Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Nov 2008 (Wednesday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to shoot low key portraits?

mdw
486 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 19, 2008 13:12 |  #1

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand lighting set-ups for portrait photography.
I recently bought a Canon 430EX ll and I would like to get into shooting some low-key portraits.

But somehow I can't get the results I'm after. I hope someone can help me out and explain the set-up and rules... Unfortunately, I do not own a studio, softboxes, off-camera flash equipment etc. Just my 400D and a 430EX ll! :oops:

What I read is the following:

1. To make a background dark, you should get the light closer to the subject and get the subject further from the background.
  2. To minimize ambient light as much as possible you should use X-sync shutter speed.
  3. Use a black background
But what is the light 'they' are talking about in #1? Do they mean a flash or a constant light source (like a lamp or something)? A flash fills the whole room and subject.
Also the X-sync shutter speed I don't fully understand...

I do understand the black background though!! :lol:

Here are some low key portraits I'm after:

http://www.photofacts.​nl …trait_rodolphe_​simeon.jpg (external link)
Source: http://www.photofacts.​nl …trait_rodolphe_​simeon.jpg (external link)
http://farm1.static.fl​ickr.com …694754_0e4f5d39​a6.jpg?v=0 (external link)

Source: http://farm1.static.fl​ickr.com …694754_0e4f5d39​a6.jpg?v=0 (external link)

Roger
Copyright © PixelBalance Photography (external link)
My photos are not stock

Canon 50D l Canon 70-200mm f/4L l 50mm f/1.8 l Canon 100mm f/2.8 l Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI II LD

sponsored links
BBrat
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 19, 2008 13:31 |  #2

both photos look light they used 1 light. the first one the light (either spedlight or strobe) came in from the our right side and across the subject. The light source was set most likely at the side of the subject and slightly a little forward (45*ish to subject).

the second shot the same thing but from the other side. if you wanted a litlle more light on the darker side of the subject you could use a reflector.

hope i explained this correctly, if not please someone correct me.

Brian Gear List

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 19, 2008 13:57 |  #3

mdw wrote in post #6719039 (external link)
To make a background dark, you should get the light closer to the subject and get the subject further from the background.

1. To minimize ambient light as much as possible you should use X-sync shutter speed.
  2. Use a black background
But what is the light 'they' are talking about in #1? Do they mean a flash or a constant light source (like a lamp or something)? A flash fills the whole room and subject.

They mean the light you're using to illuminate your subject. It could be a studio strobe or a whal oil lamp. All light obeys the same laws of physics.

Getting the light closer to your subject makes it brighter, so you can use less light, or a smaller aperture. Either way, the background gets darker.

Also the X-sync shutter speed I don't fully understand...

X-sync is the fastest shutter speed you can use with flash, and is specific to the camera model. For the 400D, it's 1/200 second (it's in the shutter specs in the camera instruction manual).

Using X-sync speed, rather than 1/60 or 1/30 or whatever, reduces the ambient light contribution to the image without affecting the flash exposure.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 19, 2008 15:12 |  #4

In addition to what the others said, there is the issue you mentioned of a raw flash sending light everywhere, regardless of where it's positioned. There are various techniques for directing the light in a specific direction and not splashing over where you don't want it. Grids, snoots, barndoors, and others allow you to position the light and send it in the direction you want. That's important for this type of portrait too.

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

mdw
THREAD ­ STARTER
486 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 19, 2008 15:53 |  #5

Thanks for the input everyone!
Appreciate it!

I had a quick try at it using my 430EXll, Tamron 17-50mm and a silver reflector to bounce the light. The result (self-portrait, excuse the expression) doesn't 'pop' as the pictures shown above. Especially the light on the old man is harsh, but it therefore 'pops' (if you know what I mean...) :p

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i448.photobucke​t.com …xelbalance/IMG_​4799-2.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Roger
My photos are not stock

Canon 50D l Canon 70-200mm f/4L l 50mm f/1.8 l Canon 100mm f/2.8 l Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI II LD

EdBray
646 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 19, 2008 16:19 |  #6

The clue to most portrait lighting can be found in the eyes!

Look at the picture of the man, large catchlight in the eye plus a couple of smaller catchlights, now look at the catchlight in your eye, small spot.

I would suggest the man has been lit by a large strong lightsource which is mainly hitting him from his slightly front left, this is probably from an open door or large window, this gives a degree of additional light spilling onto his right cheek which although not as strong (due to fall-off) gives added depth and definition. I suspect the other catchlights are from additional windows in the room.

Now a self portrait whilst fun is not the best way to learn how to use lighting for dramatic effect. Neither is a stobe to be honest. It is much better to learn with available light and use reflectors and flags to control and direct the light before moving on to strobes and speedlights.

In your self portrait, whilst you have tried for dramatic lighting, the light source is too far to your right which does not allow the spill of light across your face to give depth and definition, it is also pretty much on the same plane, so the fall off is not so pronounced and therefore the contrast is not as high on the lit side of your face as the light on the old mans.

If you want to learn how to light different portraits, I would get yourself a model ( male is probably better than a female, they won't be so upset with some of your failed attempts), try to find a room with a large window (preferably with dark walls) get a couple of white reflectors (card will do) and a few bits of black card (for flags) and then practise at adjusting the light by moving the subjects position, controlling and moving the shadows with flags and reflectors and seeing what happens with the use of different camera positions relative to the light source and models position. Once you understand how to use available light, then, and only then, should you try the same thing with flash units (either studio or speedlights). this will be much more difficult as you have to actually take an image to see how the effect has come out.

Good luck and remember, good practise will improve your understanding and skills.

Canon EOS 5DMkII, Canon EOS 10D, Canon EF17-40L, Canon EF24L TS-E MkII, Canon 24-105L IS, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon EF 1.4x Extender MkII. Hasselblad 503CX, Hasselblad 500CM, Carl Zeiss 40mm, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm, 250mm For my epitaph: Do not let my wife sell any of my kit for what I've told her I paid for it! My Flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,306 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 19, 2008 17:16 |  #7

A light closer to the subject will take greater advantage of the Inverse Square law of falloff of light intensity.

4' to b/g is -2EV darker than 2' to subject (change -2EV, for 2' more distance)
5.6' to b/g is -2EV darker than 2.8' to subject (change -2EV, for 2.8' more distance)
8' to b/g is -2EV darker than 4' to subject (change -2EV, for 4' more distance)
11' to b/g is -2EV darker than 5.6' to subject (change -2EV, for 5.6' more distance)
16' to b/g is -2EV darker than 8' to subject (change -2EV, for 8' more distance)

See how the farther the light is from the subject, the greater the distance which is needed simply to achieve -2EV intensity falloff to the background?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Fellipe ­ de ­ Paula
438 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 19, 2008 17:20 |  #8

30 seconds post production and you have a pop'ed self portrait:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.fellipedepaula.com​.br (external link)

perfarny
389 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 19, 2008 17:58 |  #9

looks great. can you share the steps you took in PP?

Fellipe ­ de ­ Paula
438 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 19, 2008 18:21 |  #10

Sure... Just added contrast and brightness and then I duplicated the layer and applied Highpass filter. After that I just put this layer on softlight blend mode.

www.fellipedepaula.com​.br (external link)

Vonzen
117 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 19, 2008 20:49 |  #11

mdw wrote in post #6720158 (external link)
Thanks for the input everyone!
Appreciate it!

I had a quick try at it using my 430EXll, Tamron 17-50mm and a silver reflector to bounce the light. The result (self-portrait, excuse the expression) doesn't 'pop' as the pictures shown above. Especially the light on the old man is harsh, but it therefore 'pops' (if you know what I mean...) :p

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://i448.photobucke​t.com …xelbalance/IMG_​4799-2.jpg (external link)

did you use any modifier when you shot this photo?

Canon AE-1 w/ FD 50 1.8, Canon 7ne
Canon EOS 30D IR w/ BG-E2, 50D w/ BG-E2, 17-40L, 70-200 f4 L, EF-S 60mm macro, Metz 48, Sigma EF-500, G10
[FONT=Impact][I]Nikon D70, 18-55VR, Tokina 12-24
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/vonzen (external link) f (external link)lick (external link)r (external link)

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 20, 2008 00:29 |  #12

EdBray wrote in post #6720337 (external link)
The clue to most portrait lighting can be found in the eyes!...

That and everything else you stated, well written indeed EdBray! I'm learning that if I reposition light source or subject for better catchlights, contrast...it saves me significant time in Photoshop. Having played around with Photomatix, Topaz Adjust and Lucisart for portraits; it's MUCH easier if I get the lighting right before PP! :) :cool:

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

mdw
THREAD ­ STARTER
486 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 20, 2008 06:42 |  #13

Thanks all for the input!! :)

@ Edbray: thanks very much for the explanation.
I'll do some portraits tomorrow with a friend of mine (female though). Don't think they're going to be low-key, but the explanation will help a great deal!

@Fellipe: thanks for the edit. Looks a little hard though. I tried something myself as well. (see below)

@Vonzen: Nope, no modifiers, no diffuser. Flash bounced at silver reflector to camera left.

http://i448.photobucke​t.com …xelbalance/IMG_​4799-3.jpg (external link)

http://i448.photobucke​t.com …xelbalance/IMG_​4799-4.jpg (external link)

Roger
My photos are not stock

fotojoem
607 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 28, 2008 13:30 |  #14

what are flags? i have heard of them being metioned in may chats but I am unfamiliar.

Joe

EdBray wrote in post #6720337 (external link)
The clue to most portrait lighting can be found in the eyes!

Look at the picture of the man, large catchlight in the eye plus a couple of smaller catchlights, now look at the catchlight in your eye, small spot.

I would suggest the man has been lit by a large strong lightsource which is mainly hitting him from his slightly front left, this is probably from an open door or large window, this gives a degree of additional light spilling onto his right cheek which although not as strong (due to fall-off) gives added depth and definition. I suspect the other catchlights are from additional windows in the room.

Now a self portrait whilst fun is not the best way to learn how to use lighting for dramatic effect. Neither is a stobe to be honest. It is much better to learn with available light and use reflectors and flags to control and direct the light before moving on to strobes and speedlights.

In your self portrait, whilst you have tried for dramatic lighting, the light source is too far to your right which does not allow the spill of light across your face to give depth and definition, it is also pretty much on the same plane, so the fall off is not so pronounced and therefore the contrast is not as high on the lit side of your face as the light on the old mans.

If you want to learn how to light different portraits, I would get yourself a model ( male is probably better than a female, they won't be so upset with some of your failed attempts), try to find a room with a large window (preferably with dark walls) get a couple of white reflectors (card will do) and a few bits of black card (for flags) and then practise at adjusting the light by moving the subjects position, controlling and moving the shadows with flags and reflectors and seeing what happens with the use of different camera positions relative to the light source and models position. Once you understand how to use available light, then, and only then, should you try the same thing with flash units (either studio or speedlights). this will be much more difficult as you have to actually take an image to see how the effect has come out.

Good luck and remember, good practise will improve your understanding and skills.

Joe

fotojoem
607 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 28, 2008 13:33 |  #15

How did you do that? I like it!

Joe

Fellipe de Paula wrote in post #6720770 (external link)
30 seconds post production and you have a pop'ed self portrait:

Joe

sponsored links

28,174 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to shoot low key portraits?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.