Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 20, 2009 21:04 |  #3226

AudibleSilence wrote in post #9053713 (external link)
Well my friend offered me his mark 2 for $2,100, but my sale for my 1ds didn't go as planned (my fault). I have a choice..either keep my 1ds and buy his 1ds2 out of pocket, or pick up a 24-70L and 70-200L next week. I think I'm going to just invest in glass :(

As much as I love my 1DsMkII, I think investing in good glass is probably the smarter move.

Keep in mind, right now, the mkII is only one generation old. Once the MkIV comes out, it's going to be considered an absolute antique and it's street price will take another heavy downward dive.

Hold on to yours, the 1Ds classic, for another 8 to 12 months, enjoy the new glass and then next summer, you might be able to scoop up a MkIII for around $3K or a mkII for maybe 1200 bucks.

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

sponsored links
sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 20, 2009 21:08 as a reply to  @ The Ghost of FM's post |  #3227

Got rained out this afternoon – was looking to be an epic evening for clouds but the wind picked up and brought in a huge wall of grey. Salvaged one shot out of the 7 I took.

2 min exposure to smooth out the water (10-stop ND)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i169.photobucke​t.com …_15-52-04_CattlePoint.jpg (external link)

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 20, 2009 21:54 as a reply to  @ sheawyatt's post |  #3228

Nice scene, Shea! ;)

The b&w processing looks nice too!

Cheers!

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 21, 2009 05:59 |  #3229
bannedPermanent ban

Shea I downloaded some lightroom B&W actions that really give you a variety in so far as processing. I can email them to you :)

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2009 11:48 |  #3230

....., or pick up a 24-70L and 70-200L next week. I think I'm going to just invest in glass...

Mike,
If you buy those two lenses and click them onto the front of your 1DS....you may not even WANT to get rid of it ! I use those and the 17-40 a lot on my 1DS.....awesome combinations....all.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,917 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 21, 2009 11:56 |  #3231

Ofcourse, the must have zoom for all time are those: 16/17-24/40, 24-70/24-105, 70-200L

I mean three zooms from say 16 or 17 up to 200 are enough, i can travel with only those 3 and i do a lot without more another lenses, but i don't limit myself to 2 or 3 lenses anyway! ;-)a

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 21, 2009 15:52 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #3232

Well, I decided to go out and do a bit of post fall color shooting at the park today..found a couple of spots that might look nice once it snows but that's a few weeks away still, I hope!

One for now...

http://i66.photobucket​.com …ster/VV4G7077HD​Rsmall.jpg (external link)

And hopefully, one or two later, once I've finished processing a few more.

Cheers!

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 21, 2009 21:10 as a reply to  @ The Ghost of FM's post |  #3233

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #9054042 (external link)
Nice scene, Shea! ;)

The b&w processing looks nice too!

Cheers!

Thanks Jeff, B&W was really the only option given the complete lack of any colour in the scene. B&W suits Victoria very well in the late Fall and through the winter, because there is basically no colour whatsoever.

AudibleSilence wrote in post #9055205 (external link)
Shea I downloaded some lightroom B&W actions that really give you a variety in so far as processing. I can email them to you :)

Thanks, but I'm an Aperture guy! The B&W processing ability in lightroom is tempting though... I'm waiting to see how Apple responds to LR3 before considering a switch.

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 21, 2009 21:26 as a reply to  @ sheawyatt's post |  #3234

A couple more shots processed from today...

http://i66.photobucket​.com …er/VV4G7087fuse​dsmall.jpg (external link)

http://i66.photobucket​.com …meister/VV4G709​7small.jpg (external link)

Cheers!

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 21, 2009 21:57 |  #3235

So uh, can anyone comment on the high-iso (1600, 3200) of the 1Ds2 versus that of the 40D, 1D3 and now 5D2?

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 21, 2009 22:06 |  #3236

Headshotzx wrote in post #9059105 (external link)
So uh, can anyone comment on the high-iso (1600, 3200) of the 1Ds2 versus that of the 40D, 1D3 and now 5D2?

If you read through the first few pages of this thread, you should have all the answers to your questions.

Cheers!

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 21, 2009 22:21 |  #3237

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #9059179 (external link)
If you read through the first few pages of this thread, you should have all the answers to your questions.

Cheers!

Aie, sorry I missed that first few pages!

So basically it's the same as the 5D classic's high-ISO, which means it's ever so slightly better than the 40D, and so when comparing 1Ds2's 16mp to the 50D's 15mp, the 1Ds2 still trumps it. Comparing to the 1D3, knowing that the 1D3 > 40D by about 2/3 stops at ISO1600-3200, the 1D3 > 1Ds2 by about 2/3 stop.

Ok, enough math. Prices are really low now here in Singapore, with stuff going off at 3.1k to 3.3k SGD as it is on the forum. I might wanna go this way instead of a 5D2 and get myself a nice low-light prime.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

oeyvind
376 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Nov 21, 2009 23:10 as a reply to  @ Headshotzx's post |  #3238

Brought my 1Ds MK II and 5D to the hills of Darjeeling and Sikkim... some pix

http://www.flickr.com …d/sets/72157622​601693918/ (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 22, 2009 00:16 |  #3239

Headshotzx wrote in post #9059256 (external link)
Aie, sorry I missed that first few pages!

So basically it's the same as the 5D classic's high-ISO, which means it's ever so slightly better than the 40D, and so when comparing 1Ds2's 16mp to the 50D's 15mp, the 1Ds2 still trumps it. Comparing to the 1D3, knowing that the 1D3 > 40D by about 2/3 stops at ISO1600-3200, the 1D3 > 1Ds2 by about 2/3 stop.

Ok, enough math. Prices are really low now here in Singapore, with stuff going off at 3.1k to 3.3k SGD as it is on the forum. I might wanna go this way instead of a 5D2 and get myself a nice low-light prime.

If you are a math freak or a pixel peeper, the 1DsMkII probably isn't for you if you're all uptight about ISO noise.

The reality is, this is close to a 5 year old model at this point. It's high ISO performance is probably the last reason on earth to buy one verses another camera. a 5DII will smoke it in that the department. That said, there's far more to life then high ISO performance and the 1DsMkII has numerous benefit features that have been repeated over and over and over again.

Also, as I see you asking for comparisons of noise in 1.3 and 1.6 crop bodies, I have to wonder just how preliminary your search is for a camera body, if you haven't at least made a firm decision about wanting/needing a full frame sensor body? Do you shoot a lot of wide landscape and portraits? Theses are the traditional users of full frame bodies because they need the full potential of the lenses for width and depth of field.

If you're not sure about these things, there are numerous threads here to help you through that thought process.

Good luck.

Cheers!

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 22, 2009 00:27 |  #3240

oeyvind wrote in post #9059448 (external link)
Brought my 1Ds MK II and 5D to the hills of Darjeeling and Sikkim... some pix

http://www.flickr.com …d/sets/72157622​601693918/ (external link)

Wow!

Beautiful series! And many great shots with excellent compositions, great subjects and good exposures! You certainly know how to use your gear well.

Looks like the trip of a lifetime to visit were you did! My brother went there back in the 1990's with his Nikon kit and took many similar subjects to yours, though yours came out nicer!

Cheers!

sponsored links

1,407,594 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.