Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 02 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What bracket do you guys use?

frule
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 02, 2008 16:33 |  #1

I've tried too many "diffusers" and want to try a bracket.Suggestions?I'​d prefer a camera flip style.Thanks!

sponsored links
davidgr
147 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 02, 2008 23:35 |  #2

Check out Custom Bracket. I use the 35-EV. It can be a bit bulky for some, but it works for me (and I'm bigger than it is).

David
Canon 20D & 30D, EF 28-80, EF 75-300, 17-35L, 24-70L and 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 8x1GB Sandisk Ultra II CF, Quantum T5D flash on a Custom Bracket 35-EV powered by a 80W DigitalCameraBattery. Sekonic L-358 light meter.
Older Elan IIe (you remember the film days, don't you?)

Bubble
Goldmember
3,382 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 02, 2008 23:43 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

try a few and very happy with RRS B85-B. It cost quite a bit but it pays off everytime when you're on your job. Check out the review:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=544273

Canon 5D II, 7D | 16-35L II | 24-70L | 24-105L | 50L | 85L II |  iMac 27 | Redrock Micro DSLR Cinema Bundle | Elinchrom Ranger RX-AS Kit| Elinchrom Digital Style 1200RX/600RX | Turbo SC |

viet
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 03, 2008 01:18 |  #4

I've used most of the brackets from home made, to stroboframe to RRS, and the one I like most is none. Haven't used a bracket for around 3 years now and feel loads lighter.

Same with flash mods, haven't used one for too long and been bouncing ever since. You can get pretty creative with bounced flash.

If you really want to try a bracket, get a camera-rotating stroboframe to see how you like it. Can be bought for around 60-70 bucks, and if you are bored, sell it and try something else. But I guarantee you if you learn to bounce, you'll be very happy & save a lot of money.

One other thing, before, it took a few minutes to get my gear together with all the mumbo-jumbos. Now, I just grab a camera & a flash and I'm set to go.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,280 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 03, 2008 05:54 |  #5

Newton makes some great Camera Flip as well as Flash Flip brackets frule. They are some of the most compact, and lightweight brackets. They are also very expensive and approach $300 when you get extra little attachments. This is mine:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=338933

Custom also makes an excellent bracket, but some - myself included - feel they are a bit large and cumbersome. But then I have average size hands. Others love these. It's a very personal item. Viet makes an excellent suggestion regarding one of the Stroboframe models. They are pretty decent and can be had for less than $100, and will hold up ok as long as you don't stress them too much. The Newtons and Customs are designed for wedding pro's with long days, which is why they cost so much.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

SamClarkPhotography
611 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 03, 2008 11:36 |  #6

I recently walked in your shoes debating a bracket. I went with the Newton and LOVE it! Check out my thread on it with photos of it on a 40D.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=605219

Gripped XSi . Canon 18-135 IS (external link) . 055XPROB Manfrotto (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,280 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 03, 2008 11:38 |  #7

Nice work on those photos Sam - illustrates the bracket's function quite well. A very worthy addition to our "Bracketology.":D

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

SamClarkPhotography
611 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 03, 2008 12:21 |  #8

Woohoo!

Gripped XSi . Canon 18-135 IS (external link) . 055XPROB Manfrotto (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 03, 2008 16:27 |  #9

I haven't used a bracket in two years - they're only useful if you use a lot of direct flash inside, which I don't do.

Brackets and diffusers are completely different.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

SamClarkPhotography
611 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 03, 2008 20:05 |  #10

Unfortunately (DON'T TELL MY WIFE:~(), I kinda see myself being weened from the bracket as I progress my off-camera flash knowledge and experience. However, the bracket is very handy for bouncing and redirecting my light, and it's even better with my homemade "a better bounce card feather light" (I could post photos of it or visit the webpage here: A Better Bounce Card .com (external link)), which I really like!

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 05, 2008 12:06 |  #11

I also stopped using a bracket quite a while ago. Good control of bounce flash and off camera use works better than my direct fired flash from any advanced super awesome bracket.

Though I do use a tiny little bracket to mount my pocketwizard on my camera though.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

F4 ­ Cyborg
952 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 18, 2008 00:31 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Really Right Stuff has a nice unit. ( Wedding Pro Bracket) It's weighs next to nothing, one hand fast flip, Easy on ... You can use it. Take it off in seconds flat, fold it, put it in your pocket (that alone sold me on it). I can slip it on either or my 5D's faster than changing a lens.

Cyborg: part Man, part Machine (the machine gives a hoot!)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 18, 2008 00:41 |  #13

I don't agree with this:

tim wrote in post #6807068 (external link)
I haven't used a bracket in two years - they're only useful if you use a lot of direct flash inside, which I don't do.

But I do agree with this:

tim wrote in post #6807068 (external link)
Brackets and diffusers are completely different.

I use a Newton Flash Rotator. It lets me maintain my bounce angle and switch from portrait to landscape and back again without fenangling around with the flash head each time.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 18, 2008 01:08 |  #14

How do you find brackets helpful CDi? Apart from the bounce thing.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 18, 2008 01:11 |  #15

tim wrote in post #6900930 (external link)
How do you find brackets helpful CDi? Apart from the bounce thing.

Mostly just the bounce thing. I don't consider them to be critical - just convenient.

Now there are brackets that suck and make using them more of a nuisance than a help...I've had those. And I hate them. I'd rather have no bracket than one of those suckers. But the flash (or camera) flip type are incredibly convenient as they maintain the head position. The Newtons are also very very small and light weight so they're not cumbersome and/or unwieldy.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

2,363 views & 0 likes for this thread
What bracket do you guys use?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.