Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Nov 2008 (Wednesday) 07:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wireless File Transfer

MarKap77
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2008 07:21 |  #1

I have been looking and looking for information on the Canon WFT-E3A Wireless File Transfer device. I recently bought a 50D and was just wondering.

When I do a search on the Canon USA website, I get some press releases that mention it, but nothing that even says it is still manufactured or sold. Anyone had any luck tracking one of these things down?

Thanks for any insight into this device.

Mark
My Gear List

"I don't travel to get to work, travel IS my work!

sponsored links
James ­ Salenger
Goldmember
1,681 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 26, 2008 07:51 |  #2

http://www.pcworld.com …ortby,retailer/​specs.html (external link)

Hope this helps.

Not an endorsement but I have had good luck with the second vendor on the list.

I may not be the village idiot, but I'll do until
he gets here.

MarKap77
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2008 08:01 as a reply to  @ James Salenger's post |  #3

Thanks, James, but I was looking for specifications and features information. I'm just surprised that I can't find it on Canon's website.

Mark
My Gear List

Ron ­ Lacey
Goldmember
1,238 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 26, 2008 08:01 |  #4

It's still being manufactured and you canbuy one at B&H (external link)or order it from your local camera store.

I have one and it works fine on the 50D.

Ron

Ron Lacey, Skwerl Wrangler and Deer Whisperer
Boreal Photography (external link)
FlickRiver (external link)
Bodies, Lenses, strobes and pixels!

MarKap77
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2008 08:27 as a reply to  @ Ron Lacey's post |  #5

Ron, thanks. But again, I am looking for specification and features information on this device. Anybody got a link to Canon's website (or anyone else's for that matter) that gives details on it? All I find when I Google it is places that are selling it, unless I missed something.

Mark
My Gear List

Ron ­ Lacey
Goldmember
1,238 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 26, 2008 09:34 |  #6

This site (external link) has a review and list of features.

Baically it will allow you to transmit files from the camera via a wi fi network or LAN, allow you to operate the camera including focus and live view from a computer, again Wi fi or LAN. As well you can connect a USB hard drive to the camera to use in lieu of a memory card or to transfer files and connect a compatible GPS for geo tagging. It's also the only grip that includes the AF On button.

Ron

Ron ­ Lacey
Goldmember
1,238 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 26, 2008 09:39 |  #7

Ron Lacey wrote in post #6762768 (external link)
This site (external link) has a review and list of features.

One thing on that page is incorrect, it says "Can’t port-power a 2.5in portable hard disk." Mine does indeed power a 2.5 USB hard drive, a 160 gig Maxtor. If you connect a hard drive to it it has to be formatted FAT32.

Ron

MarKap77
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2008 10:18 as a reply to  @ Ron Lacey's post |  #8

Ron,

Thanks for the link, I had found it myself, but didn't click it on Google. Don't really know why, other than that I am an idiot. Go figure.

So, is this a really useful tool, or just a gadget? I frequently use my battery grips on my cameras and like having the increased size and weight. It just seems better balanced. And of course, using it in portrait orientation is the bomb. Can you share some thoughts on this with me?

Thanks

Mark
My Gear List

MarKap77
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2008 10:19 |  #9

Ron Lacey wrote in post #6762793 (external link)
One thing on that page is incorrect, it says "Can’t port-power a 2.5in portable hard disk." Mine does indeed power a 2.5 USB hard drive, a 160 gig Maxtor. If you connect a hard drive to it it has to be formatted FAT32.

Ron

Interesting. I understood the website to say that it would provide a small amount of power and could handle something like a USB flash drive, but that it didn't have the umph to power a 2.5 inch hard drive. Guess yours has lower power requirements than the one they tested.

Mark
My Gear List

Ron ­ Lacey
Goldmember
1,238 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 26, 2008 10:45 |  #10

MarKap77 wrote in post #6763067 (external link)
Interesting. I understood the website to say that it would provide a small amount of power and could handle something like a USB flash drive, but that it didn't have the umph to power a 2.5 inch hard drive. Guess yours has lower power requirements than the one they tested.

Actually though I've never tried it I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't compatible with flash drives.

Anyway yes my experience is it will power a 2.5 inch usb drive. I only did this once in the field but I was photographing ice racing at sub zero temerpatures and completed a couple of hours of shooting without killing the battery.

As to how useful a gadget it is I guess that's subjective. It is expensive and I could live without it. I don't use it with a hard drive much since these days large CF cards aren't too expensive and carrying around a hard drive tethered to the camera is a bit awkward. I do like the geo tracking with my GPS but again there are more inexpensive options these days. Probably the most use I get out of it is in the studio with live view and computer control. As well it's nice to come home from a shoot and press a couple of buttons on the camera to start a wireless transfer to my computer while I go to the fridge and get myself a beer :).

Ron

MarKap77
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2008 14:12 |  #11

Ron Lacey wrote in post #6763190 (external link)
......p..ress a couple of buttons on the camera to start a wireless transfer to my computer while I go to the fridge and get myself a beer :).

Ron

And that feature alone is worth the price of admission! LOL

Thanks, Ron. I think I'll check with the local guys and see if they have one in stock. Appreciate the help.

Mark
My Gear List

sponsored links

2,041 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wireless File Transfer
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.