Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 22, 2009 01:26 |  #3241

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #9059702 (external link)
If you are a math freak or a pixel peeper, the 1DsMkII probably isn't for you if you're all uptight about ISO noise.

The reality is, this is close to a 5 year old model at this point. It's high ISO performance is probably the last reason on earth to buy one verses another camera. a 5DII will smoke it in that the department. That said, there's far more to life then high ISO performance and the 1DsMkII has numerous benefit features that have been repeated over and over and over again.

Also, as I see you asking for comparisons of noise in 1.3 and 1.6 crop bodies, I have to wonder just how preliminary your search is for a camera body, if you haven't at least made a firm decision about wanting/needing a full frame sensor body? Do you shoot a lot of wide landscape and portraits? Theses are the traditional users of full frame bodies because they need the full potential of the lenses for width and depth of field.

If you're not sure about these things, there are numerous threads here to help you through that thought process.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Indeed I am in the midst of doing my research on the 5D2 vs 1Ds2 decision. I understand that noise control isn't the best thing to go for in the 1Ds2. I currently have a 400D and have a 1DIIn reserved from a member here. Those 2 cameras have imo very similar ISO1600 noise amounts, and I regularly push my 400D to iso3200 in post, with NR and it's fine.

However there are reviews out there that state that the 1Ds2 has the same high-iso control as that of the 1D2 (and thus, similar to my 400D), whereas from 100% shots I've seen, the 1Ds2 is on par with a 5D, which is better than the 400D. Difficult to correctly determine I guess.

I know I want a full frame camera because I borrowed a 5D2 and shot well with it last time. I also borrowed a 1D2 to shoot sports and loved the AF and built and everything 1 series. Short of getting canon to churn out something like a Nikon D3, I feel that the best compromise between IQ, Speed and Price is the 1Ds2.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

sponsored links
zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 22, 2009 08:39 |  #3242

the jump and the landing :) Camera jpgs, have no time to post the raws I have done over 1500 shots these 2 days, the ai servo of this camera is amazing!!! however there are some flaws luckily, i would not want all shots to be perfect (post process) ( hopefully I can bin 300 or so...)

I was shooting video as well from 2 angles (5d and 7d) not soo good - too much dust, the 1 - no problem all of them covered in brown dust ( note too you guys dont buy a 5d or 7d from mike...) all very fun though!!!

i wanted to process before posting but aperture is writing previews and tonight im gonna start with the video edit so it will all have to wait.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 22, 2009 08:59 |  #3243

Headshotzx wrote in post #9059877 (external link)
Indeed I am in the midst of doing my research on the 5D2 vs 1Ds2 decision. I understand that noise control isn't the best thing to go for in the 1Ds2. I currently have a 400D and have a 1DIIn reserved from a member here. Those 2 cameras have imo very similar ISO1600 noise amounts, and I regularly push my 400D to iso3200 in post, with NR and it's fine.

However there are reviews out there that state that the 1Ds2 has the same high-iso control as that of the 1D2 (and thus, similar to my 400D), whereas from 100% shots I've seen, the 1Ds2 is on par with a 5D, which is better than the 400D. Difficult to correctly determine I guess.

I know I want a full frame camera because I borrowed a 5D2 and shot well with it last time. I also borrowed a 1D2 to shoot sports and loved the AF and built and everything 1 series. Short of getting canon to churn out something like a Nikon D3, I feel that the best compromise between IQ, Speed and Price is the 1Ds2.

Well, probably the best way to characterize the 1600/H ISO noise is that it is fully manageable with PP NR and more similar to film grain noise then traditional digital noise...if the term, "traditional digital noise" has meaning to you.

I was a previous 5D owner who was strongly considering moving to the 5D MkII and thankfully, because of the initial stock shortages, I had the time and opportunity to discover the 1DsMKII and for me, the over all feature-set and build quality is what helped me to choose it over the 5DMkII.

You seem to keep restating that the 1Ds MkII is the right choice for you so, if that's in-fact true, it's probably time to end the debates and comparisons and now find a decent one and get on with the business of using and enjoy it. If however, you are more in love with the activity of debating and measurebating instead of shooting and developing those skills, I'm afraid you may have come to the wrong thread.

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 22, 2009 09:09 |  #3244

zincozinco wrote in post #9060872 (external link)
the jump and the landing :) Camera jpgs, have no time to post the raws I have done over 1500 shots these 2 days, the ai servo of this camera is amazing!!! however there are some flaws luckily, i would not want all shots to be perfect (post process) ( hopefully I can bin 300 or so...)

I was shooting video as well from 2 angles (5d and 7d) not soo good - too much dust, the 1 - no problem all of them covered in brown dust ( note too you guys dont buy a 5d or 7d from mike...) all very fun though!!!

i wanted to process before posting but aperture is writing previews and tonight im gonna start with the video edit so it will all have to wait.

Cool sample shots, zz! ;)

I don't think I could cope with a 1500 shot session. :oops: Probably because of my love to spend lots of time processing each shot, that would keep me busy for a couple of years! :lol:

Have fun! It looks like a cool event to cover.

Cheers!

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 22, 2009 10:07 as a reply to  @ The Ghost of FM's post |  #3245

One more processed from yesterday's shoot...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i66.photobucket​.com …meister/VV4G709​0small.jpg (external link)

Cheers!

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 22, 2009 11:42 |  #3246

Thanks, and a nice winterscape above!! - thats what i meant if the ai servo was 100% - WAY too many shots too process.....

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 22, 2009 11:46 as a reply to  @ zincozinco's post |  #3247

Thanks, zz!

I think I better take a break...things are getting too trippy now! :lol:

http://i66.photobucket​.com …meister/VV4G708​3small.jpg (external link)

Cheers!

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 22, 2009 11:48 |  #3248

one thing is sure anyway the 1 stays, i was gonna trade it for a 5 but after an event like this where you need both the af and the weather seal.... Nothing beats it except the MK3.....

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 22, 2009 11:49 |  #3249

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #9061687 (external link)
Thanks, zz!

I think I better take a break...things are getting too trippy now! :lol:

QUOTED IMAGE

Cheers!

whoaaaa that makes my head in - very COOL!!!

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 22, 2009 12:47 |  #3250

zincozinco wrote in post #9061700 (external link)
whoaaaa that makes my head in - very COOL!!!

My universal translator seems to be malfunctioning at the moment but I take that as a good thing! :lol:

Thanks zz! ;)

Cheers!

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 22, 2009 12:50 |  #3251

zincozinco wrote in post #9061696 (external link)
one thing is sure anyway the 1 stays, i was gonna trade it for a 5 but after an event like this where you need both the af and the weather seal.... Nothing beats it except the MK3.....

Yup!

For sure!

It's good to have a camera that's built so tough that you'll be ready to run in from the elements before it will! ;)

Cheers!

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,177 posts
Gallery: 357 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 22, 2009 20:12 |  #3252

^ That's pretty cool Jeff... I love the mirror effect... Hhehehehehhee...

So yesterday, the wifey wanted to check out the Griffith Observatory here in SoCal... We haven't visited the place since 2002 and has since been remodeled... I wasn't going to say "no", right?! Hhehehehehe... So I packed up some gear and we droved to the observatory... The $93 million dollar, five year renovation was amazing to say the least... Anyhoo, here are a few samples from yesterday's visit...

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2511/4125184249_1361a7611c_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/4125184805_05771395f0_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2567/4125952862_91dd416601_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2686/4125950954_f17865d28a_b.jpg

I'll head back (without the wifey) for a more thorough photographic adventure... Hhhehehehhee...

- airbutchie :)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 22, 2009 20:34 as a reply to  @ airbutchie's post |  #3253

Nice shooting AB! ;)

That looks like a really cool place to take some unique pictures!

I had the chance to do some shooting at the local observatory just north of Toronto, a few months back and they're now using a few of my shots on their website!

http://i66.photobucket​.com …ter/VV4G4941cop​ysmall.jpg (external link)

Cheers!

rguil15
29 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 22, 2009 21:39 |  #3254

Consider me an admirer, I had a rebel, played with a 1ds mk I, sold the Rebel. Thought maybe the 50D would be "good enough", it felt like a toy unfortunately . Sold it. Now there is a local 1ds mkII available to me for 1900 bucks with less than 4000 actuations.

My question is, do you think the 1d mk VI hitting the shelves will bring down the price of these cameras even further, or are they in such different markets now, pricewise, that it shouldn't affect the 1ds mk II and I've found about the best deal I'm going to? Thanks for you thoughts.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 22, 2009 23:06 |  #3255

rguil15 wrote in post #9064664 (external link)
Consider me an admirer, I had a rebel, played with a 1ds mk I, sold the Rebel. Thought maybe the 50D would be "good enough", it felt like a toy unfortunately . Sold it. Now there is a local 1ds mkII available to me for 1900 bucks with less than 4000 actuations.

My question is, do you think the 1d mk VI hitting the shelves will bring down the price of these cameras even further, or are they in such different markets now, pricewise, that it shouldn't affect the 1ds mk II and I've found about the best deal I'm going to? Thanks for you thoughts.

The next major price drop will probably occur when the next 1DsMkIV comes out. I doubt the 1.3 crop series has any effect.

Anyway, $1900 is a steal and you'd be a fool to pass it up if its in good shape with all the accessories. Why miss out on months and months of shooting opportunities on the hope of further prices drops of perhaps 300-400 dollars? If you buy it now, you'll have a full frame, 45 pt AF camera that you can use in almost any weather condition and winter is right around the corner!

Something else to consider; a 1DsMkII is always going to be worth more the a 5D classic because of all the extra goodies it offers so if you've got any wishful ideas about it dropping to significantly lower prices then I've alluded to, you might want to reconsider.

Ultimately though, it's your money and your decision. Most folks though, who know how good a camera this is wouldn't hesitate. ;)

Cheers!

sponsored links

1,406,239 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.