or not I'm taking one shot or a sequence.
Especially when my composition does not place the rider in the center of
the frame.

Will the 5dMk2 allow me to compose a subject off center and still accurately
maintain focus? Will the 1dMk3? All this assumes I'm using good lighting
techniques, ie, not backlit.

Money is an object, but its more important to have something that I'm
happy with.

Help!

sponsored links
brianch
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 15, 2008 22:25 |  #2

i would go with the 1D Mark III. It is an amazing camera, even at higher sensitivities it performs great. If you lust the full frame, and the slightly better noise performance then get the 5D Mark II. You will be blasted away going from a Rebel to a EOS 1Ds Mark III.

Brian C - Alpha Auto Spa (external link)
5D Original
5D Mark II
EOS M

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 15, 2008 22:26 |  #3

Two wrote in post #6695286 (external link)

Given that you are shooting sports, I would lean to the 1D. I also have the 5D but it doesn't work the best for fast action, fast focus. Great for landscapes though.

I'm guessing you will find many threads on this subject.

Good luck.

:)

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

pickle1
209 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 15, 2008 22:49 as a reply to  @ westernminnguy's post |  #4

I own the MK3 and use it for just about everything - home snapshots to professional use.

I have to say that I am very satisfied with the camera and am impressed with its focusing ability and low lite capability.

But, I will be purchasing the MK2 a few months after they come out. Just looking for a full frame camera to get the full advantage of my wide angle lenses.

I very much like the simple layout of my MK3. It 's buttons are laid out for quick and easy access and it is great to use. I shoot a lot of sports and the controls seem like they are where I would put them.

Owner of Deevers Photography
Stop by and visit deeversphoto.com

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 15, 2008 23:23 |  #5

Because the motocross side of things is important to you I'd suggest you get the 1D M3.

It's a beautiful camera - I've had mine since January and been blown away by it's performance in all sorts of conditions.

Sometime next year I am to retire my 20D and get a 5D Mark II - I think that coupled with the 1D M3 will be a damned fine combination.

Black Shadow Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link) Twitter (external link)
Gear List Myspace (external link)

brianch
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 15, 2008 23:28 |  #6

blackshadow wrote in post #6695615 (external link)
Sometime next year I am to retire my 20D and get a 5D Mark II - I think that coupled with the 1D M3 will be a damned fine combination.

i agree.

5D Original
5D Mark II
EOS M

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 15, 2008 23:43 as a reply to  @ brianch's post |  #7

For what you described?
1D MKIII for sure.

silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,307 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 15, 2008 23:52 |  #8

Why not make a compromise....get the 5DMkII and a 50D. The 1dMkIII is 4K and both the 5D2 and 50D are about that much...:)

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

Blue ­ S2
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 16, 2008 00:06 |  #9

The 5D mkII has essentially the same or extremely similar AF as the original 5D. Its fast, and can track very, very well...using the center point or auto selection with the assists. Generally this is going to still be tracking based on center frame. The outside points will not help you, and they are really not that far off center. I love the 5D and am geared up for this next one...but I recommend the 1D if you need off center tracking.

Canon 5DmkII / Canon 5D / LifePixel IR 350D / L-glass
Brightscreen Screens & Mags / ReallyRightStuff gear / Singh-Ray filters
Read My Blog!! (external link) -- Visit My Website! : Ancient City Photography (external link)

brianch
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 16, 2008 00:32 as a reply to  @ Blue S2's post |  #10

my 1D tracks much better then my 5D in all aspects. The 1D III high ISO performance is very good if thats what the OP is worrying about. You will love the feel of the 1D bodies. Have you looked into used 1D mark III's?

5D Original
5D Mark II
EOS M

Goshawk
841 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 16, 2008 01:36 |  #11

I shoot motocross on occasion, important factors to you will be buffer and FPS for when the action gets fast and heavy. I do not think focus tracking with any modern EOS body will be a major problem as it is a fairly large target. Be aware of dust at the track. That is when two bodies is a must so that you do not have to change lenses in the dust. So maybe two 40D's/50D's/1D II's could be a better option when working in very dusty conditions except if you have enough money for two 1D III's. Believe me that dust is a major factor. Make sure to clean your equipment properly after the shoot on the outside before taking the lens off. Once inside that dust is very hard if not impossible to get rid of.

1D Mk III - 100mm 2.8 Macro - 24-70mm 2.8L - 70-200mm 2.8L IS - 500mm 4.0L IS - 430EX, 580EX II, ST-E2, Stroboframe, Quantum Turbo (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deonnaude/ (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deonnaude/ (external link)

I ­ Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer
6,496 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2005
Location: On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes

Nov 16, 2008 03:57 |  #12

Two wrote in post #6695286 (external link)
I'm in need of a new body to replace my aging Rebel XT and am having a tough time deciding which way to go because I just don't have enough info.

And here's one of my main concerns: I'm having trouble (with my Rebel) tracking a
motocrosser with AI Servo whether or not I'm taking one shot or a sequence.
Especially when my composition does not place the rider in the center of
the frame.

Will the 5dMk2 allow me to compose a subject off center and still accurately
maintain focus? Will the 1dMk3? All this assumes I'm using good lighting
techniques, ie, not backlit.

Money is an object, but its more important to have something that I'm
happy with.

Help!

Sport = 1D series

Simple;):D

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps  (external link) My Gear ---- (external link)

Two
THREAD ­ STARTER
313 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2008 08:34 as a reply to  @ I Simonius's post |  #13

Thanks for all the responses.

So, if I'm understanding this right and money was no object, the 1D is the ticket.

After struggling with my XT at for so long, I'm just paranoid that anything less
than the best is going to let me down. Would the 5DMK2 track better than my
old XT given everything else was equal? I understand that I'd have to use
center point AF.

Just to be sure, I am concerned with more than just tracking fast moving subjects.
Low light performance, high ISO IQ (the XT shows noise at 800 on a sunny day),
per pixel IQ, viewfinder comfort, burst mode FPS (6 is plenty), etc.

I've considered the dust issue. I don't have a problem at this point as I don't
change lenses during a shoot, yet. A back up body would be great, but that's
pushing the old checking account a tad too far.

Thanks again everyone!

kozmix
331 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 16, 2008 09:35 |  #14

Hey, i'm going to update my 20D and i'm also debating the same as you, but i tend to shoot a bit of everything. I don't wanna hijack your thread, but i thought that maybe this is better than open a new thread with the same subject. I hope someone can advise me also on this, and maybe help you out a bit more.

Lots of city shots, some photojournalism stuff, lots of stock, studio, landscapes (i use the 10mm of the 10-22 a lot!), and i've tried a few sports, birds on flight, etc. The af of the 20D only lets me down sometimes with bif when they get away from the center point with erratic movements, but anyway i get a few nice keepers. You can see some of my work on my web in the signature.

As for the op, if your main subject is motocross and if money is no object and you got a nice set of lenses, go with the 1D.

I'm debating between a used 1D3 and a 5D2. The problem with the 1D3 is the 1.3 crop for wide shots. I love my 10mm so much. I guess that's kind of stupid to spend 3000 and something € on a camera that doesn't satisfy me to the most. Anyway, one option could be get the 5d2 and stick with the 20D and upgrade that one later when i needed more reac or fps. Could be a very nice combo! Consider that also for you.

Ruben Vicente (external link)WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | TWITTER (external link)

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 16, 2008 15:40 |  #15

it has been said before,but for sports go with the 1D, especially if it is your only body. I shoot a lot of sports and am only getting the 5DII because I have a 40D for sports. Albeit, eventually will get the successor to the 1DIII.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

sponsored links

4,843 views & 0 likes for this thread
1d Mk3 or 5d Mk2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.