Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 13:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mini test: Canon EF 24-70 vs. EF-S 18-55 kit lens

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2008 13:16 |  #1

Test optimzed to 1000px wide monitors. Sorry if it's too large - my monitor is 1920px)

Since comparing the Canon EF 24-70 L to the EF-S 18-55 has been a bit of a curiosity to me, I thought I'd compare the two now since the question was raised in another post.

I took a shot with some challenging dynamic range using the same exposure settings for both lenses. I tried to match the focal length on both lenses, but you'll notice they didn't turn out exactly the same. My testing of the two lenses were fairly straight forward and I didn't go through a series of changed settings or conditions like more patient testers might.

I used a remote shutter, tripod and mirror slap enabled at ISO 200. Images were shot in RAW and all lightroom developer settings were disabled (sharpening, tone correction, etc.). They were exported to photoshop and cropped for closer inspection.

(1) Full images, resized to 500px (width) each.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

(2) 100% untouched at 1:1 view. Near-center portion is cropped.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

(3) 100% untouched at 1:1 view. Near-center portion is cropped.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

(4) 100% untouched at 1:1 view. Near-top portion is cropped.
- a view of the blown out background and its effect on the subject matter.
- EF lens on left, EFS lens on right.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Conclusion: The results speak for themselves - sharpness, color and contrast are in favor of the Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8 L lens (no surprises!). The EF-S kit lens holds up to its reputation as a good value lens. Some slight distortion is also evident in the EFS shot.

You may want to import the larger images into photoshop as layers (turning off and on) for a better visual comparison.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
Superficialodds
284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 03, 2008 13:30 |  #2

Both lenses shot the flowers very well, images are nearly indistinguishable to me.

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2008 13:35 |  #3

It's the fault of the test. Colors and light/dark values are limited. Even detail is limited to flower edges since there really aren't a lot of sharp textures to be seen.

It's been said before, but if you print at 5x7 then the lens you really makes little difference (other than for the sake of challenging conditions). I suppose under controlled, studio conditions, this theory holds its strength best. It's funny that after all in the investments I've made in expensive glass, the performance I gain or only appreciated at very large prints which are few and far between the scrapbook pictures most clients order.

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 03, 2008 13:42 |  #4

This test shows how good the new 18-55 IS really is; its a great lens for the money.

Gear List

Michael

MKVMAX
70 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 03, 2008 13:52 |  #5

Yeah! Definitely what I was looking for!

Thanks a lot!

The difference is there!

www.maximelacouture.co​m (external link)

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 03, 2008 13:58 |  #6

How does the 18-55 perform at f/2.8?

Oh wait...

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

Nick_b
968 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 03, 2008 14:12 |  #7

sheawyatt wrote in post #6806149 (external link)

Oh wait...

I don't think she was discussing the overall performance of the two lenses. It's just a test shot.

50D, 2 x 20D, Elan 7E, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4 , 85mm 1.8, 200mm 2.8 II, flash 430EX, 580 EX
Canon G10
Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

ommmjido
26 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 03, 2008 16:07 |  #8

Oh wait...

N/A haha...

450D/ 50mm f/1.8 II/ 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS/ Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8/ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 03, 2008 17:24 |  #9

Red flowers are pretty bad test subjects because it's too easy to blow the red channel on Canon DSLRs, so you lose a lot of detail.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

BeritOlam
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 03, 2008 18:44 |  #10

Oh wait...

Aperture snob!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

There's a reason the 18-55 is called a 'consumer' lens and the 24-70 is called a 'pro' lens! ;)

This test demonstrates why most 'consumers' can be perfectly happy with an 18-55 kit lens.

Gear List

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. – Herbert Hoover

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 03, 2008 18:57 |  #11

But won't more or less every lens perform well at f/8? ;(
(I'm all for cheaper lenses as my signature states, but...)

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

bsawle
171 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 03, 2008 18:58 |  #12

At F8 most kit lens are eaqual to the L glass.

Bruce
Way to much Canon and Nikon equipment.

_Sim
532 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 03, 2008 19:02 |  #13

Oh good, I was starting to wonder what everyone was seeing that I wasn't. Looking at the pictures above, I didn't think there were very noticable differences between the pictures... at least not enough to warrant the price difference. But as a few other posters said, it'd be a different story at 2.8.

(My) flickr (external link) & Gear

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2008 19:37 |  #14

perryge wrote in post #6807386 (external link)
Red flowers are pretty bad test subjects because it's too easy to blow the red channel on Canon DSLRs, so you lose a lot of detail.

lol - your point is very much noted for any future tests I try out.

On the EF-S lens, at the focal length I was using, the narrowest aperture that I could use was f/5. I suppose I could have used this setting as a starting point. I was trying to eliminate any low depth of field that may have been produced since the flowers were a little over 2 feet from the lens so that I could produce a fully focused photograph.

I would have liked to go outside and shoot something further away with detail (ie. car) but there's a major snow storm outside, and well you know the rest.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,491 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 03, 2008 19:44 |  #15

Pearlallica wrote in post #6808164 (external link)
lol - your point is very much noted for any future tests I try out.

On the EF-S lens, at the focal length I was using, the narrowest aperture that I could use was f/5. I suppose I could have used this setting as a starting point. I was trying to eliminate any low depth of field that may have been produced since the flowers were a little over 2 feet from the lens so that I could produce a fully focused photograph.

I would have liked to go outside and shoot something further away with detail (ie. car) but there's a major snow storm outside, and well you know the rest.

That's OK, you still illustrated useful points. Yes, the L is a little better in the test, but the difference is small. This is what I would expect with both lenses stopped down.

The real 'purpose' in the more expensive lenses is not only that they are generally faster, but they are also better wide open. I would expect a bigger difference between the 'L' and the 18-55 with both wide open, and probably a noticeable difference with both shot at f/5.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

7,999 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mini test: Canon EF 24-70 vs. EF-S 18-55 kit lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.