Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 21, 2009 23:42 |  #1711

sheawyatt wrote in post #8151338 (external link)
^^ Yep, the summer solstice is today. I'd be out trying to capture the sunset right now if I didn't have an assignment due tomorrow still to complete... I can see it out my window.

Edit: let me guess, the 14L for that shot? It's a nice one...

Yup, the 14L was used on that one! I'm really having fun with that lens! ;)

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

sponsored links
HoOnZ
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 21, 2009 23:52 |  #1712

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #8151454 (external link)
Welcome aboard !

I never returned a 5DII but was planning on buying one until I found out about the 1DsMkII. It's a great camera and hundreds less expensive then a 5DII. If all you need is a no nonsense, built like a tank full frame camera, the 1DsMkII is impossible to beat in its price range.

Cheers!

Was there something that you wished your 1Ds MKII had that the 5D2 has?

- JOhn

Canon EOS 5D MkII - Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L MkI - Canon 50mm f/1.8 MkI

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 22, 2009 08:15 |  #1713

HoOnZ wrote in post #8151486 (external link)
Was there something that you wished your 1Ds MKII had that the 5D2 has?

- JOhn

The higher resolution and larger sized view screen would have been nice to have but beyond that, no. The video, lens micro adjust and the same old 9 point AF were all things I could definitely live without.

For me what was really important was the 45 point AF, the weather resistant body and the additional resolution I was looking for as a previous 5D classic owner and the 1DsMkII delivered all of those key features for me and at a lower price then the 5DII would have set me back. And along with having the 5DII gripped with an extra battery, this made the price differential even larger.

Anyway, please read this thread through and much of this will be explained in greater detail.

Cheers!

HoOnZ
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 23, 2009 15:12 |  #1714

I found a used 1DsM2 at one of the local stores here and they were selling it for about $2300+ 6% Tax. The camera looked fine but you can see the slight scratches of being used. They said that the camera was tested and calibrated before reselling it used. The guy even offered to give me an additional 2 year warranty. I guess through Mack since he mentioned something about Mack being in NJ. Do you guys think it's a good buy? I've been scoping the forums and such but I don't see any 1DsM2 being sold close to 2 grand. Too bad the batteries weren't charged because I didn't get to see what the menus or the LCD looks like.

Canon EOS 5D MkII - Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L MkI - Canon 50mm f/1.8 MkI

Tyreman
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2009 15:24 |  #1715

HoOnZ wrote in post #8160925 (external link)
I found a used 1DsM2 at one of the local stores here and they were selling it for about $2300+ 6% Tax. The camera looked fine but you can see the slight scratches of being used. They said that the camera was tested and calibrated before reselling it used. The guy even offered to give me an additional 2 year warranty. I guess through Mack since he mentioned something about Mack being in NJ. Do you guys think it's a good buy? I've been scoping the forums and such but I don't see any 1DsM2 being sold close to 2 grand. Too bad the batteries weren't charged because I didn't get to see what the menus or the LCD looks like.

Check it out thoroughly.
zero the personal and custom functions first
turn off the noise reduction
Go outside shoot some nice pale blue sky without clouds or sun to check the shutter.
run in shutter priority fast also to see
do it fast shooting and single.
make sure all the focus light points do work(sometimes depends on mode what you see)
look in the viewfinder and lcd screen etc for the proper info.
do some photos and dl'd them and look
how many accutations?
if its original batteries you can gauge from the acutations the approximate goodness of the batteries.(roughly)

look at the image on a proper screen not the lcd viewer on camera.
just generally go over it and through the menu trying things
price sounds okay depends a lot on condition to.

Canon 1DX II
Canon 1DX
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
EF50mm f/1.8 STM
580 EX II

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 23, 2009 15:31 |  #1716

HoOnZ wrote in post #8160925 (external link)

The price sounds reasonable especially if there's to be a 2 year warranty on it!

If complete with all the original accessories, there should have been an AC adapter to power camera up so you could check it out, even if the battery(s)? weren't charged up.

Otherwise, the manual is available on line if you want to see the layout of the menus.

You might also want to inquire about how many actuations there are on the shutter. It's rated for 200,000 clicks but obviously, lower numbers are nicer then higher ones.

Cheers!

cicopo
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 23, 2009 15:33 |  #1717

Re the 5D2 vs the 1Ds2 both are excellent cameras and some prefer one over the other for specific reasons. Personally I prefer my 1Ds2 so last week I answered a Want to Buy ad and I no longer own my 5D2. Luckily I was able to recover most of what it cost thanks to them being out of stock at most dealers. Try as I did I just couldn't justify having it sit there while I kept reaching for the 1Ds2. I'll likely buy a 50D at some point for my lightweight body.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

M3Rocket
580 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 23, 2009 15:39 |  #1718

DPR has a good number of photos on two pages showing the menus and myriad custom and personal functions:
http://www.dpreview.co​m …anonEOS1DsMkII/​page10.asp (external link)

Shutter count is an important question to ask. But if the included warranty covers the shutter, then there are no worries! Also, make sure the batteries hold a good charge--though that's harder to test, and I doubt it's covered by the warranty.

iLUKphotography (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,917 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 23, 2009 15:42 |  #1719

What makes me not to get 5DII over 1DsII is that i've got 1DsIII.
I got used to 1DsII and use it sometimes now at work, but i love my 1DsIII in fact, so only 1DsII is a backup for my 1DsIII.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Tyreman
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2009 15:53 |  #1720

cicopo wrote in post #8161064 (external link)
Re the 5D2 vs the 1Ds2 both are excellent cameras and some prefer one over the other for specific reasons. Personally I prefer my 1Ds2 so last week I answered a Want to Buy ad and I no longer own my 5D2. Luckily I was able to recover most of what it cost thanks to them being out of stock at most dealers. Try as I did I just couldn't justify having it sit there while I kept reaching for the 1Ds2. I'll likely buy a 50D at some point for my lightweight body.

Sold the 5D2?

Canon 1DX II
Canon 1DX
EF50mm f/1.8 STM
580 EX II

HoOnZ
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 23, 2009 16:08 |  #1721

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #8161049 (external link)
The price sounds reasonable especially if there's to be a 2 year warranty on it!

If complete with all the original accessories, there should have been an AC adapter to power camera up so you could check it out, even if the battery(s)? weren't charged up.

Otherwise, the manual is available on line if you want to see the layout of the menus.

You might also want to inquire about how many actuations there are on the shutter. It's rated for 200,000 clicks but obviously, lower numbers are nicer then higher ones.

Cheers!

I was on my lunch break so I didn't get to thoroughly looks through the camera. When I have the money at hand I'll probably take more time checking out the camera... IF they still have it. I just hate paying close to two hundred dollars in taxes for a used item. lol

I asked about the actuation history but they said they don't know and that only Canon can check it out which I know is not 100% accurate.

Thanks!

Tyreman
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2009 16:18 |  #1722

HoOnZ wrote in post #8161253 (external link)
I was on my lunch break so I didn't get to thoroughly looks through the camera. When I have the money at hand I'll probably take more time checking out the camera... IF they still have it. I just hate paying close to two hundred dollars in taxes for a used item. lol

I asked about the actuation history but they said they don't know and that only Canon can check it out which I know is not 100% accurate.

Thanks!

Take a laptop in with cancount do some picks and voila,

as far as taxes if its a good unit its priced right so buying even adding taxes you are still good to go.

Canon 1DX II
Canon 1DX
EF50mm f/1.8 STM
580 EX II

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 23, 2009 17:21 |  #1723

with a 24-70 and a 580ex you get to work them biceps as well...

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

cicopo
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 23, 2009 21:28 |  #1724

Yes I sold the 5D2. I really didn't find that it did anything I needed done any better than my 1Ds2, so before the depreciation would have made me keep it I took advantage of an opportunity to sell it without much of a loss. So far I'm not having any regrets so I think I did what works for me. I had no need for video, and I really don't shoot low light very often, plus as a smaller light weight body I still needed to carry a flash with me way too often. A 50D or 40D can easily do what I need in a small & light body for a lot less money.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 23, 2009 22:16 as a reply to  @ cicopo's post |  #1725

Just a bit of an odd shot I took tonight after sundown, purposely over exposing the scene and then correcting in post to create an interesting effect! The lens flare was artificially added but the rest of it was in the original frame....more or less. :D

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i66.photobucket​.com …ister/VV4G4388T​Vsmall.jpg (external link)

Cheers!

sponsored links

1,407,024 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.