Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Nov 2008 (Thursday) 06:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

from 40D : 5Dmk2 or not ?

cherrymoon
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 27, 2008 06:56 |  #1

Got my 40D for 1 year now. I'm very happy with it. Here is the deal coming for the end of the year : switching body or new lens ? Since my lens collection is "FF ready", i'd like to switch for the new 5Dmk2 but i'm afraid of one thing : only 3,9fps, instead of 6,5 for 40D. Is that so annoying ? The 40D is so nervous !

I find my 40D AF not so precise (for wide apertures). Will 5Dmk2 AF improve this ?

Another argument is that i'm dreaming of 85L but my 40D is one of the first produced and i'm afraid it'll be suffering about the drainning batteries issues. Hope that this problem won't exist on 5Dmk2.

Last but not least : will i have better sharpness and OOF effect with my lenses on FF ?

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

sponsored links
HKGuns
Goldmember
1,771 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 27, 2008 10:08 |  #2

I would recommend doing what I am....Keep that excellent body and buy better glass.

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 27, 2008 10:42 |  #3

i have a 40D and also have a MKII on order, I dont have any issues with mine with sharpness / oof and those lenses you have are usually pretty sharp, you sure your using proper shutter speeds and the problem is not because of shake / motion blur?

the only downside for the MKII for me is the crop factor I like birding and even with the 400 and the 40D its still not long enough :(

hence why I plan both :) I had the original 5D but decided to upgrade to the MKII

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 27, 2008 10:45 |  #4

The "5" series is not the place to go if you are looking for autofocus upgrades.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 27, 2008 10:50 |  #5

cherrymoon wrote in post #6768048 (external link)
...i'd like to switch for the new 5Dmk2 but i'm afraid of one thing : only 3,9fps, instead of 6,5 for 40D.

I've got the same thought.

I'm not a pro, but I'm always intrigued by expensive new technology. :) My concern is when I take sports shots. Again, not pro, but still...

Some say 3.9 is fine for sports. Others say no way.

Who knows...  ???

40D and a whole bunch of lenses
Canon 430EX, Kenko 1.4x, Domke F-3X, F-5XB, Zeikos grip
Zenfolio Discount Code: YGK-8U7-1GG (external link)

cherrymoon
THREAD ­ STARTER
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 27, 2008 11:21 |  #6

This is really a bad news :(

TheHoff wrote in post #6768840 (external link)
The "5" series is not the place to go if you are looking for autofocus upgrades.

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

beepclick
Goldmember
1,850 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 27, 2008 12:34 |  #7

I would keep your 40 D and get the 5D mark II. you've already got some very nice glass.

You can use your 40 D for sports with its better reach, nine cross type focus points and frames per second. The Mark II should be awesome with all your lenses. People pooh-pooh the video, but I think it will turn out to be a big hit. You could shoot sports in video with the 5D on a tripod and take stills with your 40 D.

do a Google search for 5D and sports, people are using it for that, but the general consensus is, as TheHoff said, it's not ideal for that.

Let us know what you decide

Gear https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=635450

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,959 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 27, 2008 12:41 |  #8

SoundsGood wrote in post #6768865 (external link)
I've got the same thought.

I'm not a pro, but I'm always intrigued by expensive new technology. :) My concern is when I take sports shots. Again, not pro, but still...

Some say 3.9 is fine for sports. Others say no way.

Who knows...  ???

High frame rates are only "required" if you don't know the sport you are shooting enough to know how to time shots. Whether at 8 fps, 12, 6 or 3, there is only one shot that is the real keeper. In the short term, high fps will give you a bump in "keepers", but in the long term it does little. That said, the 5D is not a camera designed around sports.

And that brings up another issue. Depending on the sport you shooting, the loss of reach can have a significant impact on the shots you can get. Your keeper rate will be much higher if you can fill the frame rather then hoping to crop a 21 mpx image down. Sure you can do it, but your AF is going to have to be a lot better to match... and nothing about the 5D mk II tells me it is.

It is a very promising camera, but if your a sports shooter, a used MkII N will give you much more bang for the buck.

SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 27, 2008 12:56 |  #9

Croasdail wrote in post #6769314 (external link)
High frame rates are only "required" if you don't know the sport you are shooting enough to know how to time shots. Whether at 8 fps, 12, 6 or 3, there is only one shot that is the real keeper. In the short term, high fps will give you a bump in "keepers", but in the long term it does little. That said, the 5D is not a camera designed around sports.

And that brings up another issue. Depending on the sport you shooting, the loss of reach can have a significant impact on the shots you can get. Your keeper rate will be much higher if you can fill the frame rather then hoping to crop a 21 mpx image down. Sure you can do it, but your AF is going to have to be a lot better to match... and nothing about the 5D mk II tells me it is.

It is a very promising camera, but if your a sports shooter, a used MkII N will give you much more bang for the buck.

Hmm... kinda sounds like staying with the 40D is the way to go.

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 27, 2008 14:10 |  #10

Having both is a great idea for me :)

For me I will have both in my bag once a little calm has covered the playing field on the 5DII.

In your case I think glass might be in your best interest, maybe more bats too. :)
Maybe upgrade to the 70-200 2.8 non-is (If you prefer it that way) and get your 85L then sell the old 85 1.8 and 70-200 F4.

Also if you dont find IS to be of any use to you then ditching the 24-105mm for a 24-70 2.8 might be better for you too.

Good luck with your choices.

-Eric-

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

Dragos ­ Jianu
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 27, 2008 15:07 |  #11

Lets see... 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L You have a perfect lens setup...for a full frame body :)

I'll have to go against the common wisdom "glass over body". In your particular case, the body upgrade would be more significant, both in terms of IQ and low light work, to a lens upgrade. Simply because you have very good glass to begin with.

FPS....only you can tell if it would be annoying to have anything less then 6.5 so, do you ever even shoot bursts?
AF.... I wouldn't worry about it. The 5D has a very precise AF system, especially the central point. That plus AF micro adjustment should not leave you lingering after the 40D.

SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 27, 2008 18:21 |  #12

Dragos Jianu wrote in post #6769840 (external link)
Lets see... 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L You have a perfect lens setup...for a full frame body :)

Why do you say that?

(I have a similar lens setup so I'm curious)

Al ­ Hung
105 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 27, 2008 19:22 |  #13

Wow, you read my mind with this post - I find myself in exactly the same boat. I've had my 40D for about a year, very happy with it and I love the high FPS (for shooting auto racing). However I've been considering moving up to a FF for a few reasons, including the 85mm f/1.2L. I've decided not to pull the trigger on one yet due to the battery drain issue with our 40D's, and because it looks like you won't get the full creamy bokeh effect on a crop body that you would on a FF. However, I'm left wondering if the 5D mkII is worth the price over a used 5D mkI.

I'm seriously considering selling the 40D + 17-55 to fund a used 5D mkI + 85L. Will I miss the FPS of the 40D? Possibly. But I want to do more than just shoot auto racing, and in other areas the 5D + 85L seem to be the better choice.

Dragos ­ Jianu
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 28, 2008 00:32 |  #14

SoundsGood wrote in post #6770531 (external link)
Why do you say that?

(I have a similar lens setup so I'm curious)

Well, because
24-105 becomes nice and wide, a more useful all-around range
70-200 When I owned it and used it with my 20D, I've always wished it was wider. Having 70mm rather then 110 makes it more useful, at least for my preference.
Also, I much prefer the 85on FF versus the 50 on APSC for portraits. It's a better lens. And the 85 would no longer be that long, rendering it more useful indoors. While the 50mm would become a much nicer and wider standard lens.

I prefer normal FLs to tele, so at least by my preference all those lenses would be much more suitable on a 35mm body.

SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 28, 2008 09:29 |  #15

Dragos Jianu wrote in post #6772060 (external link)
Well, because
24-105 becomes nice and wide, a more useful all-around range
70-200 When I owned it and used it with my 20D, I've always wished it was wider. Having 70mm rather then 110 makes it more useful, at least for my preference.
Also, I much prefer the 85on FF versus the 50 on APSC for portraits. It's a better lens. And the 85 would no longer be that long, rendering it more useful indoors. While the 50mm would become a much nicer and wider standard lens.

I prefer normal FLs to tele, so at least by my preference all those lenses would be much more suitable on a 35mm body.

Ahh, gotcha. Definitely a matter of opinion (as you stated), as I tend to prefer the long end of the stick. :)

sponsored links

2,177 views & 0 likes for this thread
from 40D : 5Dmk2 or not ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.