Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 29 Nov 2008 (Saturday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BFFs

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 29, 2008 09:19 |  #1

My daughter's friend visited for Thanksgiving... So we took some veryimpromptu shots... C&C welcome. A few things I think could be improved: 1) we were a little late in the afternoon so the shadow of trees behind me were cast high across the background. 2) the dog's sweater could be straightened. 3) Maybe a tad more light on the girls. 4) perhaps place them closer to one side or the other. :) 5) the illusion the horizon isn't straight, but it's actually the pond's shape... So many things to nit pick. So little time.

IMAGE: http://thewolfords.com/2008Xmas/images/BAW_0824.jpg

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

sponsored links
azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 29, 2008 09:22 |  #2

i think it looks pretty good. maybe just a slight bump on the exposure.

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 29, 2008 13:16 |  #3

A very nice photo. It just needs a little work and you get can the girls' faces brighter with a curve adjustment. And your photo is rotated by about 3 degrees even though the shape of the pond throws the horizon off some. But you can tell the trees in the background in your original are leaning quite a bit to the right.

Attached is my version rotated 3 or 5 degrees (can't remember) degrees cropped and curve adjustment.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 29, 2008 22:12 as a reply to  @ HappySnapper90's post |  #4

That is much better. I hadn't done much with the photo before I cropped it. Slightly sharpened and some boost, but yours does bring out the faces much better. Thanks!

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,337 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 29, 2008 22:15 |  #5

Fill flash wold have helped here too. Otherwise, not bad for an informal session.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

acchildress
986 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 30, 2008 09:58 |  #6

In the revised version the lighting is better but they are now leaning. I don't think it needed any rotational correction in the original.

Come be a big fish in a little pond, help build
theanswerjar.com  (external link)

Zazoh
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 30, 2008 10:10 |  #7

Given the situation, nothing at all wrong with the first shot, other than the nits you already pointed out, but in the grand scheme, nice shot.

A Camera - A Lens -- Gear Doesn't Matter

rmr21
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 30, 2008 10:27 as a reply to  @ Zazoh's post |  #8

Not bad at all. I like the colors.

Esquire
309 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 30, 2008 10:56 as a reply to  @ rmr21's post |  #9

Nice shot. I really like the sunlight highlighting the background. It renders the trees and their changing colors with a nice dappled effect. I know this was one of your crits, but I thought it was a nice attribute. The only other thing I noticed, which you picked up on was the apparent horizon tilt, due to shape of pond. I would try a little straightening to see if it softened the tilt so that it was less noticeable.

Canon EOS 5D, Various and Sundry Accoutrement
www.davidnbryan.com (external link)

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 30, 2008 22:06 |  #10

acchildress wrote in post #6784435 (external link)
In the revised version the lighting is better but they are now leaning. I don't think it needed any rotational correction in the original.

and it lost a lot of sharpness...lots of artifacts on the revision?

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

reefergal
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 30, 2008 22:31 |  #11

I think it is a nice picture.

BLINN
587 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 01, 2008 10:49 |  #12

Personally I think it's a great shot.

MBCL Photography
Michael Blinn
Your Eye's the Limit:cool:
http://mbclphotography​.com (external link)

RogerAylstock
797 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 01, 2008 11:18 |  #13

Naturalist wrote in post #6782424 (external link)
Fill flash wold have helped here too. Otherwise, not bad for an informal session.

Humm, I see catchlights in their eyes. I think there was some fill flash. Nice holiday pic!

Roger
Canon 7D, Canon 24-105 F4L, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ISL, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon 50mm 1.4,
Sigma 105mm DG Macro, Canon 1.4x Teleextender, Canon 580EX II Flash.
VintageCreekPhotograph​y (external link) Facebook (external link)

Rascalphoto
380 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 01, 2008 13:15 |  #14

I think it's a great photo, and definitely worth a little extra effort in PP. So I did. Just a couple of minutes to adjust white balance, curves, saturation. Hope you like it, I'm sure you could do so much more with the full res image.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Randy
http://fosterphotograp​hix.smugmug.com/ (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 06, 2008 22:42 |  #15

acchildress wrote in post #6784435 (external link)

The original did need rotating. You can clearly see both girls leaning to the right in it. Plus tree trunks in the background are leaning to the right, and the ripples in the water are also skewed a bit. Both their heads in the original are leaning to the right which is probably unlike how they really were. Most people's heads would be tilted towards each other.

My view: the girl holding the dog would be standing straight up not being able to lean or anything, but the girl on the right is trying to lean a little to get closer to the dog which my version has her doing.

sponsored links

1,812 views & 0 likes for this thread
BFFs
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.