Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Dec 2008 (Monday) 11:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70, same ol story

single_track
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 01, 2008 11:38 |  #1

Frustrating but somewhat expected, I purchased a 24-70L that turned out to be a bit too soft, especially wide open. I am reasonably confident that my comparison tests were not user error (solid tripod, manual and AF, MLU, etc.). When testing it prior to purchase, I found it to be soft or mis focusing but it was their only model and I wanted to better test under controlled conditions. I expected to buy and return/replace if not satisfied. My tests knowingly pitted it against some tough competition (70-200/f4 IS and my nifty) as well as a lens it should have outperformed (17-85 IS). The 70 was not horrible but not quite right.

I bought it locally so I could easily replace and send out for repairs. The dealer has been very understanding thus far, knowing the issues and potential for this to happen. They ordered two units so I can select the best. They will also return to canon if need be for calibration. I expected this but still wanted this lens for my 5d and 40d.

I used it over thankgiving for family shots. Handling, focal range and speed was great on the 5d. The attached 100%'er shows the focal plane to be aligned with the sweater slightly infront of her eyes (hand held and I think I recomposed). The sweater is relatively sharp but not great, IMO. This is one of the sharpest 2.8 shots taken this day. I am not saying this is horrible, just not as good as it should be. Also, I regognize the 'learning curve' of a fast lens and the DOF is about 4" in this shot. Shutter speed was pretty quick at 1/200 (ISO 800).

I can't wait to get this behind me, get my lens back and enjoy my new toy. I hope I say it was worth it a month from now.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I always want C&C on my shots.
Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/120400139@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links
Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 01, 2008 12:38 |  #2

Personally I think it's best to just send the original puchased lens in for calibration and not play the swapping game. The vast majority of 24-70's are good so it's just due time until you get one you're happy with. Plus it's such a great lens...

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

single_track
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 01, 2008 13:00 as a reply to  @ Mr. Clean's post |  #3

Thanx, I agree and is what I originally wanted to do, except the unit I bought has a tight focus ring at the wide angle. Moves easy at longer lengths but is tougher to turn when wide. I thought I could get used to it but it drove me crazy for the couple days that I had it. I held other 24-70's before that did not do this.

I was wondering how many who owned this lens have the same focal length resistance issue.

If it was not for the sticky ring, I would have simple sent it in for calibration.

Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII

Papa ­ Carlo
587 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 01, 2008 15:26 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

single_track wrote in post #6791894 (external link)
Thanx, I agree and is what I originally wanted to do, except the unit I bought has a tight focus ring at the wide angle. Moves easy at longer lengths but is tougher to turn when wide. I thought I could get used to it but it drove me crazy for the couple days that I had it. I held other 24-70's before that did not do this.

I was wondering how many who owned this lens have the same focal length resistance issue.

If it was not for the sticky ring, I would have simple sent it in for calibration.

The tight ring will loosen up sooner than you realize.
Yes it looks like your lens is frontfocusing. Just to relieve you I have never bough a lens that was exactly correct out of the box.

The only lens that focused correctly is 28-135 that came in a kit with a camera. 17-85, 17-55, 70-200/2.8L IS and 24-70/2.8L all had some amount of front focus and had to be sent to Canon. Those guys really should take their acts together do some changes in their QC department.

So there is no guarantee that you will get better lens on the second round.
Yes some change four lenses before buying or not buying at all but I am not convinced that anything would satisfy such buyers at all.

queenbee288
Cream of the Crop
5,610 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 01, 2008 17:49 |  #5

I am not saying that your lens is not soft but the photo you posted has some exposure, white balance and noise problems all of which will make it look soft in itself. To do a good test of sharpness put some good light on your subject.

Bruce_Bird
995 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 01, 2008 18:35 |  #6

queenbee288 wrote in post #6793429 (external link)
I am not saying that your lens is not soft but the photo you posted has some exposure, white balance and noise problems all of which will make it look soft in itself. To do a good test of sharpness put some good light on your subject.

... and I though it was just my eyes.. glad someone else saw that in the photo...

- Bruce -
- Langwarrin Victoria -
- Gear List -

single_track
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 01, 2008 20:54 |  #7

queenbee288 wrote in post #6793429 (external link)

Agree, what I posted was just a grab shot w/o any PP. Separately, I tested the 24-70 lens on 2 different bodies, well lit and firmly mounted for iso 100 shots. I compared the results against my knowns (17-40, 70-200, 17-85 and 50 1.8). I did not keep these tests shots to post - I should have kept them to show you.

Thanks for you help.

single_track
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 01, 2008 21:02 as a reply to  @ single_track's post |  #8

Also, I exported using the save for web in CS4 at low quality which seemed to screw up the quality (noise and funky colors). Still learning.

Jmantyger
296 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 01, 2008 22:46 |  #9

Similar to my 24-70. Sent it to Canon and they found the "mechanical chassis lose" and re-calibrated it. Sent it to them on a Monday and received it back that Friday-sharp as a tack.

5D MKIII, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L II f/2.8 IS, 100-400L II, 430 EX III
Feedback

single_track
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 02, 2008 22:07 as a reply to  @ Jmantyger's post |  #10

24-70, same ol story

Got back tonight after picking up my new 24-70. After returning my soft copy, the store ordered 3 more for me to test. 2 proved to be very sharp while the third seemed to match my original version. This was discovered while I did side by side tests, in the store with my 5d, PC and tripod.

My original was wasted by my 70-200, 17-40, nifty and even my 17-85. My new version holds its own against my 70-200 and is sharper than my 17-40.

A quick shot of my dog, with a 100 percent crop.

I think I will love my brick.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

1,749 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70, same ol story
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.